Venus is getting her ranking up in Tokyo: with a 209 kmh serve into the SF! - Page 131 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1951
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus is getting her ranking up in Tokyo: with a 209 kmh serve into the SF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWaagh View Post
She must have had about 10 BP's in that third set as well.
Obviously the fact that she has been playing well this week is great, but she will have to become better in these tight situations in order to win titles.

I totally agree with you that she's going to have to become better in these tight situations. I'M just grateful that her serve is starting to click. This is actually her real first tournament outside of the USO that we've seen some consistency in her game. Now that the serve is starting to click she can start getting working more on her shot selection and court positioning because the serve will give her more options.

Venus has to continue to work on her serve and her return game and hone in her energy more. She will get the strategic side down with more play. The other top players have been playing in these tight situations for YEARS and whereas Venus hasn't. They are match sharp, whereas she's getting there.

I'm not expecting her entire game to turn around with this one tournament. She must continue to play tournaments and get her confidence and start REUSING all of her weapons that have been dormant for the past 3-4 years. She'll get there like everybody else got there when they were coming back from injuries. We have to allow her the same process that we allowed everybody else.

Venus just has to continue to get her ranking up so she won't have to face these top players in early rounds. She must use the remainder of this year to do that. Now that she's made it to a semi, now she can focus on making it to some of these finals.

Last edited by Foxy : Sep 27th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #1952
country flag Michael!
indescribable

Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute

Great week for Venus,some great play, really surprised about that, didn´t expect her to play that well after her previous results this year but she already played better in NY and now Tokyo was best play of Venus so far this year.

But yeah, even on good days she has problems often to win big matches, tons of BPs wasted today, another weak TB in the end, that´s frustrating...but in general this was a great week obviously.

Hope she can do well in China now as well, still have that hope that she will be able to stay healthy for a longer time (as healthy as she can be with that Sjögren syndrome), then she should be able to improve further, more consistent on serve, getting mentally tougher again in matches like today etc.
Michael! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1953
country flag MrWaagh
Venus fan!

MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully she will stay positive
MrWaagh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1954
country flag Alarmed

Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future

Venus flops another tiebreak. SMH. This match was so winnable.... But this week was a great one for Vee regardless! Still... sucks to end it like this.

Come back strong for Beijing and if you lose early play Osaka/Moscow.

Oldest #1 in WTA history
Alarmed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1955
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1956
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Great fight from Venus this week. May she go deep in China!

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1957
country flag Loveangelnr1

Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future

Ohhh Vee

She had a fantastic week tho with lots to build on. I look forward to it as Vee always brings me joy. I'm still proud of you, Queen Venus Keep your head up and play well in China.
Loveangelnr1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1958
country flag Loveangelnr1

Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future Loveangelnr1 has a brilliant future

Okay Mr Waagh, that gif hurt
Loveangelnr1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1959
country flag jean_genie

jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Oh! This breaks my heart even more than waking up to the news of the loss She's had such a good week and she tries SO HARD that it's disappointing when she doesn't win. But it looks like she fought till the end, yes? Someone give me a brief recap please because I might not be able to watch the match. Or was it just the TIEBREAK OF DEATH once again??

Anyway, at least she lost to a ball striker like Kvitova instead of getting pushed to death in the final against Kerber or Woz

Also, was her movement hindered? I see there was some strapping on her thigh.

On to China Open Veelievers!!
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1960
country flag MajesticVenus
La Reina V.

MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future MajesticVenus has a brilliant future

Ew @ that gif.

Anyway, I am so freaking proud of our Queen Vee! She brought it throughout the whole week and after three long 3-setters she lost in a final tiebreak which is really outstanding. She finally managed to recover from each match and there weren't that much signs of fatigue.

She got the ranking points and the first round BYE for Beijing and she didn't lose to anyone random. Kvitova played out of her mind based on what I saw until 5-4 in the third set. Full credit to her and her wonderful performance. And I wouldn't want to see Venus losing to Kerber AGAIN just because she was tired. Again, really proud of our Vee for giving her all.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1961
country flag dynamoRockstarr
Venus Fan

dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just happy to see Vee's game is getting on track, especially the serving. And the fight. Vee has always been a little iffy on break points, many times she can never take it on first try. But hopefully that'll get better. She has lots to be positive about. And she has a bye in Beijing!!

Really, I didn't expect her to play like she did! At all!

Planet Venus

[SouthSide, Duval, Keys, Stephens]
dynamoRockstarr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1962
country flag leftbrian

leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Since the start of 2009, Venus' tiebreak record has been: 15-25.

2009: 3-12
2010: 5-2 (Good but the 2 losses were in the most painful 2 matches)
2011: 0-2
2012: 5-5
2013: 2-4
Oh dear. I remember 2009 was a very strange year. Her win-loss record was horrible but was getting into the finals of big tournaments.

I hope at least she ended up WINNING most of these matches despite her abysmal TB record.
leftbrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #1963
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute

oh my, that gif

She's clearly developed a complex about tiebreaks...her complete overreaction to missing the very first point of it confirms that. I think she needs to try a new approach and laugh off those bad misses or something
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #1964
country flag it-girl
Veelieving!!!!!!!

it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This was after she lost the perfect set up pt by hitting it into the net. This look says it all. I'm proud to be a Venus Williams fan. She is the ultimate fighter. Every time she walks on the court she is fighting her opponent & herself and she does it without complaining at all. She relishes the challenge and is an inspiration to many because of her never give up attitude.

VEELIEVER ♥ RENA'S ARMY♥
it-girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1965
country flag tonythetiger

tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future

That's the saddest gif I have ever seen. But, the way Venus played in this tournament gives me hope that she can come back. This proves that if Vee is healthy, she can still win trophies even at 33 years of age. Mark my word, if she stays healthy, Venus will win a major next year and become one of the oldest players to do so. She is hungry and inspired. I know that Serena's success has fully motivated Venus. She wanted that trophy!
"No other female pop star, not Mariah Carey, not Celine Dion, not Barbra Streisand - quite rivals Houston in her exquisite vocal fluidity and purity of tone, and her ability to infuse a lyric with mesmerizing melodrama." Los Angeles Times
tonythetiger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote