Samantha Jane's 2013 Review and Off-Season Zen Garden - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 4th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute
Samantha Jane's 2013 Review and Off-Season Zen Garden

In this thread, we gather to an idyllic oasis of tranquility to settle ourselves down and review the turbulent year of newly instated Countess of Carlsbad, Overlord of Osaka and Co-Master of Moscow, Lady Samantha Jane

Singles Results

Champion: Carlsbad, Osaka
Runner Up: Moscow, Sofia
Quarter Finalist: Indian Wells, Doha, Rome, Dubai
R16: Toronto, Cincinnati, Tokyo, Charleston, Eastbourne, Stanford

Grand Slam Record:
Australian Open: R2
French Open: R3
Wimbledon: R3
US Open: R1

Win/Loss Record: 42-23
Fed Cup Record: 2-2
Year End Ranking: 18

Doubles Results

Champion: Moscow (w/ Kuznetsova)
Runner Up: Osaka (w/ Zhang)
Quarter Finalist: Doha (w/ Raymond), Dubai (w/ Raymond)
R16: French Open (w/ Schiavone), Indian Wells (w/ Raymond), Rome (w/ Schiavone)

Win/Loss Record: 16-10
Year End Ranking: 47

To assist in our discussion, answer the following questions about Samantha's year:

1) What was Sam's best win of the year?
2) What was Sam's worst loss of the year
3) What was Sam's best outfit of the year? (see next post for some help with this)
4) What was Sam's most under-rated win of the year?
5) Which of Sam's losses were you most impressed with?
6) What part of Sam's game has improved most throughout the year?
7) What would you like to see Sam work on in the future?
8) What's the one match you wish Sam had won, that she didn't?
9) What was your favourite off-court Sam-related event of the year (e.g. press conference, picture, media piece, video, facebook message, dance routine)
10) If you had the opportunity to be Sam's psychologist, what would be the first worldly piece of wisdom you would offer her?
11) If Sam was an animagus (a witch who could turn into an animal), what animal would she turn into and why?
12) If you could introduce Sam to one piece of music, what would it be and why?
13) How do you see/would you like to see Sam approach 2014 in terms of her doubles career and finding a coach?
14) Imagine that Sam is in a tennis class at school and that you are her teacher. Write a brief report card assessing her performance this year.
15) What do you predict in 2014 for Sam (ranking, tournaments, H2Hs with particular players etc.)?
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

Last edited by SilverPersian : Nov 4th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #2

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Samantha Jane's 2013 Review and Off-Season Zen Garden

Brisbane/Doha/Dubai/Charleston:

Sydney/Charleston/Stuttgart/Rome:

Australian Open:

Indian Wells/French Open

Wimbledon:

Stanford/Carlsbad/Moscow:

Toronto/Cincinnati/Beijing/Osaka/Sofia:

US Open/Tokyo:

Old Nov 4th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #3

I'm going to let the dust settle a bit before I reply to the thread. Also, if anyone notices anything I've buggered up please say. I'm not sure about all of the outfits, but I think I've got all of the main ones, and put them with *approximately* the right tournaments

Old Nov 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

Love your work SP!

Welcome to SPs Zen Garden everyone. Enjoy the tranquility and its therapeutic nature.

I am going to have a good think about this one. Last year was a little easier because certain highs and lows stood out. This year has been a roller coaster that can only be expressed through code violations (That one's for you B )
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #5
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
In this thread, we gather to an idyllic oasis of tranquility to settle ourselves down and review the turbulent year of newly instated Countess of Carlsbad, Overlord of Osaka and Co-Master of Moscow, Lady Samantha Jane
I just want to say, first, I love the concept of the present thread.
I give my input just in the next couple of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post
This year has been a roller coaster that can only be expressed through code violations (That one's for you B )
Indeed

B!
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #6
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Love it SP

Like you, I'm going to let the dust settle before answering the questions, but I just want to say I'm really proud of what Sammy has done this year. Maybe more than I've ever been. Love that girl
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #7
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

SOME SAM ZEN GARDENING:

- Dumping Dave*.

- Maybe… Vs. Duval?

3) What was Sam's best outfit of the year? (see next post for some help with this)
—>

- Azarenka@Carlsbad—For me it does equal Serena@USO11.

- Vs. Sabine@Wimby.

- Mental resilience at the end of the season, & sliced BH everywhere.

- Mental side, again.
- Tactical adaptation DURING the match.
- Turbo BHDL.
- Patience, again.

