2013 Autumm comeback - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 28th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #46
country flag Deestruction
Two-timing...

Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra beat Angelique in the final

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post

I´m glad I missed the bagel
Im glad i missed the match.
But ill watch it later.

http://deestruction.tumblr.com/
Deestruction is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 28th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #47
country flag Deestruction
Two-timing...

Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra beat Venus in Tokyo, playing Angelique in the final

Im so happy YAY Petra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post
great two set win
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post
Yes, she won in two. But made 30-min. break after the first set

http://deestruction.tumblr.com/
Deestruction is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #48
country flag Pimp_Me_Pova

Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold

hy guys, i was away for a few day i only watched her against bencic and now kerber...

i'm glad she won the title, she need confidence and i hope that she will make to the istanbul, eventhough i was against that... i would like to see her to play some her matches there to see where she is at the end of this mess season...

final was rollercester, storming through 1st set, and then shit fest in 2n to boost confidence back in 3rd she played some nice points BH slice,volleing, mixing, and few rallies longer than 4 shots

Maria Sharapova, Kim Aussie Clijsters, Roger Fedex Federer, Petra Kvitova, JMDP, Sabine Lisicki
Pimp_Me_Pova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #49
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

On this tournament i'm especially impressed by her net-play. Can't remind any failed shot at the net ) It's probably because her movement is improved a lot
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #50
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post
After a long week, Petra couldn't have asked for a better R2 opponent in Beijing - her H2H with Lepchenko is 6-1 6-2, 6-2 6-1, 6-1 6-0. If she doesn't fuck that up she may then face Errani for a QF spot.
Trying to get into Petra's head, and predict what she's going to do next--at this stage, is like trying to seamlessly unite Einstein's theory of relatively, with Quantum physics (i.e., theory of everything; combining the big and the small in the Galaxy). It's a head scratcher.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #51
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
seems like she was struggling w/ humidity again...until she finds a long term solution to her asthma...she's gonna have a really hard time w/ outdoor HC
I don't think she struggled with the weather at all. She looked fine to me.

I think in the second set, she just lost focus. I thought it was real stupid for her coach to come out after she won the 1st, as Petra looked very relaxed, focused, in control and business like. What could he say? I'm sure whatever it was, it couldn't have helped. SMH

During the third set, it was back to business as usual, when Petra took a 4-0 lead.

Despite the 2nd set scoreline, it was quite an easy match for Petra. You never felt she couldn't win it, or re-establish control. Yes, there matches when Petra loses a set, when you start to worry or ask "what wrong with Petra?". But this match wasn't one of them.

Remember, Petra had matches like this, even in 2011 (Pironkova, Vika at Wimby 2011; Stosur YEC, Radwanska YEC first set), where she dominated the 1st and third sets, while losing the 2nd in a lopsided scoreline, mostly of her own undoing.

Note: 2011 YEC, Petra was down 5-0 in first set vs Radwanska, and came back to win it.

Radwanska said the famous line "even when I was up 5-0 in the first set, I still didn't fell like I was in control". And that's how the second set was for Kerber, I feel.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #52
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post
On this tournament i'm especially impressed by her net-play. Can't remind any failed shot at the net ) It's probably because her movement is improved a lot
I've seen Petra play better at the net; even much better than this, many times.

However (to your point), Petra set up her shots, and went to the net in this tournament more selectively than she has in the past. So she didn't have as many tough, bending, stretching volleys to scrape up off the floor (and hence, converted more easily, and why I've seen her play better at the net previously).

Most of her volleys here, seemed to be easy tappers above/over the net in Tokyo.

Her movement seemed fine. Neither bad, or spectacular for her. Just good/average for Petra.

However, her SERVE (for the most part), FOOTWORK, anticipation and commitment (when prepared) to go to the net, was certainly better than many other times this year.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #53
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I don't think she struggled with the weather at all. She looked fine to me.

I think in the second set, she just lost focus. I thought it was real stupid for her coach to come out after she won the 1st, as Petra looked very relaxed, focused, in control and business like. What could he say? I'm sure whatever it was, it couldn't have helped. SMH

During the third set, it was back to business as usual, when Petra took a 4-0 lead.

Despite the 2nd set scoreline, it was quite an easy match for Petra. You never felt she couldn't win it, or re-establish control. Yes, there matches when Petra loses a set, when you start to worry or ask "what wrong with Petra?". But this match wasn't one of them.

Remember, Petra had matches like this, even in 2011 (Pironkova, Vika at Wimby 2011; Stosur YEC, Radwanska YEC first set), where she dominated the 1st and third sets, while losing the 2nd in a lopsided scoreline, mostly of her own undoing.

Note: 2011 YEC, Petra was down 5-0 in first set vs Radwanska, and came back to win it.

