Time Magazine: Secrets of Genius - Einstein, Jobs, Shakepseare & LordRena - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #31
country flag shoryuken

shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Time Magazine: Secrets of Genius - Einstein, Jobs, Shakepseare & LordRena

Whew mad??
\ /
I IV
serenaslam.tumblr.com
shoryuken is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #32
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
No one will remember Jobs or Williams in 50 years time.
I totally agree. But what can you expect from a US-based magazine that has to come up with 'the US is great' story week in and week out to attract advertising dollars

I used to buy TIME or Newsweek in the past, but I have found it's better to buy the daily International Herald Tribune, which is not so superficial and contains more interesting stories than these two weeklies.

And Serena is hardly a tennis genius, she's most of all a terrific athlete with great fitness and power. That's why the more talented Hingis was much more successful at an early age, until Serena grew big and powerful and started dominating.

Nice cover though
Petronius is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #33
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisboi View Post
This.

Plus it is Serena's second time on the cover of Time Magazine. Very impressive

crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #34
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by le bon vivant View Post
Serena (and Venus) ushered in a renaissance of non-white players into women's tennis. She is a black icon, the female Ali. She will never be forgotten. Seethe!
He doesn't know how much weight it carry that Serena is Black.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #35
country flag Poyana

Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of Poyana has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
I totally agree. But what can you expect from a US-based magazine that has to come up with 'the US is great' story week in and week out to attract advertising dollars
If it was purely to attract advertising dollars, why wouldn't they choose a less controversial figure? Serena's popular but I don't think she's the most popular athlete in the US. I'm curious to know what they wrote about her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
And Serena is hardly a tennis genius, she's most of all a terrific athlete with great fitness and power. That's why the more talented Hingis was much more successful at an early age, until Serena grew big and powerful and started dominating.
Oh come on. I don't know if you are just a hater or a fool but Serena doesn't win because she's big and strong. Have you tried hitting a tennis ball as hard as you can? Does it land in court? Serena has excellent technique for much of her game bar around the net. She is a skilled player, and a very good tactician.
Poyana is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #36
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

they forgot Miley Cyrus
homogenius is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #37
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenga View Post
He doesn't know how much weight it carry that Serena is Black.
Let them live in their Eurocentric bubbles of reality. Serena will never be forgotten by people of color.

Greatest American Tennis Player.
██████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #38
country flag legalise#
17 and counting!

legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future

YASSSS A true genius she is!
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #39
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poyana View Post
If it was purely to attract advertising dollars, why wouldn't they choose a less controversial figure? Serena's popular but I don't think she's the most popular athlete in the US. I'm curious to know what they wrote about her.
They have Jobs and Serena there, not just Serena. They are just riding the wave of who is CURRENTLY popular: Serena is now world No. 1 tennnis player and Apple is the world's No. 1 brand RIGHT NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poyana View Post
Oh come on. I don't know if you are just a hater or a fool but Serena doesn't win because she's big and strong. Have you tried hitting a tennis ball as hard as you can? Does it land in court? Serena has excellent technique for much of her game bar around the net. She is a skilled player, and a very good tactician.
Absolutely, but would you call her a GENIUS in the same sentence as EINSTEIN or SHAKESPEARE?

If yes, then
Petronius is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #40
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
She will be one of the great players of tennis history but you are right in so far as 95% of people at least will not know who she was by then. It's in the nature of sports stars that their public profile fades rapidly once they stop playing.

Shakespeare is still a household name nearly 400 years after he died. It's a safe bet that both Williams and jobs will have faded into obscurity by then.

No doubt Time magazine wanted to feature a couple of modern faces on their cover for this story. It's also an American magazine so they probably wanted an American or two represented. But I'm sure they're not suggesting that Williams and Jobs' achievements rank anything close to those of Shakespeare and Einstein. At least if they are then the editor is a complete fuckwit.
Fully agreed. It was my kneejerk reaction and perhaps I shouldn't have made that comment as it ruffled some feathers. People can be exceptional in various professions and disciplines, a business genius or an industrial design genius aren't less valuable or less worth examining because the long-term impact of their activity is smaller than a scientist's or a writer's.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #41
country flag it-girl
Veelieving!!!!!!!

it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not hating, just stating. And people are talking about BJK as one of the founders of WTA and 13-times slam champ, but outside of tennis her influence is slim to none.

And 50 years from now they'll put a popular athlete of that era on such cover.

It just struck me immediately upon seeing the Time cover that Williams' and Jobs' influence will be inexorably limited to the era they lived in, whereas Shakespeare and particularly Einstein's influence is more everlasting.

I guess that explains why BJK was honored by the President of the United States.

As for Serena Williams, she will be remembered 50 years from now whether you like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJSL View Post
This is not just a win for Serena. This is a win for TENNIS. We should celebrate this not try and bring it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
Not Serena by herself, rather the Williams sisters have booked their place in the history books as some of the greatest athletes of all time. Man or woman. They wont be forgotten in 50 years.

Awesome accomplishment for a living legend.

VEELIEVER ♥ RENA'S ARMY♥
it-girl is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #42
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

Is this new? Can I still get this?

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Hampton. Bouchard. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #43
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No one will remember Jobs or Williams in 50 years time.
You might be right about Jobs. (Although Henry Ford lives on in memory. Eli Whitney. Alexander Graham Bell.) But in sports, especially nowadays with so much video, it's hard to get forgotten if you were truly great. Sonny Liston was Mike Tyson before Mike Tyson. Babe Didricksen Zaharias died in 1956. Still considered by some the greatest female athlete of all time. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/siforwomen/top_100/1/. Dorothy Hammill's Olympic gold was 37 years ago. Think at least a few people on this board will remember her 13 years from now?

And of course, Serena had the great good fortune to be performing during the explosion of social media.

Serena Williams, at the moment, is the greatest female athlete in the world. She's had a long career with many accomplishments and a high level of visibility. And virtually all of those accomplishments were recorded on video. I have a feeling she'll be remembered in 50 years.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #44
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

An insult to Shakespeare's cheating ass?

Serena Williams has been the face, body, and talent of Women's tennis for so long. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #45
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not hating, just stating. And people are talking about BJK as one of the founders of WTA and 13-times slam champ, but outside of tennis her influence is slim to none.
One of the greatest positive influences on women's rights in the USA in the last century.

(She's not up there with Shakespeare and Einstein, but that's some seriously rarified air. Nobody in the history of sports is up there.)
Closed Thread