- WTA/Sofia's final. It should have been victory.

9) What was your favourite off-court Sam-related event of the year (e.g. press conference, picture, media piece, video, facebook message, dance routine)
- There were many. Probably my Top 1?

10) If you had the opportunity to be Sam's psychologist, what would be the first worldly piece of wisdom you would offer her?
- "Take all your time".

11) If Sam was an animagus (a witch who could turn into an animal), what animal would she turn into and why?
- A cat: automatically falling down with style and dignity, without complaining. And just coming back!

- This—That's probably sounds personal.

13) How do you see/would you like to see Sam approach 2014 in terms of her doubles career and finding a coach?
- Less doubles matches when everything is OK. A part time and remote non Oz Coach, with a specialty in mental and tactical preparation. Hitting partners are everywhere, Sim doing the rest of the preparation. Reading Tennis Forum is a real plus, too.

14) Imagine that Sam is in a tennis class at school and that you are her teacher. Write a brief report card assessing her performance this year.
- If you've watched the Gravity movie, well, that's just describes Sam's tennis life—Even with Clooney's sense of humor in dire situations. Doing all the stuff by herself, mission control is just out of order.

15) What do you predict in 2014 for Sam (ranking, tournaments, H2Hs with particular players etc.)?
- Unlinear+Stellar
- Extreme performance precisely where we do not hope anything: Oz, Stanford, Wimby; Plus Osaka style where we expect it the most: Charleston, RG, USO.
- Win over Halep, over Safarova; and over all of the other players, in general.
- Top 6 - Losing this year 10 ranks happened without playing half of the year, not to mention RG and USO catastrophic events , physical issues, or any F&€7#% files; once problems are detached, just as it happened during the Asian season, everything goes quick.

(*) I have no negative view or feeling towards Dave; I only notice his input for Sam was clearly positive until mid-2011, and clearly negative from this point, for various reasons.

B.

Last edited by bertisonline : Nov 5th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #8
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm lazy. I will answer the 1st two questions...

Beating Azarenka to win Carlsbad. Sure Vika was not quite herself, but any win to reverse that dreadful H2H record is a good thing psychologically for Sam. Plus a 4th title! Probably played a significant part in setting Sam up for her late run.

Runner-up: beating Petra Kvitova at Rome.

Many bad losses but none quite as devastating as losing to Victoria Duval at the USO. Victoria who? I want to say it's as shocking as losing to Czink at Wimbledon but at least that loss could be explained by Sam's poor record at Wimby and Czink being the bad left-hander match-up for Sam. If there's one thing the USO loss reveals, it is how solid Dave Taylor has been as a soundboard, a mentor, a compass and a rock for Sam at the big tournaments. Suddenly it's gone, and Sam needed time to adjust to preparing without him. The late surge in form (still without a coach) is definitely a good sign for next year.

Runner-up: losing to Jie after leading at the AO.

Another off-season thought about Sam.

Let's stop for a moment to appreciate how lucky Australian tennis fans are to have Samantha Stosur flying their flag on the tennis circuit. She is incredibly durable, being a fixture in the top 20 since 2009 when she made her French Open breakthrough. A stretch of 5 seasons is more than a lifetime for most players. Even in a bad year like 2013, Sam has somehow made it up by winning 2 titles and making 2 finals to stay in touch with the top group. Breakthroughs are easy, but maintaining results at a high level for a long period is much harder. Sam is an absolute machine compared to any other Aussie female player to have turned pro in the last 20 years.

I'm just glad we still have lots to look forward to from Sam in 2014.
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #9
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

This is a tough one. The most significant win was definitely against Vika. But for me I think her best win was probably against Bouchard in the Osaka final. It was the type of match I think the old Sam would probably have lost, and coming at a moment when there was so much at stake (first time ever two titles in a year) was evidence of a mental toughness she has sometimes lacked in the past.

Also a tough one, because there were so many. Obviously tempting to go with the Duval loss, which could maybe even be construed as the worst loss of her career. However, I think there were serious extenuating circumstances surrounding that loss, so in retrospect I find it hard to hold it against her.

My nomination for worst match of the year was the R2 AO loss against Zheng. Even factoring in her extreme nerves when playing at home that loss was hard to fathom, and was one of the most painful moments I’ve ever experienced as a fan of Sam.

For the record, I don’t really hold that loss against her either. As always she tried her hardest, and if she was guilty of anything it was of caring too much (how melodramatic that sounds)

3) What was Sam's best outfit of the year?

