Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2 - Page 147 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #2191
country flag Nightcrawl3r

Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

"The first round was very difficult for me because I came from indoors at Fed Cup and it was pretty tough to adapt quickly - I had just one day to practice here," Halep said. "Kanepi had 5-3 in the third set against me and * I called my coach on court, and I just told him, 'It's over, I lost the match.'

"But he said I can win that one. And I did. And then I got more confident with my serve. I started to believe I had a chance at this tournament. I was fighting for every point and found my game again."

(* Wim Fissette )

"I feel very, very good now. I'm very happy I could win this tournament. It's amazing for me, because when I came here I didn't think I could reach the final, or win even. So it's amazing. It's the biggest tournament I've won. It's incredible here in Doha. The trophy presentation was very nice too.

"It's just incredible here."

Also , the post match Interview (it's different than what you read above, of course) : http://www.wtatennis.com/videos/arti...alep-interview

Also , Simona will (+90%) be ranked even higher than 9 after next week . Will even reach #6 if she , somehow , wins the title. https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?...pp=Excel&wdo=2

The only way Simona will not be ranked higher is if :

1. Jankovic and Kvitova play the semi-final.

2. Jankovic or Kvitova reach the semi-final and Errani reaches the Final

* Mihai, Romanov, Simionescu, Ruzici, Cristea, Sandu, Spirlea, Dragomir, Ehritt-Vanc, Bogdan, Gallovits-Hall, Cadantu *

TT-s: #136 - W: Vero Beach '14; TT-d: #131 - RUP: Beinasco '14, Prague '14 w/ Crux S, Contrexeville w/ Frenchtouch; Suicide: #48 - RUP: Acapulco '14; FITD: #80 - W: Rome '14; PAW: #79
Nightcrawl3r is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #2192
country flag ILC

ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all ILC is a name known to all

Serena looks like want retire or so. Anyway, she is not young as Simona. 10 years difference.
ILC is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #2193
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Simona
Biggest title of her career
Very proud of her

Matt Cronin is an idiot

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #2194
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

A nice analysis of Simona's final win on the WTA website:

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...ry-over-kerber

Despite this I still don't feel they are giving her anything like the attention she deserves. They couldn't get enough of Bouchard after her AO SF, but this is a far more impressive achievement.

I don't say this to put Genie down, she's a nice girl and a good and serious player. Just that those are not the reasons she's getting so much attention.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #2195
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
A nice analysis of Simona's final win on the WTA website:

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...ry-over-kerber

Despite this I still don't feel they are giving her anything like the attention she deserves. They couldn't get enough of Bouchard after her AO SF, but this is a far more impressive achievement.

I don't say this to put Genie down, she's a nice girl and a good and serious player. Just that those are not the reasons she's getting so much attention.
That may work to Halep's advantage though. She can (sorta) "quietly" work her way to the top while there will always be a lot of hoopla whenever a Bouchard, Stephens or Robson have a significant win. The lack of attention also means less pressure.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #2196

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
That may work to Halep's advantage though. She can (sorta) "quietly" work her way to the top while there will always be a lot of hoopla whenever a Bouchard, Stephens or Robson have a significant win. The lack of attention also means less pressure.
That's true, and I doubt that Simona will be overly bothered. I was thinking more from the WTA's perspective.

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that they tend to market the tour too much based on appearance and perceived star quality. Not that that's a bad idea in itself: if you've got it, you might as well flaunt it, and it can certainly help put bums on seats and increase revenues. But in Simona they have an opportunity to market the game itself. They largely missed that opportunity with Justine Henin, it would be a shame if they missed it with Simona as well.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #2197
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's true, and I doubt that Simona will be overly bothered. I was thinking more from the WTA's perspective.

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that they tend to market the tour too much based on appearance and perceived star quality. Not that that's a bad idea in itself: if you've got it, you might as well flaunt it, and it can certainly help put bums on seats and increase revenues. But in Simona they have an opportunity to market the game itself. They largely missed that opportunity with Justine Henin, it would be a shame if they missed it with Simona as well.
True, but that's human nature I suppose. Not just in tennis but in all walks of life. But Simona is not an 'ugly' girl and there will come a point when her achievements can no longer be 'ignored.'

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #2198
country flag Not A Fan

Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawl3r View Post
"Kanepi had 5-3 in the third set against me and * I called my coach on court, and I just told him, 'It's over, I lost the match.'

