Will we have a new slam winner in 2014? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will someone win their first grand slam in 2014?

No 32 42.11%
Yes, AO 7 9.21%
Yes, RG 19 25.00%
Yes, Wimby 14 18.42%
Yes, USO 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #1
country flag serena_the_queen

serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future
Will we have a new slam winner in 2014?

Most expect Serena dominance to continue, firmly backed up by Vika on hardcourts. But is there room for anyone to bag a maiden slam?

Some of the contenders:

Princess Agatha: Most see Wimbledon as her most promising slam, and has a real chance to bag one IF Serena falters.

Sabine Lisicki: This grass expert has a chance come Wimbledon time, arguably top 5 on grass court amongst active players

Sarita: No chance for slam outside RG, doubtful even there but has been in the F and SF last two years, could benefit from possible draw explosion on the clay

The Woz: Has been slightly better lately, an outside chance at AO or USO if draw falls apart and she regains 2011 confidence/form

Empress: Has re-entered the top ten, improved serve and abilities at net, time is running out for JJ to make strong pushes at slams. Could do well at AO/USO/RG

Sloane: Has the weapons and game of a slam champion, played Serena legitimately close for a set at USO, questionable consistency and mentality. Needs to back up strong slam showing from 2013, but a good big match player
Advertisement

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #2
country flag andyjason

andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold
Re: Will we have a new slam winner in 2014?

No chance for new slam winner
Its about Serena and Azarenka dominating.
If Li Na and Sharapova play their GOAT tennis, they can still win one
Na in AO, Pova in FO
If Petra or Sam get their shit together they can win Wim and USO again
Radwanska might but she needs all the players she is struggling with to lose early.
andyjason is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #3
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shot in the dark to predict which major, as the only way it will happen is if the draw opens up like Wimbledon did. With Reehanna and Vika as a clear big two and Ma$ha's biggest opponent besides them being her health, it doesn't seem too likely. At the same time, it's hard to imagine the WTA NOT having a fairly random winner at one of the four, so I'd say most likely one of them. If I had to guess I'd say Wimbledon again, as Reehanna gets the least preparation for it, making it the most likely place for her to bomb out, and it's also rather weak historically for Vika.

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon | Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #4
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjason View Post
No chance for new slam winner
Its about Serena and Azarenka dominating.
If Li Na and Sharapova play their GOAT tennis, they can still win one
Na in AO, Pova in FO
If Petra or Sam get their shit together they can win Wim and USO again
Radwanska might but she needs all the players she is struggling with to lose early.
I could see Shanksur getting her shit together for two GOAT weeks again, similar to NaNa at the French Open, Cake at Wimbledon, and herself before, but she relies on flying under the radar, so it would have to be either at the French, which is presumably her best surface still anyway, or Wimbledon where she hasn't previously done well nor has the weight of her home crowd.

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon | Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #5
country flag Skinz
Veni, vidi, vici.

Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute

Aga at wimby
Skinz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #6
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of

no
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #7
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Caro? Why not?

It seems to me that all three , Serena, Vika , Masha should skip Slam or flop in early rounds to let other players win a Slam in 2014, like it happened at Wimbledon this year. I don't think that it's possible to beat 2 players from top 3 in a row.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Sep 20th, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #8
country flag TheHangover

TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future

KDK will win Wimbledon

Supporter of the lefties Safarova, Kerber and Benesova trying to replace the great Patty Schnyder

R.I.P. Elena Baltacha
TheHangover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Serena to win all four, you heard it here first.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #10
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully lady aga finally gets one

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

We had a new one this year, Bartoli. New one last year, Vika.
2011 3 new ones, Li, Petra, Stosur. 2010 was Fran. So I think there's an excellent chance for a new slam winner
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #12
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Yes, Caroline Wozniacki will win the U.S open.
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #13
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible. Serena, Vika and Masha dominate, but they still can lose here and then, so who knows.

Among new possible slam winners, I'd mention Lisicki, Radwanska, Halep. It may be too soon for Stephens and not too late for Wozniacki.

Also, I believe Cornet can do very well if she keeps playing the way she does - getting better and better mentally, physically and technically. And if she can win one, it's the French.

Please feel free to laugh, it could be a joy to bump that thread up in a few months or years.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #14
country flag killerqueen

killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so, unless one of the young girls can have a remarkable rise. I guess it'd be unfair to rule out Aga, but I just can't see them not going to players who have already won in the past...

Elena Baltacha. Never forgotten.
killerqueen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #15
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHangover View Post
KDK will win Wimbledon
or Flipkens.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote