Rumored Format Changes - 2013 Edition - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all
Rumored Format Changes - 2013 Edition

It seems the USTA, NCAA and ITA are at it again, trying to make college tennis popular for TV

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...ment-with.html
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rumored Format Changes - 2013 Edition

And USC has been recruiting good doubles players Now I get why USC team was snubbed in NY (Wait..does it mean NCAA dbls championship is meaningless next year? No way in HELL will USTA allow 2 college teams to compete, right? )

This is even more preposterous than the 3rd set super tiebreaker scheme which failed. I would rather have that than having dbls shortened or eliminated.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/kate__fuller

Kate twitted. I'm rooting for her to win NCAA dbls next year

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the ITA & NCAA part of this one? I thought it was USTA this time. I do know doubles is the consistently exciting part of College Tennis. The thought of going back to singles first and having to sit through those slow paced first singles sets is depressing.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #5
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

You want to really shorten the playing time? Here's a better idea. Award a point to EACH doubles matches

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #6
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

To summarize, there are two proposals-

NCAA/USTA proposal:
1) Singles First [Full Matches Played Out, with play suspended if either team clinches 4 points]
2) Doubles is just a 10-point supertiebreak [only played if singles are tied 3-3]

ITA/Coaches counter-proposal:
1) Doubles first for 1 point [each match is 1 set to 6, tiebreak at 5-5, 1-ad]
2) Singles second [3 sets to 6, tiebreaks at 5-5, 1-ad]

I have never heard of 1-ad games, but I guess it's a thing?
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #7
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Either way, doubles is screwed. So they really think taking 2 gms from dbls will considerably lessen the playing time, eh? Nice sacrifice they're making Remember, that's just a counterproposal. Dunno if it's ITA's maginot line or starting line, but the final 'solution' might be even harsher

I guess it's a done deal so we might as well discuss what it's impact might be.

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Sep 19th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #8
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute

Why are they making this so complicated? If you are dropping the set length in doubles, why not just make it a standard one set match (first to 6, or by two games if at 5-5, tie break at 6-6) instead of tiebreak at 5-5 which noone uses anywhere.

If college is supposed to at least potentially be a bridge to going pro, having a format which is not comparable to anything else is pointless. One-ad scoring? Give me a break, just go to no-ad - if it's good enough for the pros it's good enough for college tennis.

The change also completely misses the point of the warm-up. It's not actually about "warming-up", or at least it shouldn't be. It's about the player using the time to work their opponent out, throw various ball lengths, spins, heights and work out some initial tactics.

It's like they have sat down, decided to make some changes, and then deliberately come up with the most random, complex means of making those changes by basically just inventing new scoring systems.
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #9
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Tv? TV coverage of the PRO circuit it shrinking due to ratings drain. So NOW this is your argument for radical change?

More Fans? You could have nude tennis and if schools don't market it then nobody will know. And about 2 out of 320 D1 teams market tennis beyond the courtesy poster in the Student Union or a Facebook page. That's not OUTREACH.

How about a certain sub-set of lazy coaches who want the days to end quicker. Or David Benjamin needs to leave his mark on the way to pasture?

Next up, change college baseball because it's the 2nd longest sport to play in NCAA. At 2-2 count, the next pitch either walks you or you strike out. Or you get one foul ball and then it's a strike if you do it again.

Hopefully the NCAA will do what they did with last year's proposed changed... SEND THEM BACK because they weren't properly instituted (vetted) before a similar lame letter what sent out.

Gimmick changes to the game will only make people respect it LESS. Not bring more people in.

Under this mandatory tryout procedure with doubles gutted and singles shortened, I hope they are eliminating the individual national championships. You could have top players, matches that naturally take longer when it's too strong opponents, never completing matches. And doubles becomes a total joke.

Good job driving serious juniors away from college tennis though.

The people on the ITA operating committee, and the USTA committee who recommended even more radical shortenening of matches to mirror club tennis, should be put to pasture. Quoting Roy Hobbs to the weasel newspaper reporter in The Natural: "Have you ever played the game?"

Pathetic.

Last edited by beachman49 : Sep 19th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #10
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

It's not the first change for doubles, either. ITA already 'tweaked' from TB 8 all to 7 all.

Now it's 5 all. You get the trajectory? We're witnessing the demise of college dbls.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #11
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

One effect might be this: less importance of dual matches results in individual ranking, since the format is becoming a joke.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #12
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Under the proposal, I'd predict the average time of a match would decline, but the standard deviation would nearly triple. Can't see how that would be good for either television scheduling, or the potential for double-headers.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #13
country flag its_a_racquet

its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice

1. The changes are simply bad for the sport. 2. There is no market for college tennis on TV, no matter the format!
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #14
country flag DollyRose
IT MUST BE LOVE

DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_a_racquet View Post
1. The changes are simply bad for the sport. 2. There is no market for college tennis on TV, no matter the format!
Sadly I agree And actually Pro Tennis doesn't get much respect in the U.S. either. They are always moving the coverage of a single Tournament from one channel to another channel to another channel, etc.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #15
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyRose View Post
Sadly I agree And actually Pro Tennis doesn't get much respect in the U.S. either. They are always moving the coverage of a single Tournament from one channel to another channel to another channel, etc.
I agree with your first statement, but I don't think they move them around for that reason. It all has to do with which channel has the rights to broadcast which tournament, which match, etc.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote