Vika 2014 Schedule Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #1
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Vika 2014 Schedule Thread

What schedule would you like to see Vika play in 2014?

I was thinking:

Brisbane
Australian Open
Doha
Indian Wells
Miami
Stuttgart
Madrid
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Montreal
Cincinnati
US Open
Beijing

I think it's pretty clear at this point Vika should be playing a pretty minimal schedule. I would have included Dubai, but I think it's too risky with her already sitting on a double fine this year, Stuttgart looks the best of the rest of the options. She'd be able to get a late wildcard from Dubai if she wanted to play it anyway.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vika 2014 Schedule Thread

I'd say:

Brisbane
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Doha
(Dubai?)
Indian Wells
Miami
(Stuttgart?)
Madrid
Rome
French Open
Birmingham
Wimbledon
Montréal
Cincinnati
US Open
Tokyo
Beijing

It's very hard to say. I think she could use a grass-court warm-up and she probably won't be winning RG anyway, so Birmingham makes sense. I don't really like Stuttgart or Dubai because Doha/Dubai tires her out early in the year but Stuttgart/Madrid/Rome is a little bit busy for the clay season. Also, I'd much prefer Stanford to Montréal, but I also hope she doesn't go to this idiotic Wuhan event . Even though Tokyo seems cursed, I think it makes sense to play (even so soon after the US Open) because it's slightly less competition than Wuhan with better conditions and gives her a week of rest before Beijing. Also, if she doesn't play Wuhan I think Linz or Osaka could be smart in case something like this year happens in the fall.

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon | Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Ha I am probably going to Birmingham next year, but aside from a purely selfish point of view I don't think she should play it. It's the week after French Open, from 2015 it's probably recommendable when the grass season gets extended by a week, but next year that seems an awful lot of tennis to be playing in a short period of time.

I removed Wuhan from the schedule on the basis of her comments today. I think USO to Asia in a couple of weeks is too quick a turnaround.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #4
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

I wish they'd put a week between Moscow and YEC then. It is too quick of a turnaround, but playing only one event in the fall seems a bit too little. But it comes down to more time to refresh during the year or during the off season.

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #5
country flag ozza

It's even worse next year when the YEC is in Singapore. Who is going to want to play in Europe the week before Singapore? In order to play something like Linz she would have to go Beijing - Linz - week off - Singapore. That doesn't sound very feasible either.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

She's not playing Linz or Luxembourg this year, why would she play there next year?

I think she will keep her schedule light again and I will probably be out of luck again. Going to Dubai, Stuttgart & Eastbourne next year and I bet she won't play neither of them

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #7
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
She's not playing Linz or Luxembourg this year, why would she play there next year?

I think she will keep her schedule light again and I will probably be out of luck again. Going to Dubai, Stuttgart & Eastbourne next year and I bet she won't play neither of them
She basically has to play one of these, or at least commit to one of them. According to spiceboy they have changed the premier 700 commitment rule from next year and now any 2 count. But most of these are on terrible weeks. Almost certainly one will be Brisbane. Then your left with these.

Sydney - I don't see her playing both weeks going into AO.
Paris - The week after AO. No thanks.
Dubai - Week after Doha. The fact she's late withdrawn last 2 years is the main off putting thing.
Charleston - No chance.
Stuttgart - The best place in the calendar outside of Brisbane of any of these.
Birmingham - The week after FO.
Eastbourne - The week before Wimbledon.
Stanford - The week before Montreal, Cincinnati. Hard to see her playing 3 weeks in a row in build up to USO.
New Haven - No chance.
Tokyo - A week after USO. She seems to like it here. But she's got ill here the last 2 years, hard to see her playing.
Moscow - The week before Singapore.

I think from 2015 she'd be better off playing Birmingham (which is nowhere near as nice as Eastbourne incidentally, but alas it is what it is).

The only good options feel like Dubai and Stuttgart.

I actually thought she'd enter Monterrey again after saying she'd love to go there after this year fell through. But they've already announced Ivanovic and Wozniacki, so it seems unlikely.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #8
country flag iGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It's even worse next year when the YEC is in Singapore. Who is going to want to play in Europe the week before Singapore? In order to play something like Linz she would have to go Beijing - Linz - week off - Singapore. That doesn't sound very feasible either.
Well she'll probably go back home anyway rather than stay in Asia for 2+ weeks between Beijing and YEC.

^^I think there's a good chance of Dubai OR Stuttgart next year…

Also, what are the rules about Premier 5s? Does she have to play 4/5?

Doha -obviously.
Rome - makes sense.
Montreal - it's not really ideal right before Cincinnati but before than frickin Wuhan.
Cincinnati - obviously.
Wuhan - I bet she'll play but I don't think she should.

For regular Premiers, I still feel that Stanford and Tokyo (if not the Premier she doesn't play the Premier 5s after) seem reasonable but it is a tough schedule.

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOAT View Post
Well she'll probably go back home anyway rather than stay in Asia for 2+ weeks between Beijing and YEC.

^^I think there's a good chance of Dubai OR Stuttgart next year…

Also, what are the rules about Premier 5s? Does she have to play 4/5?

Doha -obviously.
Rome - makes sense.
Montreal - it's not really ideal right before Cincinnati but before than frickin Wuhan.
Cincinnati - obviously.
Wuhan - I bet she'll play but I don't think she should.

For regular Premiers, I still feel that Stanford and Tokyo (if not the Premier she doesn't play the Premier 5s after) seem reasonable but it is a tough schedule.
You have to play at least 4 of the Premier 5s and can't not commit to the one you didn't commit to last year. So she must commit to Montreal next year. I don't think she should play Wuhan either.

Last edited by ozza : Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #10
country flag Exordes

Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What schedule would you like to see Vika play in 2014?

I was thinking:

Brisbane
Australian Open
Doha
Indian Wells
Miami
Stuttgart
Madrid
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Montreal
Cincinnati
US Open
Beijing
It sounds quite reasonable schedule. Surely it is better to concentrate certain big tournaments rather than "vulturing" titles in smaller tournaments like some TF experts might call it.
In this year Vika was planning to play also in Dubai and Monterrey, but as we know she had to skip those events. In 2014 there will be an option to play in Wuhan instead of Tokyo.
Winning a title in Eastbourne would be nice too, but I don't want to get greedy if it risks Vika's far more important chances in Wimbledon.
I just hope that there will no more serious injuries to mess up Vika's 2014 tour schedule.

The 2014 WTA Tour Calendar

Exordes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11
country flag iGOAT

Quote:
You have to play 4 of the Premier 5s and can't not commit to the one you didn't commit to last year. So she must commit to Montreal next year. I don't think she should play Wuhan either.
That is so ridiculous . Then she'll definitely play Montréal and not Wuhan I guess. So then yeah, I do think she should plan on playing Linz/Osaka then withdraw if she goes deep in Beijing, but we'll have to see I guess .

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #12
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Confirmed for Monterrey

Abierto Monterrey ‏@Abierto_MTY
@vika7 confirmada para el #AbiertoMty2014. Con ella ya suman tres ex numero uno del mundo que nos visitarán en 2014
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #13
country flag Queen Vika

Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Confirmed for Monterrey

Abierto Monterrey ‏@Abierto_MTY
@vika7 confirmada para el #AbiertoMty2014. Con ella ya suman tres ex numero uno del mundo que nos visitarán en 2014
That's 3-5 weeks playing, depending on runs in IW-Miami I hope she knows what she is doing
Queen Vika is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #14
country flag ozza

I thought she might play Monterrey after missing it this year, but then didn't think she would when Monterrey announced some players a few months ago. Monterrey must be $500k next year.
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #15
country flag iGOAT

Monterrey clearly has quite a bit of money but it really is a bizarre choice . If she's playing that week it may as well be in Charleston to get rid of one of the Premier commitments and that field usually isn't super tough.