"But he said I can win that one. And I did. And then I got more confident with my serve. I started to believe I had a chance at this tournament. I was fighting for every point and found my game again."
Too bad there's no video of that moment, I'd love to rewatch it. I remember hearing Halep say "I lost my chance" (after she had BP the game before). defining moment of the tournament...
Not A Fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
True, but that's human nature I suppose. Not just in tennis but in all walks of life. But Simona is not an 'ugly' girl and there will come a point when her achievements can no longer be 'ignored.'
This is a good point. I like Justine, but it can't be denied that she is no beauty, and especially in her "first career" she also had quite a difficult and intense personality that would have been quite difficult to market.

Simona is no catwalk model, but she's quite pretty, and has a happy and accessible personality. An important factor is that her English language skills are also improving rapidly, and she is more relaxed and spontaneous in interviews and speeches. I think people will warm to her in time.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #2200
country flag Cosimo

Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all Cosimo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Fan View Post
Too bad there's no video of that moment, I'd love to rewatch it. I remember hearing Halep say "I lost my chance" (after she had BP the game before). defining moment of the tournament...
I couldn't hear anything Simona said, but I clearly heard Fissette saying two times in a row "You have to believe you can." And that was at 3-5 in the third set.
I would love to watch that match again, I still think it was the best of the tournament. Too bad nobody recorded it.

And I think Simona is a pure beauty.
Cosimo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
I couldn't hear anything Simona said, but I clearly heard Fissette saying two times in a row "You have to believe you can." And that was at 3-5 in the third set.
I would love to watch that match again, I still think it was the best of the tournament. Too bad nobody recorded it.

Especially when she smiles, she can light up a whole stadium
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #2202
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
This is a good point. I like Justine, but it can't be denied that she is no beauty, and especially in her "first career" she also had quite a difficult and intense personality that would have been quite difficult to market.

Simona is no catwalk model, but she's quite pretty, and has a happy and accessible personality. An important factor is that her English language skills are also improving rapidly, and she is more relaxed and spontaneous in interviews and speeches. I think people will warm to her in time.
I think that Justine wasn't perhaps loved but she definitely was admired because of her game which was eye candy. And after Hingis was gone she sorta took over the Calimero role of "little girl taking on big girl" vs the Williams sisters. Justine's problem was that it was just hard to warm to her personality. It was easier for a crowd to warm to a Hingis because her cocky comments were amusing coming from a girl who was physically the lesser of her main rivals, and, well, she WAS funny and very skilled. Justine was sorta the next Hingis, but she didn't do as good a job selling herself, probably for no other reason than that she was too shy or modest or something. I think that she just loved the challenge and hitting tennis balls but wasn't too keen on the celebrity factor that goes with the job when you're as good as she was.

As for Simona - her personality is still a blank sheet for most. I don't think that the public has yet an opinion on what she's like, like they have with a Serena, Li, Vika, Caro, Maria, etc. Of course, those opinions are mostly just perception. But perception is everything in showbizz and that's what tennis to some degree inevitably is.

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #2203

^Yeah, good points. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out in time. I doubt that Simona is particularly interested in cultivating an image for herself, and that alone makes it unlikely that she'll ever be seen as a huge star, even if she is successful as a player. But Vika and Na are also not particularly interested in that either, and they do okay. But they may have advantages Simona doesn't have, Na with her natural sense of humor and Vika with her ability to elicit strong emotional reactions from tennis fans (even negative reactions contribute to a player's fame and status).

It's hard to tell how that will pan out in Simona's case, but my initial feeling about her is that she is friendly and has a good personality, but is essentially quite private, a bit like my own top fave Sam. Those are features that are appreciated a lot by hardcore fans, but that don't cut much ice with the larger public.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #2204
country flag Not A Fan

Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post

only thing i heard was... "i lost my chance".

i do record some matches from time to time, meant to record that one but didn't get to. i have the other four Doha matches, fed cup against hungary and ukraine etc...
Not A Fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #2205
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think that Vika should be a bigger 'star' considering her achievements. Her problem is that although some find her a nuisance, she's not really seen as 'a rebel' like a, say, Jennifer Capriati who you would almost expect to show up at a fancy WTA party in a leather jacket and with a joint in her mouth. Of course she never did that, but she had that type of rock & roll image and many (including yours truly ) found it appealing. Vika doesn't really have any of that. I also think that her high pitched grunting hurts her popularity tremendously.

Li Na has it easy. I think that the Li Na you see is the real person and people love her, so she really doesn't have to do anything but be herself.

Simona seems like a likable down to earth type of girl. I think she will do allright for herself.

Closed Thread