Radwanska said the famous line "even when I was up 5-0 in the first set, I still didn't fell like I was in control". And that's how the second set was for Kerber, I feel.
Ex, you're right. Just watched the 2nd set (missed it last night) and it doesn't seem like Petra was suffering from any lapses in energy either due from asthma or anything else.

So looking at the 1st set, i don't think petra played THAT great...she was okay, solid enough, and Kerber didn't do much, just kind of reacting. In the 2nd set, Petra's level def went down, making more errors and DFs, and not playing the important points well. I didn't see much of a difference in her movement/footwork from the 1st set though. She was still moving fine to me. But at the same time in the 2nd set, I do think Kerber was playing a bit better and trying to do something more out there on the court, resulting in her making some good shots.

I'm just surprised Petra didn't make the adjustments in the 2nd set after being down 0-2. She should've took some off of the 1st serve and her shots since they were going out. I feel like there was still good intent behind most of her shots/shot selection, but since the execution was off, she really should've made some adjustments.

All in all, it obviously wasn't the greatest level of play from Petra, but not the worse either. I've seen much crappier play from her this year. She was def playing at a much higher level in her SF against Venus.

3 things I would really like to see her work on: closing better at the net (she was burned a times this week w/ passing shots), NOT going for the winner when she's out of position (granted she's done a better job of this, but she needs to STOP going for the DTL when she's in the doubles alley and she's 0-40 down in the game), and making more strategic use of her slice (if she makes this more of a key component during rallies, she'll be at much more of an advantage especially against players like Serena)
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #54
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Ex, you're right. Just watched the 2nd set (missed it last night) and it doesn't seem like Petra was suffering from any lapses in energy either due from asthma or anything else.

So looking at the 1st set, i don't think petra played THAT great...she was okay, solid enough, and Kerber didn't do much, just kind of reacting. In the 2nd set, Petra's level def went down, making more errors and DFs, and not playing the important points well. I didn't see much of a difference in her movement/footwork from the 1st set though. She was still moving fine to me. But at the same time in the 2nd set, I do think Kerber was playing a bit better and trying to do something more out there on the court, resulting in her making some good shots.

I'm just surprised Petra didn't make the adjustments in the 2nd set after being down 0-2. She should've took some off of the 1st serve and her shots since they were going out. I feel like there was still good intent behind most of her shots/shot selection, but since the execution was off, she really should've made some adjustments.

All in all, it obviously wasn't the greatest level of play from Petra, but not the worse either. I've seen much crappier play from her this year. She was def playing at a much higher level in her SF against Venus.

3 things I would really like to see her work on: closing better at the net (she was burned a times this week w/ passing shots), NOT going for the winner when she's out of position (granted she's done a better job of this, but she needs to STOP going for the DTL when she's in the doubles alley and she's 0-40 down in the game), and making more strategic use of her slice (if she makes this more of a key component during rallies, she'll be at much more of an advantage especially against players like Serena)
All good points, and recommendations by you. I had mentioned some of my own (recommendations, in earlier post).

I certainly don't know what to make out of this?

But let's hope Petra gives us more decent tennis? Even though, I agree she didn't play her best today. Just watching her shot making, moving inside the court, slicing and volleying, is a sight for sore eyes. She really has a unique game/style (that's mostly easy on the eyes) compared to other WTA players, when playing well.

I agree with you on your last paragraph. I felt during the Venus match, Petra got too caught up into hitting with Venus (albeit well), instead of throwing in some off speed stuff, loopers, slices, and drop shots to mix it up. Even Venus's coach, had recommended this tactic to Williams against Petra, to potentially throw Kvitova off.

I also felt Petra was pinned to the baseline too much in her last several matches. Doesn't matter how well she was striking the ball, and how fast the court was. She could have ended the points much sooner (Venus, Kerber for ex.), if she would have followed up her deep drives at the net. Ultimately, Petra did do that when she had to/it counted. And Petra was able to hold her nerve (especially when down/under pressure serving), and play the big points well through out the tournament. She was quite composed. We haven't seen that from her in a while.

We'll see what happens in Beijing, the YEC (yeah, she'll make it), and next year??
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #55

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
All good points, and recommendations by you. I had mentioned some of my own (recommendations, in earlier post).

I certainly don't know what to make out of this?

But let's hope Petra gives us more decent tennis? Even though, I agree she didn't play her best today. Just watching her shot making, moving inside the court, slicing and volleying, is a sight for sore eyes. She really has a unique game/style (that's mostly easy on the eyes) compared to other WTA players, when playing well.

I agree with you on your last paragraph. I felt during the Venus match, Petra got too caught up into hitting with Venus (albeit well), instead of throwing in some off speed stuff, loopers, slices, and drop shots to mix it up. Even Venus's coach, had recommended this tactic to Williams against Petra, to potentially throw Kvitova off.

