2013 Autumm comeback - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #61
country flag Deestruction
Two-timing...

Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra beat Angelique in the final

I thought in that match, Petra was nervous because its been a long time since shes played against her. Not only that Petra has to take her chances earlier before its too late. I like what mac said because its very hard to come at the net against Venus. Venus is not just a serve and volleyer, shes good on the defense. You have to play smart and fake her out. You cant just expect Venus not to hit a winner. The girl has skills. Anyways she did enough since Venus ran outta gas in the tiebreak making too many errors. But oh well at least she won the match and then went on the next day to win a title.

http://deestruction.tumblr.com/
Deestruction is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #62
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra beat Venus in Tokyo, playing Angelique in the final

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoose View Post
Petra wins first set 62. Calls her coach -> gets bagelled in the second set.
Takes a toilet break -> 4-0 lead in third set.

Conclusion. Toilet break gives better coaching than David Kotyza
I watched the video that Shifty Posted in the Forum. And sure enough, Dum Dum Kotyza was cracking jokes to Petra and making her laugh, just like some of us thought. What's wrong with this idiot?

I know they feel, Petra should always be relaxed. But that's when she's not serious, nervous, and/or not accepting the challenge. Obviously, that wasn't the case in the Kerber final. Petra was all business that first set, until Kotyza came out. You gotta know when to back off/use your brain [Kotyza].

Ironically, if it was a warm up event to a major, he wouldn't have came out out, and left her alone.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #63
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deestruction View Post
I thought in that match, Petra was nervous because its been a long time since shes played against her. Not only that Petra has to take her chances earlier before its too late. I like what mac said because its very hard to come at the net against Venus. Venus is not just a serve and volleyer, shes good on the defense. You have to play smart and fake her out. You cant just expect Venus not to hit a winner. The girl has skills. Anyways she did enough since Venus ran outta gas in the tiebreak making too many errors. But oh well at least she won the match and then went on the next day to win a title.
I hear ya Dee!

Ironically, I was watching the tennis TV Broadcast (on Youtube that Shifty posted here), and the Announcer (who's very good), said "Kvitova fans must be wondering why she's not stepping into the court more often, and offering Venus different looks". So he noticed, felt that way to, I see.

However, while watching the match again, I noticed Petra did more than I originally gave her credit for. Yes, she still did miss some opportunities to go to the net. But she also ran up there (when the opportunity arose) more often than I gave her credit for. Petra also hit with more top spin, played good defense, and used her slice (albeit defensively) more than I gave her credit as well. Saying all that; there wasn't too much change of pace from Petra during this match either.

I know Venus hits hard, and plays good defense. But [let's be honest], she's also prone to error. And sometimes you have to take her out of her comfort zone to do so. Doesn't mean it's going to happen that day. But we've seen it many times before with Venus. Petra, for the most part, played into Venus's comfort zone, and [ultimately] didn't get burned. Good for her!

Nonetheless, it was a great, entertaining match. And Kvitova won. Venus played great during the tournament. And I wish it was a final, cause Venus was the best player through out the tournament, along with Petra.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #64
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I watched the video that Shifty Posted in the Forum. And sure enough, Dum Dum Kotyza was cracking jokes to Petra and making her laugh, just like some of us thought. What's wrong with this idiot?

I know they feel, Petra should always be relaxed. But that's when she's not serious, nervous, and/or not accepting the challenge. Obviously, that wasn't the case in the Kerber final. Petra was all business that first set, until Kotyza came out. You gotta know when to back off/use your brain [Kotyza].

Ironically, if it was a warm up event to a major, he wouldn't have came out out, and left her alone.
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #65
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Seriously: What did he think he could possibly tell her, to make her play any better (especially when you consider how focused and business like Petra appeared).
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #66
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I hear ya Dee!

Ironically, I was watching the tennis TV Broadcast (on Youtube that Shifty posted here), and the Announcer (who's very good), said "Kvitova fans must be wondering why she's not stepping into the court more often, and offering Venus different looks". So he noticed, felt that way to, I see.