Have to agree with Bertrand her, the AO outfit was her best (oh the irony)

Wimbledon R1 def. Schmiedlova 6-1 6-3. Schmied played a decent match, and given Sam’s track record at Wimbledon against low-ranked players, Sammy could easily have buckled. She was rock solid, AND she played great grasscourt tennis to blitz that match and the next. It broke my heart to see her lose to grass-GOAT Sabine while playing better grasscourt tennis than most of the later quarterfinalists.

A few candidates here. The loss to Sabine at Wimbledon is obviously a candidate, as well as her three-setter against Vika in Rome, where she fought so hard despite not being in very good form. But for me the winner is her loss to Simona in the Moscow final. She obviously faded a bit in the second set, but how hard she fought and how tough she was to keep herself in the match, and all those breakpoints saved, I was so proud of her for that.

The mental/tactical side of her game has improved immensely. She still has lapses where her focus fades out and she starts making silly tactical errors, but in general I have been hugely impressed with how smart she has played in most of her matches lately.

Two things, that may seem completely contradictory, but are not IMO. Firstly, I’d like to see her build some more margin for error into her game, particularly when she is struggling to handle the conditions as seemed to be the case in Sofia. There were too many times when she fluffed an easy putaway when a less risky shot would have sufficed. That was mainly the case in the final, in fact in the earlier matches she impressed me with the fact that she did quite often win points by placing the ball in the gap rather than trying to slam a huge winner.

My second point is that I think she needs to be more ruthless and aggressive against opponents she is obviously too good for. I think she too often allows herself to get involved in lengthy rallies with players who are far below her in level. She can beat those players while playing like that, but it costs her a lot of mental energy that she badly needs in later rounds against quality opponents. Far better to simplify her tactics against the lesser opponents and just blow them away with her power. There as well she needs to increase her margin for error, but she still needs to keep the points shorter than she currently does.

Again, so many. I’m tempted to go with her R3 loss to Sabs at Wimbledon, but since Serena was waiting in the next round it probably wouldn’t have made much difference. I’ll go with the Moscow/Sofia finals (either one, I don’t mind). 3 titles in a season would have been so great.

I think the twin pics she posted before and after her Sofia match against Ana were the funniest things I’ve seen from any player this year

Don’t listen to any advice I give you

Some kind of bird I think. I want her to have that glorious feeling of soaring far above the earth and all its mundane cares and worries. (I know, she’s afraid of flying, but I figure that if she had her own wings, that would pass)

I Don’t Know How You’re Livin’ by Lucinda Williams. Because it’s such a beautiful song about friendship and unconditional support and loyalty. I want Sam to have friends like that (I’m sure she does).

Re doubles: I’m conflicted here. It’s really great to see Sam finding some doubles form again, and I really want to see her keep on playing with Sveta, and maybe sometimes with Shuai as well. But there is a catch-22 here. The kind of tennis she is playing these days is mentally very tiring I think, and if she keeps going deep in both singles and doubles, she could risk being mentally a bit frazzled by the end of the week. So I think she should restrict her doubles play to just the slams and a handful of other tourneys.

Re her coach: I’m fine with her waiting a while longer, but not too long. As much as she’s improved since dropping Dave, there are still some things she probably needs a coach to help her with, especially the margin for error thing and deciding when to be aggressive and when to be more defensive. Also it must be tiring for her to do everything on her own these days. Not to mention Sim badly needs someone to sit with her in the player’s box. One other thing: when she does find a coach, I’d like to see her occasionally using OCC. Not very often, but there are moments when I think it could make a huge difference. She could really have used some OCC in Sofia I think.

Sam is almost always a model pupil, sweet-natured well behaved. But occasionally she can be very naughty. I’d like to see more of the latter

I’m not going to predict anything, just say what I want to see, within bounds that I think are realistic:

Ranking: return to top 5
Tournaments: 3+ wins (preferred tourneys Hobart (long overdue 1st title on home soil), Stuttgart (long overdue 1st title on red clay) and RG (long overdue period).
H2H: The only players who I think are a major problem for her these days are Serena, Vika, Maria, Petra, Simona and Lucie. I don’t think it’s beyond her to beat any of them. If she can score at least one win against each of them next year I would be over the moon.
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

^Great post Stro! Agree with a lot with what you said - still a bit busy lately - this year has been rather dramatic with loads of highs and lows so will need some time to come up with something.
annetcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #11

Blergh, why did I write so many questions!? I promise I’ll keep it shorter next year But everyone should feel free to answer only the questions they want to, or to tackle the questions in a few instalments.

From memory, I think the highest level she played at was against Keys in Osaka. Maintained a very aggressive approach, with a lot of consistency, for two whole sets. Her best match in in terms of "momentousness" was definitely against Azarenka in Carlsbad - both for winning her first title in yonks, displaying an amazing amount of steeliness, and finally getting a win over one of her last remaining arch nemeses.

Looking back on the year now, there weren't as many abysmal losses as I had anticipated. The losses to Bouchard and Duval look bad on paper, but the surrounding circumstances make them understandable. I didn't see GovortsovaGate, so I can't comment on that one. I'm going to have to go with Zheng at the AO, given that I was there in the stadium that day and that it subsequently holds a very dear place in my heart. People often call Sam a choker, but that was one of the few times recently I've seen her have a bona fide, 100% incontrovertible choke

I actually really like her Sydney outfit, although I don't remember her playing in it. The Carlsbad one has positive associations, but I think I prefer Sydney in terms of the actual clothes.

(I just noticed, but Sam seems to have a weird clause in her contract that requires her to wear a dress at grand slam events? )

I'm tempted to say against Misaki Doi in Osaka on the basis of the match commentary, but I didn't see that match so I won't. Maybe against Monica Niculescua in Doha - she was playing some very good tennis and driving Sammy insane. Sam did well to stay (relatively) calm after a good old-fashioned second set collapse.

Against Azarenka in Rome. Watching the match, Sammy was basically totally outplaying her - but still managed to lose. So I guess this wasn't the best performance mentally, but it showcased how dangerous she still is on the clay. Loss to Lisicki gets an honourable mention - really brilliant serving in the first set in particular.

Slice serve out wide on the deuce court. Out of nowhere it seems to have become one of her best serves, and really helps her out in tight situations. When combined with the flat/kick serves down the tee on that side, and her kicker out wide on the ad court, it makes her an even bigger nightmare to return against.

FH. I don't know if this is just my imagination, or if her opponents are reading her FH a lot better than they used to, but it isn't the lethal put away shot that it used to be. I sometimes think that when Sam does get a relatively easy ball, there's a sort of pressure that she feels to end the point, but then at the same time she gets worried about hitting an error, so she either overplays it or just hits with a buttload of top spin down the middle of the court. She can use her spin to create some really sharp angles that can be relatively safe in their aggression - I'd love her to work some more on this over the off season.

Toss up between:
1) Empress JJ at the FO. Stupid annoying loss that could have turned into a QF or better very easily. JJ didn't start playing better in the second or the third, Sammy just fell apart for reasons that aren't entirely clear
2) Halep at Sofia. I think Halep was just too bloody good in Moscow. But she was beatable in Sofia. Unfortunately, Sam sort of tightened up once the match became more of a contest in the second and third sets. Would have been a great addition to her resume

I like the moment in my avatar (brilliantly captured by Bertrand ), which is technically on-court I guess, but not strictly related to playing a match itself. Just like a surrealist Chagall painting, and another thing that gives Carlsbad really positive connotations for me

Something to do with developing the ability to focus on the particular and the mundane when facing difficult or overwhelming tasks. I heard somewhere that a lot of the most successful athletes maintain their cool in the tensest situations by convincing themselves that the outcome of a particular match/race/game don't matter too much to them - I think Sam could benefit from that kind of ability.

St Bernard dog. Big and scary on the outside, but huggable and loveable within

Parce Mihi Domine from Jan Garbarek & The Hilliard Ensemble. If anything could calm Sam down when playing in Australia, this might be it.

Regarding her coaching situation, I really do not know. For so long I thought that she had a great partnership with Dave, but it seems like the last few weeks have kind of put paid to that idea. I think Sam does have quite a strong support team with just Sim, her sports psychologist, and with some of the old WTA hands she has a good relationship with on tour. That isn’t to say that she wouldn’t benefit from a coach, but I don’t think she should jump in and start up a relationship with anyone she isn’t completely happy with (which, to her credit, seems to be the case). I’m not sure that a coach just for grand slam events would be the best idea, because I think it might end up being more of a distraction rather than helping her; if/when she gets a coach, I’d like it to be more or less full-time (although with a greater degree of latitude for Sam in terms of showing her creativity and having freedom on court).
Regarding doubles, I like the idea of Sam playing doubles relatively regularly – maybe not at every single event, but at the two week tournaments where she gets free days between singles matches, or when she’s just come through a disappointing patch where she hasn’t played many matches. I think looking to play some doubles can give her something else to focus on when things aren’t going her way. I don’t think the doubles tires her out too much, as long as it’s managed reasonably well. I am expecting a calendar year GS with Sveta next year, tbh