I also felt Petra was pinned to the baseline too much in her last several matches. Doesn't matter how well she was striking the ball, and how fast the court was. She could have ended the points much sooner (Venus, Kerber for ex.), if she would have followed up her deep drives at the net. Ultimately, Petra did do that when she had to/it counted. And Petra was able to hold her nerve (especially when down/under pressure serving), and play the big points well through out the tournament. She was quite composed. We haven't seen that from her in a while.

We'll see what happens in Beijing, the YEC (yeah, she'll make it), and next year??
Yeah, ultimately, Petra's variety and volleys are the dimensions that really separate her and give her the upper hand over players like Serena and a vintage playing Venus

We all know that Petra can just hang from the baseline and get into power exchanges...but it would just make her life so much easier and allow her to outplay someone like an in form Serena if she consistently & strategically mixed in the off pace stuff and slices
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #56

And speaking of Venus...just wow..watching her play in the SF...really reminded me of her form circa 2000-2001...can you imagine what the tour would be like if Venus and Petra were able to sustain their SF play on a weekly basis?? would be absolutely salivating

would just LOVE it...if Serena and Petra were the last two standing at the end of every tournament in 2014...
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #57
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who says Petra didn't approach the net enough against Venus has a naive idea of how net approaches work. It is a matter of knowing that you are likely to get a manageable reply to the last shot (the approach shot) you hit. If you are in a rally, exchanging atomic forehands with Venus freaking Williams, you are having to pay 10/10ths attention just to keep the ball deep and hard back to her so that Venus doesn't come in to the net against YOU. (And obviously, against Petra, Venus is feeling the same way.) It is very scary and daunting to come in when you have not got the upper hand, when the rally is a sort of long distance wrestling match and you can't even feel confident about changing the direction of your shots because the ball is coming so hard.

Petra did come in whenever she had established an advantage and drawn a weaker or shorter shot from Venus. This is just how the net game works in the era of polyester. Petra does it better than anyone.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #58
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
And speaking of Venus...just wow..watching her play in the SF...really reminded me of her form circa 2000-2001...can you imagine what the tour would be like if Venus and Petra were able to sustain their SF play on a weekly basis?? would be absolutely salivating

would just LOVE it...if Serena and Petra were the last two standing at the end of every tournament in 2014...
Yeah, they looked good.

They both definitely play an interesting, exciting brand of tennis, compared to so many other WTA players.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #59
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Yeah, ultimately, Petra's variety and volleys are the dimensions that really separate her and give her the upper hand over players like Serena and a vintage playing Venus

We all know that Petra can just hang from the baseline and get into power exchanges...but it would just make her life so much easier and allow her to outplay someone like an in form Serena if she consistently & strategically mixed in the off pace stuff and slices
Exactly.

I felt there were many times, Petra could have looped the ball, hit with more top spin, hit some defensive/offensive slices, drop shots, etc., along with the power.

I agree. That will serve her very well against the likes of Serena, Venus and Vika.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #60
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
Anyone who says Petra didn't approach the net enough against Venus has a naive idea of how net approaches work. It is a matter of knowing that you are likely to get a manageable reply to the last shot (the approach shot) you hit. If you are in a rally, exchanging atomic forehands with Venus freaking Williams, you are having to pay 10/10ths attention just to keep the ball deep and hard back to her so that Venus doesn't come in to the net against YOU. (And obviously, against Petra, Venus is feeling the same way.) It is very scary and daunting to come in when you have not got the upper hand, when the rally is a sort of long distance wrestling match and you can't even feel confident about changing the direction of your shots because the ball is coming so hard.

Petra did come in whenever she had established an advantage and drawn a weaker or shorter shot from Venus. This is just how the net game works in the era of polyester. Petra does it better than anyone.
See TennisAddict84's response, two responses up from your post regarding this topic/my comments.

What he said (Petra's variety), was how I felt in a nutshell. Yeah, she could of volleyed a little more against Venus (with all respect to what you said). However, it was the constant ball bashing, I felt Petra could have changed up a little. Don't get me wrong. It worked. But I felt Petra had many opportunities to mix it up, and throw off Venus, who was as dialed in as Petra. I just felt, she took a "Mano Mano (yes, I know they're women)" challenge from Venus, and threw the play book out the window. I get it.

Petra could have certainly done more volleying against Kerber (and some other opponents), as Petra did in the first, and especially during the third set in the final, when she realized she had to close out the match.

Kvitova, sure used her variety, and hit with more top spin, particularly in third set against Kerber, when she realized she needed more margin. Of course, most knuckle head haters, and dumb broadcasters (like that idiotic Tennis Channel women) never notice these things. But they're always quick to nag on when Petra hit's flat. They still haven't figured out what Petra does when she plays well, and what she doesn't when she's not. The Tennis Channel women, still hasn't figured out, Petra's been a capable--to good--to sometimes exquisite volleyer, the past three seasons. Lazy, American journalism.