OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #196
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future
Re: OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread

Wikipedia reveals nobody plausible.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #197
country flag Gruftgesänge

Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of

Regarding the short-lived 'trial' hiring of Maclagan it's worth remembering the original circumstances behind it. Laura announced in May that she was in no hurry to select a new coach and that she would be working with the Adidas coaching team (Groenefeld, Cahill et al) until the end of the grass-court season. I think what changed her mind was the débâcle in Paris. She was hotly tipped to beat the slumping Caroline Wozniacki but since Wozniacki was a fellow Adidas client she could not utilise the services of the Adidas team for the match. Instead the LTA flew over some bloke from London I've never heard of to help her prepare. Whatever preparation they did was ineffective: Laura played a sloppy, clueless match. She surely realized then and there that she couldn't continue in this ad hoc fashion and that she urgently needed a personal coach. The hiring of Maclagan may have been a bit of a whim but it was a sensible decision since her round 1 opponent at Wimbledon was Maria Kirilenko - another Adidas client! - and, had she stayed with Adidas, she would have found herself in precisely the same trap as in Paris. In the longer term I'm not so sure whether Maclagan had the experience or skills for his role. At this stage of her career Laura truly needs a top-flight coach: she'll be turning 20 in the New Year.

Högstedt sounds a very promising choice. He's immensely experienced, he's worked extensively on the WTA tour, and he seems to be popular with his charges - which can't be said for Krajan. He's also reported to be a fan of Laura's howitzer groundstrokes.

It's scarcely believable but the favoured appointment on Britishtennis.net is Nigel Sears! Apart from his uncanny ability to cause his players to lose weight drastically, I can't imagine what Sears' other credentials are. Laura should stay as far away from him as possible.

Paul Annacone is also available now that PseudoFed's fired him but he's never worked with WTA players before, and I doubt he'd be seriously interested.
Gruftgesänge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #198
country flag Lloy4dAustin

Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe Sven Groeneveld?
================================================== ================================================== ================
Lloy4dAustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #199
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloy4dAustin View Post
Maybe Sven Groeneveld?
Yes, maybe http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...her-coach.html

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #200
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Just watching Genie in Luxembourg - Laura should ask her BFF if she can share her coach.

She has certainly come on a long way in the last 12 months and is doing all sorts of things consistently well. Serve, groundstrokes & volleys are all far superior to Laura's (at least in the first set).
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #201

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Genie has lost the 2nd set - maybe she has more in common with Laura than I thought. Mind you it was due in a large part due to very good play & strong hitting from Petkovic rather than the self induced collapse that has been a feature of Laura 2013.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #202
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allracquetsports View Post
Just watching Genie in Luxembourg - Laura should ask her BFF if she can share her coach.

She has certainly come on a long way in the last 12 months and is doing all sorts of things consistently well. Serve, groundstrokes & volleys are all far superior to Laura's (at least in the first set).
Don't compare.

They may only be 1 month apart in birth but there development has been very different. Genie's had the year Laura has last year in some sense. Laura had a 35-25 W/L last year. Genie has a 37/22 this year.

Laura is in a "sophomore slump" right now. Genie is in the "Rookie" stage if you must say.

Genie does have superb consistency, she's a great counterpuncher and plays percentage tennis which causes more wins. Laura will always be hit and miss unless she can control her power. When all her balls go in court, she's hard to beat.

Last edited by Royals. : Oct 16th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Royals. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #203
country flag jay holter

jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of

Genie is quality but Laura is definitely the more talented player, let's hope she starts showing it next year.
jay holter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #204
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

A titbit from the tennisspace: http://www.thetennisspace.com/nick-b...obsons-future/
Quote:
A number of UK newspaper reports suggested that Robson will train with at the IMG Nick Bollettieri academy in Florida this off-season but it was confirmed to The Tennis Space on Wednesday that no plans have been made.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #205
country flag boggoTHEgoat

boggoTHEgoat is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people here have followed Laura since even before the Junior Wimbledon and probably know everything there is to know about her game so I have a simple question: Is Laura a brainless ball basher?
boggoTHEgoat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #206
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@russellcfuller Laura Robson's coaching vacancy is proving very attractive with Thomas Hogstedt and Nigel Sears both said to be showing an interest
Please Hogstedt, please.

Not Nigel Sears. Really do not want Laura turning into a skeleton. A British coach coaching British player is never good anyway.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #207
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyElectric. View Post
Please Hogstedt, please.

Not Nigel Sears. Really do not want Laura turning into a skeleton. A British coach coaching British player is never good anyway.
Anyone but Sears

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggoTHEgoat View Post
Some people here have followed Laura since even before the Junior Wimbledon and probably know everything there is to know about her game so I have a simple question: Is Laura a brainless ball basher?
When things are going her way, Laura crashes some beautiful forehand winners down the line and also has a lovely inside out shot across court. Problem is, far too often in the next match the errors come on the same shots that yesterday were winners. One of the things that needs to be addressed by her new coach is why this talent is never on show for more than 2 or 3 games in a row. Just maybe, the talent is an illusion created by hitting the ball harder and harder whether it is the right shot at the right time or not - when it is your day you can beat anyone (almost) but more often than not poor shot selection means you can also lose to anyone (almost). Which could explain how you can beat 4 or 5 top twenty players but in the same 12 months lose to numerous players ranked below 50, and even down in the 100's.

Wimbledon sums up Laura in a single tournament. She played really well and showed improvement in many areas of her game against higher and similarly ranked players, also showing previously hidden determination and fight to come through when behind and outplayed. Then against Kanepi who was very poor on the day, she was terrible and lost mainly through Brainless Ball Bashing, as you say. Example, on a number of occasions Kanepi was taken well out wide on the forehand and coming forward to take the weak return, Laura dumped a couple in the net but blasted most of them well long over the baseline, when anyone with half a brain would have played a 100% safe shot into the open court for a simple winner

The funny thing is, Laura appears to know what she should/should not be doing but completely loses her mind when on court. Somewhere in these threads, a link was posted to a recent interview with Laura when she said something like 'you can't just go out and hit the ball hard and not have any variety in your shots ....', then proceeded to belt the ball all over the court in the same tournament

17 year old Donna Vekic has 4 ITF titles and Annika Beck (1 month younger than Laura) has 7 ITF titles, whereas talented Laura, soon to be 20, has 1 ITF title and 1 WTA losing final appearance to her name. Tennis and professional sport in general is full of 'unfulfilled potential' and the frequent references to Laura's potential are based mainly on the unexpected victories against the top players (bashed them of court) while ignoring the string of unexpected losses against the lower players (bashed herself off court??). As regards BBB, Laura would do well to look back and ask herself not 'why did I play that shot badly' but 'should I have played that shot at all'.

Frustrating as it is, I actually love watching Laura play because apart from 'looks good on court' (damned with faint praise by Serena when asked about Laura's potential!), she is the first British woman who can really hit the ball hard since ....? Well she is probably the first British woman who can consistently hit the ball hard and sometimes accurately - I just wish she could learn to hit it less hard when the occasion demands.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #209
country flag Play_Suspended
Finding a cure for double-faultitis

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of

God I hope its Hogstedt and not Sears....please
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #210
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Really hoping for Hogstedt. Apart from being British, I don't see any reason why Sears should be in the running

Typical that we were all praising her decision to go to Florida for the winter and it turns out it was never true in the first place

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote