Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 7 - Page 41 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #601
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 7

I didn't think it was that bad. Wozniacki feels at the sort of level she was at the end of last year. Still got to see what Hogstedt's plans are, didn't really see enough this week to know. She hit some nice flat forehands but they were few and far between. It's never going to be easy to implement that game plan against players who hit a bigger ball than Caro, she spends a lot of time on the back foot in these kinds of matches of the last two days.
Advertisement

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #602
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I didn't think it was that bad. Wozniacki feels at the sort of level she was at the end of last year. Still got to see what Hogstedt's plans are, didn't really see enough this week to know. She hit some nice flat forehands but they were few and far between. It's never going to be easy to implement that game plan against players who hit a bigger ball than Caro, she spends a lot of time on the back foot in these kinds of matches of the last two days.
Yes, even with Caro improving, she'll never be as big a hitter as the likes of Goerges and Safarova (and Sharapova, Kvitova etc.) so she'll never be fully in control of such matches, that's just a fact of life. Even when Caro had better results than now, she was often in trouble against big hitters having a good day.
What I want this year is to see Caro win at least half of her matches against the best of the non-hardhitters: Aga, Kerber, Errani, JJ, Halep etc.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #603
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Yes, even with Caro improving, she'll never be as big a hitter as the likes of Goerges and Safarova (and Sharapova, Kvitova etc.) so she'll never be fully in control of such matches, that's just a fact of life. Even when Caro had better results than now, she was often in trouble against big hitters having a good day.
What I want this year is to see Caro win at least half of her matches against the best of the non-hardhitters: Aga, Kerber, Errani, JJ, Halep etc.
I don't think Caro doesn't need to be in full control though, just some control over the match. A while back I used Excel on the stats for a number of Caro's matches. In the sample I was looking at, Caro forced a lot more points (hit more winners & forced more errors) in her wins than her losses.

Big hitters having good days against Caro seems a lot more common now than it used to be. Plus she tended to actually pull off the win against non-elite big hitters in those situations.

Good non-hardhitters have tended to pose a problem for Caro even in better times with their comparable defense. I think this may be where any improvments in Caro's offensive abilities have the most impact.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Jan 7th, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #604
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to be optimistic going into this major.
I guess this is now her form. She just couldnt hold up to where she used to be.
Its too bad she never could close things out when she made deep slam runs since those days might be over.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #605
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
The Danish Tennis Association has just announced that Caro has been selected for Denmark's preliminary Fed Cup Team (due to play in Estonia early February - just before Quatar WTA). We've discussed this before: whether Caro needs to play Fed Cup in order to qualify for the Rio Olympic Games. But I really doubt Caro will play Fed Cup already this year. It doesn't fit very well with her current ambitions, new coach and all.
I really think she should. She could come up against Kanepi which in Estonia on a fast hard court is a match that she would either just win or maybe even lose and she can train there with Hogstedt who has been to Tallinn many times to look over Kaia and Anett. She can play Doubles with Malou and just relax while supporting her team. Denmark won't need her for the rubbers except against Estonia and maybe a Doubles match against Greece so if she ever wants to play Fed Cup, get Denmark promoted making it more feasible to get Olympic accession she should play this year IMO.

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #606
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind Caro playing Fed Cup in 2014, and she probably needs to - at least in 2015 AND 2016 (although there's some debate whether ITF will actually enforce the Fed Cup participation rules). Your reasoning makes some sense, chingching, and 2014 Estonia might actually be a much better opportunity than 2015 (which, at least in theory although not very likely, could be in Namibia).

But career-wise there's so much elso going on for Caroline at the moment, and Fed Cup can't be very relevant for her. Although she did say in an interview last fall (speaking of Rio Olympics as her last olympic Games), that she might have to play Fed Cup in 2014.
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #607
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Re. today's loss. Caro started the year 2011 by losing to Cibulkova 36 36 in Sydney, then went on at AO having match point for a spot in the final. We can't really draw any conclusions at this early stage with a new coach - two matches into the season. I'm not too optimistic at the moment either, but on the other hand: losing a R2 match in Sydney is certainly no disaster.

I guess we have to be patient...
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #608
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
I wouldn't mind Caro playing Fed Cup in 2014, and she probably needs to - at least in 2015 AND 2016 (although there's some debate whether ITF will actually enforce the Fed Cup participation rules). Your reasoning makes some sense, chingching, and 2014 Estonia might actually be a much better opportunity than 2015 (which, at least in theory although not very likely, could be in Namibia).

But career-wise there's so much elso going on for Caroline at the moment, and Fed Cup can't be very relevant for her. Although she did say in an interview last fall (speaking of Rio Olympics as her last olympic Games), that she might have to play Fed Cup in 2014.
Oh I 100% agree that it isn't her 1st Priority, but will it ever be. Unless she is still playing when the Francati's and maybe Simone come through, Denmark will never have a shot at really being in even EAGI. But it is a necessity and unfortunately for her, unless she wants to change to Poland, she has to play in a weaker tournament. As opportunities to play Fed Cup go, Tallinn 2014 is the least inconvenient one for her IMO and it would be great for the Estonians to potentially see a Kaia/Caro match which will have been the highest profile match ever in the country Tere Tennisekeskus would be 100% packed

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #609
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

Disappointing to wake up to see that she has lost. Glad I didn't stick around. However, she never does well in Sydney and Safarova is a tough cookie. From what I read, she had a lot of chances in both sets, that's infuriating but also good. Obviously, it's early to say anything about her form, Melbourne will tell us much more, at least she gets some extra days off to work on things on site.

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

♪♫♪♫In a sky full of stars I think I saw you ♪♫♪♫
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #610
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
I really think she should. She could come up against Kanepi which in Estonia on a fast hard court is a match that she would either just win or maybe even lose and she can train there with Hogstedt who has been to Tallinn many times to look over Kaia and Anett. She can play Doubles with Malou and just relax while supporting her team. Denmark won't need her for the rubbers except against Estonia and maybe a Doubles match against Greece so if she ever wants to play Fed Cup, get Denmark promoted making it more feasible to get Olympic accession she should play this year IMO.
I think Caro losing to anyone in a singles match in zonal group III would not be good for her confidence.

Unless Doha is fast this year (it's been slow previously), training on a fast hard court would be bad preparation for it.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #611
country flag chingching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I think Caro losing to anyone in a singles match in zonal group III would not be good for her confidence.

Unless Doha is fast this year (it's been slow previously), training on a fast hard court would be bad preparation for it.
Well she decided to play... Unless Denmark draws Greece (where she will be needed vs Daniilidou), she will have to play Kanepi and Kontaveit/Kanepi in Doubles which she may not win given no Malou... Still, good luck, unfortunately I don't want her to win, unless she plays Greece

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #612
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

And she lost in straight sets to Safarova, wasting 4 SPs !

Caroline has become completely irrelevant. Thank you Rory for destroying her career

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #613
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
And she lost in straight sets to Safarova, wasting 4 SPs !

Caroline has become completely irrelevant. Thank you Rory for destroying her career
Rory fits the timeline of her collapse, but there's no excuse except Caroline doesnt play big points well anymore.
I was hoping a new coach would get her focused, but she lost set 1 in both matches, lost all these key points. So her mental game has not improved from the last 2 years.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #614
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Do anyone know when the main draw for Aussie open come out ?

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #615
country flag PMBH

PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Do anyone know when the main draw for Aussie open come out ?
Friday.
PMBH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote