***2014 New WTA ranking point distribution*** - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:30 AM   #151
country flag Archer16

Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ***2014 New WTA ranking point distribution***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS View Post
As for Slams, R2 points were way too high (and then very little reward for winning another match to get to R3), so this is a good move IMO.
Yes, getting 95 points for R1 win and only 60 more for R2 win was ridiculous, the current system is better in that regard.
The qualies ranking points, giving 40, 10, 10 were even more absurd, I've said this countless times (not on GM ). But 20, 10, 10 not only remains stupid, it also gives too few points for making a slam MD through qualies, which is harder than winning a 25K, and it's the main flaw on this new distribution IMO.
It should have remained 60 points for making the MD by simply being 20-40-60 instead of the old 40-50-60. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
Well, I think it is a good reward for anyone entering the Main Draw of the biggest tournaments in the world. At the same time this is practically irrelevant for top 100 players as usually their best 16th tournament is bigger than 10 points so no big deal.
So if it'll remain 5 points for them it won't be a big deal either. But as others have said, it is a big deal for WC, giving them more undeserved points than they were already getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
It should be 0 points for 0 wins everywhere. Would have very minimal effect on actual players, but would stop useless wild-card buyers from getting ranking.
This.
Archer16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #152
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what to think about the new ranking points

Quote:
Grand Slam:

W 2000
F 1300
SF 780
QF 430
4R 240
3R 130
2R 70
1R 10
A WC who loses in Grand Slam R1 should not get 10 points ! 5 is enough

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #153
country flag newoldie

newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all newoldie is a name known to all

[quote=rucolo;33903065]Not sure what to think about the new ranking points

But I do know one point that's missing: Any incentive to play strong tournaments --> tournament selection=vulturing.
The fundamental fault of the ranking systems is: It does not matter against whom you win, all that matters is the ranking of the tournament and the round.
One (not so radical) option:
All points in the present system are divided by 2 (you get only 50% of what you would get now, maybe except points for losing first round.
It would also be possible to distribute a higher share, e.g. 2/3 according to the present system.
The second part consists of 1% of the ranking points of the players you win against. Examples: winning against Serena earns 123 extra points, against K. Flipkens (No 20) would earn 26 extra points, independent of round and location.
Important for players in the lower ranks: All fractions of a point are rounded to the next half point. They are rounded up, if you win against a higher ranked opponent and are rounded down, if you win against a lower ranked opponent. That means that you best can start building extra (half) points by beating higher ranked players and the frustrating experience of winning three or even four times in a 10K without getting any point reward is eliminated.
This would also accelerate the speed that very talented youngsters can move up and it would discourage from again and again signing up a for tournaments where you know you are ranked highest.

Last edited by newoldie : Sep 25th, 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: explanation
newoldie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #154
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer16 View Post
Yes, getting 95 points for R1 win and only 60 more for R2 win was ridiculous, the current system is better in that regard.
The qualies ranking points, giving 40, 10, 10 were even more absurd, I've said this countless times (not on GM ). But 20, 10, 10 not only remains stupid, it also gives too few points for making a slam MD through qualies, which is harder than winning a 25K, and it's the main flaw on this new distribution IMO.
It should have remained 60 points for making the MD by simply being 20-40-60 instead of the old 40-50-60. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

So if it'll remain 5 points for them it won't be a big deal either. But as others have said, it is a big deal for WC, giving them more undeserved points than they were already getting.

This.
I wouldn't call it so much harder than a 25K. The qualifying draw is similar to 25K event. And they get more than the whole field of a 25K at least 30K for qualifying.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #155
country flag MikBs

MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute MikBs has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno if someone already post it, but wikipedia says this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_WT...s_distribution
MikBs is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #156
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

TEN points for losing in the first round of majors and Premier Mandatory ? What are the smoking? That's so unfair for like wildcards and players who just make the cut and lose versus players who just miss the cut.

Predictability is way too boring.
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #157
country flag Bolbo

Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice Bolbo is just really nice

[quote=newoldie;33923649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
The fundamental fault of the ranking systems is: It does not matter against whom you win, all that matters is the ranking of the tournament and the round.
All points in the present system are divided by 2 (you get only 50% of what you would get now, maybe except points for losing first round.
It would also be possible to distribute a higher share, e.g. 2/3 according to the present system.
The second part consists of 1% of the ranking points of the players you win against. Examples: winning against Serena earns 123 extra points, against K. Flipkens (No 20) would earn 26 extra points, independent of round and location.
Important for players in the lower ranks: All fractions of a point are rounded to the next half point. They are rounded up, if you win against a higher ranked opponent and are rounded down, if you win against a lower ranked opponent. That means that you best can start building extra (half) points by beating higher ranked players and the frustrating experience of winning three or even four times in a 10K without getting any point reward is eliminated.
This would also accelerate the speed that very talented youngsters can move up and it would discourage from again and again signing up a for tournaments where you know you are ranked highest.
It is sucks. Many good players tank tournaments like Eastbourne and so on. Tanking tournament give some extra points low rankings players.
Bolbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #158
country flag Christork17

Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of Christork17 has much to be proud of

The real problem can also be that winning Tashkent/Bogota/Baku or Birmingham/Linz/Auckland = 280 points...

Anyway 280, 470 are quite random numbers
Why not 250, 500 like ATP ?

And those Premier Mandatory, Premier 5, Premier 700, Premier 600...
Masters 1000 anybody ?

Last edited by Christork17 : Oct 4th, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Christork17 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #159
country flag Ziva

Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future

downgrades the slams for a lot of players, i don't like it

2013 Good Girl: Petra Kvitova
GG Race: Jankovic(+), Pironkova(F), Pennetta, Pavlyuchenkova(+), Halep(F), Ivanovic(MPbonus),Torro-Flor
Ziva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #160
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Big lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
What else do a tennis player wish for! That's every players dream. Anything possible it's just a game' not like she wants to be president !
Yes, momma! Teach these basic girls the meaning of context!
Nicolás89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #161
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
780 points for a GS semifinal isn't enough. I understand that the winner of a P5 tournament still gets 900 points and the winner of PM gets 1000 points? If so, it diminshes the importance of the GS tournaments for everyone except the winner.
Looks like they don't want players to shoot up in the ranking for reaching a lucky slam Semi Final and doing nothing everywhere else.
Serve2Win is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #162
country flag Derevko

Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold Derevko is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christork17 View Post
The real problem can also be that winning Tashkent/Bogota/Baku or Birmingham/Linz/Auckland = 280 points...

Anyway 280, 470 are quite random numbers
Why not 250, 500 like ATP ?

And those Premier Mandatory, Premier 5, Premier 700, Premier 600...
Masters 1000 anybody ?
I think they tried to be like ATP, but also would like to differenciate a bit from them. That's why 280 and 470
Sharapova - Tanasugarn - K. Bondarenko - Kirilenko - Losertadze - Kleybanova - Rezai - Oprandi - Wozniacki
TT: W Palermo (Int, 09), W Karshi (Itf, 14), SF Toronto (Pre5, 09), R16 Us Open (Slam, 09), F Tinajo (Itf, 14) - Best Ranking: 61 (21/06/10)
Derevko is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #163
country flag NeKo

NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute

So, if a player loses in QR1, gets 2 points. If a WC loses in R1, gets 10 points. Awesome

AUDREY HEPBURN RACHEL WEISZ NAOMI WATTS ROONEY MARA JESSICA CHASTAIN
VERA FARMIGA MICHELLE WILLIAMS KATE MARA AMY ADAMS RACHEL McADAMS
NeKo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #164
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of Serve2Win has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Right now it would be badly, but it's hypothetical. It benefits people who win tournaments, any tournament. Anyone who hasn't won a tournament will be hurt under this system.
Then, I like it. Go win a tournament, anywhere, under the rocks, under water, anywhere if you want up your ranking. I like the idea.
Julia Goerges should show up in Kuala Lampur and win it, instead of sticking around with 1 or 2 matches here and there in Premier Events.
Serve2Win is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #165
country flag _LuCaS_
Stimpacker

_LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute _LuCaS_ has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=newoldie;33923649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
Not sure what to think about the new ranking points

But I do know one point that's missing: Any incentive to play strong tournaments --> tournament selection=vulturing.
Good point. The gap point won't be that big between players anymore and would make things more interesting.