Samantha Jane spent most of her time this year goofing around at the back of the classroom with injuries and headcasery. Fortunately, her natural brilliance shone through in the final exams where she did very well, thus salvaging her year. In future, I would encourage Samantha Jane to maintain a more consistent level of unstoppable badassery throughout the year.

I think she can return to the top 10. I read somewhere that, on the basis of her results from the FO onwards, she would be ranked 13th. Given how many of those points are “loaded” right at the tail end of the year, it gives her a great opportunity to shoot up the rankings if she can play with more consistency at the big events. In particular, I hope she can avoid getting too many 0s from the mandatory events next year. In terms of tournament wins, I believe she will win one major title (FO, IW, USO, Rome might be the most likely), and a smaller event (Charleston again, I hope). She will also go back to dominating the shorties like she used to, while continuing to improve against the six foot tall glamazons.

Last edited by SilverPersian : Nov 6th, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post
SOME SAM ZEN GARDENING:

- Dumping Dave*.
Tell us how you really feel B!

I really have to give you props for this - you've been the only one to consistently be critical of Dave over a longish period of time. Still early days, but it looks like you might have been right about the need for Sam to "move on" all along

Quote:
- "Take all your time".
Yeah. I think she has gotten better at this, actually, but there are still times where she can be coasting along looking comfortable, and then all of a sudden in the blink of an eye she gets herself into a difficult situation for no reason. Getting into a Masha-like habit of extensive breaks between each point to think over the situation might be a good thing for her (or it might mean that she *overthinks* and ends up shooting herself in the foot, who knows )

Quote:
- A cat: automatically falling down with style and dignity, without complaining. And just coming back!
B.

Love it!

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisforadults View Post
Sorry I'm lazy. I will answer the 1st two questions...
That's fine - I was probably asking a bit much with the number of questions I asked

Quote:
Let's stop for a moment to appreciate how lucky Australian tennis fans are to have Samantha Stosur flying their flag on the tennis circuit. She is incredibly durable, being a fixture in the top 20 since 2009 when she made her French Open breakthrough. A stretch of 5 seasons is more than a lifetime for most players. Even in a bad year like 2013, Sam has somehow made it up by winning 2 titles and making 2 finals to stay in touch with the top group. Breakthroughs are easy, but maintaining results at a high level for a long period is much harder. Sam is an absolute machine compared to any other Aussie female player to have turned pro in the last 20 years.

I'm just glad we still have lots to look forward to from Sam in 2014.
Love it; so true.

It's pretty telling that, even without her late-year surge of form, Sam should have won the Newcombe Medal for the fourth (?) year in a row. They might have given it to Bernie for a bit of a change up, but that would have been undeserved. Even in a mostly-disastrous season, she was still by far the best Aussie player

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
[b]
My second point is that I think she needs to be more ruthless and aggressive against opponents she is obviously too good for. I think she too often allows herself to get involved in lengthy rallies with players who are far below her in level. She can beat those players while playing like that, but it costs her a lot of mental energy that she badly needs in later rounds against quality opponents. Far better to simplify her tactics against the lesser opponents and just blow them away with her power. There as well she needs to increase her margin for error, but she still needs to keep the points shorter than she currently does.
Yeah, she does have a bit of a tendency to "play to the level of her opponents" rather than consistently executing at her own level. It's the old simultaneous fear of winning and fear of losing that we all know and love

Quote:
I Don’t Know How You’re Livin’ by Lucinda Williams. Because it’s such a beautiful song about friendship and unconditional support and loyalty. I want Sam to have friends like that (I’m sure she does).
I have a lot of internet left over the next few days so I might download one of her CDs

Quote:
I’d like to see her occasionally using OCC. Not very often, but there are moments when I think it could make a huge difference. She could really have used some OCC in Sofia I think.
Yeah I agree with this. It's all very and well and good to say that Sam needs to learn how to work the match out on her own, but sometimes she might need some "in situ" pointers about how to work the match out on her own, for future reference (if that makes sense).

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #15

Fun fact: Sam never lost a SF in 2013