However, while watching the match again, I noticed Petra did more than I originally gave her credit for. Yes, she still did miss some opportunities to go to the net. But she also ran up there (when the opportunity arose) more often than I gave her credit for. Petra also hit with more top spin, played good defense, and used her slice (albeit defensively) more than I gave her credit as well. Saying all that; there wasn't too much change of pace from Petra during this match either.

I know Venus hits hard, and plays good defense. But [let's be honest], she's also prone to error. And sometimes you have to take her out of her comfort zone to do so. Doesn't mean it's going to happen that day. But we've seen it many times before with Venus. Petra, for the most part, played into Venus's comfort zone, and [ultimately] didn't get burned. Good for her!

Nonetheless, it was a great, entertaining match. And Kvitova won. Venus played great during the tournament. And I wish it was a final, cause Venus was the best player through out the tournament, along with Petra.
Yeah, I think most of the time Petra forgets about the repertoire of shots that she has. Venus was playing soooo well that day...actually the best I've seen her play since 2009...the way she was serving and how well her FH held up.

So given that, and I know I kind of already mentioned this in other posts, Petra could have forced Venus into more errors by feeding her off pace stuff...the flat ball that Petra was feeding Venus most of the time is exactly the kind of ball that Venus likes! But we all know how content Kvitova can be just to slug it out on the baseline. And granted, against the majority of players, Petra will win the majority of baseline exchanges due to the sheer power & accuracy she possesses in her shots.

But once Kvitova becomes a more consistent player, I really would like to see her strategically use more of her variety.

But man, that SF against Venus...such an epic match...gets my vote so far for match of the year.
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #67
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra beat Angelique in the final, Beijing next

Feeding off pace balls to a player who moves and hits as well as Venus is an invitation for her to take control of the point. Petra clearly had a strategy, and it was to go toe to toe with Venus in a long-distance arm wrestling match in power rallies, and to create opportunities for approaches by hard hitting, and only THEN approach.

Petra's approach to playing Venus actually worked, which is more than we can say for Azarenka. I think critics need to just bow down and give her credit for a successful strategy. The sort of full-flight Petra variety show you wished for isn't something she can put on against every player. She can do it against those whose ground strokes she doesn't respect, or who can't handle her pace. Otherwise she has to fight from the baseline.

In other words, Petra is not a serve and volleyer. I wish she were, but she is a power baseliner with nice volleys. I'm very thankful she's in the mix again, as I'd far rather watch her than power baseliners with only ugly (swing) volleys or no net game at all. Petra hits a much nicer half volley, drop volley, and angle volley than Pova, Vika, or Serena. I'd even compare her favorably with Aga for touch around the net. But coming in against Venus is difficult, and must be earned by carving out an upper hand in the baseline exchange.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová

Last edited by mac47 : Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #68
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future
Re: Petra is playing Varvara Lepchenko in Beijing

The smog in Beijing

So glad petra got all the points in Tokyo, as she may find it tough here.
pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #69
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post
The smog in Beijing

So glad petra got all the points in Tokyo, as she may find it tough here.
I can see Petra tanking her match just to get out there asap, those conditions arent good for her health!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #70
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
I can see Petra tanking her match just to get out there asap, those conditions arent good for her health!
Apparently it will rain tomorrow, which could be good news

( although it could be very humid of course )

Beijing after rain, and without rain:

pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #71
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

MOON COURT
Not Before 2:30 PM [10] Roberta Vinci (ITA) V Shuai Zhang (CHN)
Varvara Lepchenko (USA) V [9] Petra Kvitova (CZE)
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #72
country flag centipede

centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all centipede is a name known to all

will her match be streamed?
centipede is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #73
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. She will play on show-court
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM   #74
country flag Excelscior

Only got to see the last game, when it appeared Kvitova was swinging the racket well.

I understand she probably had to get used the conditions, environment, etc., during the first set. However it seemed like she adjusted during the last two set.

I didn't see her play (until Shifty post the video), so I don't know how well Petra played. But normally she handles Lepchencko well, so I won't read to much into this, without seeing/hearing otherwise.

The good thing is: The Eurosport announcers, said 'Petra didn't look worried, even when she lost the first set'.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM   #75
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra lost first set but bageled Varvara in Beijing

well.. She was down 2-6 0-1* but then... 12-1
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote