THE best documentary on women's tennis for 2013 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
THE best documentary on women's tennis for 2013

PBS recently aired a documentary on the life and impact of Billie Jean King.
Luckily for us you can watch it in all it's glory.

Not only do we see Billie Jean. It has interviews with her family, ex-husband Larry, and partner Ilana Kloss.

In addition we get to see a galaxy of stars form the 1970s. Rosei Casals, Margaret Court, Virginia Wade, Chris Evert-all here.

The Blast's own Nancy Richey gets some air time, and we get to hear the voice of Peachy Kellmeyer, the first Slims tour director.

Here is the documentary in full. Please see it and let's discuss!

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365075155/
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE best documentary on women's tennis for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
PBS recently aired a documentary on the life and impact of Billie Jean King.
Luckily for us you can watch it in all it's glory.

Not only do we see Billie Jean. It has interviews with her family, ex-husband Larry, and partner Ilana Kloss.

In addition we get to see a galaxy of stars form the 1970s. Rosei Casals, Margaret Court, Virginia Wade, Chris Evert-all here.

The Blast's own Nancy Richey gets some air time, and we get to hear the voice of Peachy Kellmeyer, the first Slims tour director.

Here is the documentary in full. Please see it and let's discuss!

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365075155/
Unfortunately we can't watch the doco in Australia (says access is restricted in our region). Hopefully one day it will be available on DVD or someone can record it. Nancy was chatting about it on facebook the other day and a lot of people commented on how great it was.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #3
country flag tripler

tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Unfortunately we can't watch the doco in Australia (says access is restricted in our region).
You could try Anonymox, a Firefox plugin. It lets you select IP addresses from different countries. I use it to watch BBC iplayer from Japan.
tripler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #4
country flag tripler

tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler tripler

Just watched it. Thanks Rollo, great documentary. All the archive footage from the 60s and 70s is amazing. I never knew Bobby Riggs was so hilarious.

PS. Does anyone have a torrent or steam for The Journeymen? I've searched before and never found anything.
tripler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #5
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripler View Post
You could try Anonymox, a Firefox plugin. It lets you select IP addresses from different countries. I use it to watch BBC iplayer from Japan.
Awesome! I can watch it now ... will watch half tonite and the rest on Friday night. Thanks again!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Awesome! I can watch it now ... will watch half tonite and the rest on Friday night. Thanks again!
I love to hear your thoughts TV.

Perhaps I will finally breakdown and go on facebook-LOL. Is Nancy doing well these days?
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for highlighting this Rollo. Just got around to watching this today- it was absolutely fantastic. There was a lot of footage that I hadn't seen before.

I love how Virginia, Margaret, and Chris were squirming through this. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.

Also Larry King is possibly the sweetest man I've ever seen. His role in supporting Billie is sometimes forgotten.

Thanks again- really enjoyed watching it.
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM   #8
country flag GHFB

GHFB is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the archive footage was great and especially great to see Nancy Richey (then and now). Loved her honesty in the little interview from the early 70s when she answered she didn't know how long her tennis career or her marriage would last. I thought Margaret Court took it on the chin about her match with Bobby Riggs.

Also interesting BJK stated she and Ilana Kloss have been together 34 years.

Some thoughts on superficialities:

* Bobby Riggs circa 1973 gives new meaning to "unkempt"

* Chris Evert's close-ups weren't kind to her this time

* BJK's ensemble at her "coming out" press conference is just classic. OTOH, Mrs Moffitt's face during that presser is heartbreaking.

* BJK's enunciation has really improved over the years. She still struggles a little with "Margaret", but I think that word will always stick in her throat

Overall, for a doco, it's a nice piece of fluff, but not much more.
GHFB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote