I'm sorry... these tier 1's just aren't the same without - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 4th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #226
country flag dwyerfan

dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I'm sorry... these tier 1's just aren't the same without

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi1987 View Post
I don't understand why Sharapova should be missed , it was not that she was winning these events anyways.

Sharapova fans should get used to her absence from later rounds of big events. She is not getting younger and she is of the age when most players start their irreversible decline(this does not apply to Serena because she is infinitely talented).

Justine,Hingis,Safina were all retired at this point. I expect Maria to follow suit.
Exactly. Maria's prime is already over. The first half of this year is basically the end of her 2nd prime which lasted from mid 2010 to mid this year. It is very unlikely she will even win 1 more slam in the future, and she will very rarely be in late stages of major events from here.

That isnt a diss on Maria though, since as you said most people are past their prime at this point. Maria has had a 10 year prime already, that is a very long one. It is unlikely she could carry it any further and the 2nd half of this year is likely the sign of things to come.
dwyerfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #227
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Wow how much do you think she made off of that? Compared to what players like Maria and Ana make based off their looks? Enough said
The point is she could if she wanted. That ESPN Body Issue sold the most. Her asset is very popular with lots of men. But when you make average of 5 mill a year on court like she does and another 10 mill off court, no need to pimp your look. The Corporate Drone and Ivanovic need their looks more.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #228
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we should give Maria fans a place and space to reminisce.

It has been a rough year so far, the only thing Maria a chance of winning is the "Who Has The Better Body: Maria or Ana"?.
Even that... is not a done deal. Maria was trailing last time I checked.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Oct 5th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #229
country flag StarDuvallGrant
Golden State Of Mind

StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepaw View Post
miami final shits on uso final. uso final was like miami final 08 and wimbledon final 2012... third sets only happened because of horrendous serena choking.
Miami 2013 with a third set bagel does Invoke fond Maria memories That and the constant drivel from her now departed coach was gold.

StarDuvallGrant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #230
country flag Petersmiler
Team WTAworld

Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyerfan View Post
Exactly. Maria's prime is already over. The first half of this year is basically the end of her 2nd prime which lasted from mid 2010 to mid this year. It is very unlikely she will even win 1 more slam in the future, and she will very rarely be in late stages of major events from here.

That isnt a diss on Maria though, since as you said most people are past their prime at this point. Maria has had a 10 year prime already, that is a very long one. It is unlikely she could carry it any further and the 2nd half of this year is likely the sign of things to come.
Oh come on, now I dislike the woman as much as the next sane person, the combination of aloofness and that ridiculous noise she produces makes it very difficult not to cheer against her. Never mind her questionable integrity that makes Justine look like Miss FairPlay in comparison.

However, she has been injured most of this year and the penultimate slam she entered she reached the final, so to sound the death knell on her career seems premature to me, unfortunately. She's unlikely to beat Serena to win a slam, but when you consider the other players in the Top 10, she certainly has a good record against most of them.

In the context of this thread, no, I haven't missed her simply because the US open was exciting and the race to the finish line has been hotly contested during the Asian swing. However, I would miss cheering on her opponents if she was still out by the time the Aussie comes around.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Petersmiler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #231
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyerfan View Post

No one takes this as a diss cause you have no idea how well Maria will perform in those coming years.
This is just your very biased opinion and please stop trying so hard just so everyone believe your words.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #232
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow how much do you think she made off of that? Compared to what players like Maria and Ana make based off their looks? Enough said
And how much do Ana and Maria make ON court with their tennis?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #233
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute

i thought the question here was about tennis and not about the player's look.

no, sharapova is not missed. yes, she makes more money on magazines, but she has to win money on something beside making kids more fat with that candy. she just can't win more matches.

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #234
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
And how much do Ana and Maria make ON court with their tennis?!
Maria did very fine on on courts earnings in 2012 and 2013. About 5 millions last year and 3.5 this year while she hasn't really played since Wimbledon. Do not put Maria and Ana in the same sentence.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #235
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmiler View Post
Oh come on, now I dislike the woman as much as the next sane person, the combination of aloofness and that ridiculous noise she produces makes it very difficult not to cheer against her. Never mind her questionable integrity that makes Justine look like Miss FairPlay in comparison.

However, she has been injured most of this year and the penultimate slam she entered she reached the final, so to sound the death knell on her career seems premature to me, unfortunately. She's unlikely to beat Serena to win a slam, but when you consider the other players in the Top 10, she certainly has a good record against most of them.

In the context of this thread, no, I haven't missed her simply because the US open was exciting and the race to the finish line has been hotly contested during the Asian swing. However, I would miss cheering on her opponents if she was still out by the time the Aussie comes around.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
so what you're saying is that only insane folks can cheer for Maria?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #236
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
so what you're saying is that only insane folks can cheer for Maria?
Is that inaccurate?
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #237
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dude Maria makes A LOT more money in endorsements than Serena and Serena has been on the tour much longer, is way more accomplished and has 13 more slams in her bag... You do the math. I'm not gonna waste my time talking about this with someone who has zero common sense or chooses to disregard reality on purpose just to try to contradict someone.
I'm sorry..but you want to tell us that because Maria makes all of that money off court, she should be missed on court?!

Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #238
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

I hope people can distinguish Dominic from SS
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #239
bandabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Maria did very fine on on courts earnings in 2012 and 2013. About 5 millions last year and 3.5 this year while she hasn't really played since Wimbledon. Do not put Maria and Ana in the same sentence.
Dominic started to mention ana/maria in the same sentence with Serena, no?!

Old Oct 5th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #240
country flag doomsday

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
Is that inaccurate?
Oh no it's ok. Normal people are boring anyway