2013 REVIEW: Laura's Worst Loss of The Year? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which Was The Worst Loss?

Dubai R1: Yulia Putintseva def. Laura Robson 6-4 2-6 7-6(8) 7 46.67%
Indian Wells R1: Sofia Arivdsson def. Laura Robson 2-6 7-6(7) 6-1 1 6.67%
Miami R2: Alize Cornet def. Laura Robson 5-7 7-5 6-1 0 0%
Katowice R1: Lourdes Dominguez Lino def. Laura Robson 5-7 7-6(9) 6-1 1 6.67%
Madrid R3: Ana Ivanovic def. Laura Robson 5-7 6-2 7-6(7) 5 33.33%
Other (State) 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute
2013 REVIEW: Laura's Worst Loss of The Year?

Thought I'd make a thread for her worst losses of the year (there have been so many ) so we can vote and have a general discussion on the loss you felt was her worst. It is the off season after all

I included nearly all of her three set collapses. They were so bad.

I picked her match against Ivanovic in Madrid as her worst loss of the year. She played amazing in the first set, completely dominating Ana. She then built up a 5-2 lead in the third set and lost control of the match, she let Ana back in and she started dominating. I think even she thinks this was an awful loss. (She was in tears at the end of the match) she had a chance to make her first Premier QF and a French Open seeding.
Advertisement

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #2
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future
Re: 2013 REVIEW: Laura's Worst Loss of The Year?

Definitely against Ivanovic. It was an opportunity to get 2 big wins back to back
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Definitely against Ivanovic. It was an opportunity to get 2 big wins back to back
It was an awful loss.

Completely choked away.
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #4
country flag Evans.

Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all

I go for the Ana one too, as she'd had such a good second round match and was in complete control in the third. And it ended on a DF. Just awful.
Evans. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #5
country flag James Wolfe

James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold James Wolfe is a splendid one to behold

The Kanepi match at Wimbledon was one that got away. Kanepi wasn't playing especially well in the early stages and Laura had a glorious chance to win the first set, and perhaps go on to win the match. Just think of the possibilities if she had clinched the match: the draw was really opening up for her with Serena losing to Lisicki. If Laura had then beaten Lisicki that would have left only her pigeon, Aga Radwanska, standing between herself and her first Wimbledon final...

My candidate for her worst loss of the year though is another, rather more surprising one: Zheng Zie in Ghangzhou. Laura had played pretty well at the US Open and clearly came into her first event of the Asian swing feeling confident. She won her first two rounds handily and then faced Zie in the quarters. She came out firing on all cylinders, blew through the 1st set 6-1 and had numerous chances to break for 4-3 in the 2nd. (See the huge cross-court backhand winner she hits at 01:18 in this video clip, despite her gammy wrist: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjExMzI4NDI0.html.) But she failed to close out the set, losing it on a tie-break, and inexplicably her game collapsed. The closing moments of the video show her making careless errors and throwing her racket around. That defeat knocked the stuffing out of her - perhaps it awakened memories of those awful losses under Krajan's tutelage in February-April - and she turned up at her next tournament in Tokyo in a rotten mood and tanked her opening match against Morita. Her Asian tour quickly turned into a disaster and Bouchard and Keys passed her in the rankings. Had she beaten Zie and gone onto take the title in Guangzhou things might have turned out very differently.
James Wolfe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #6
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

I went for the Putintseva match - though the Ivanovic match was soul-destroying, I could take some positives from it. But losing to Putintseva...

Maria Sharapova: Always on Your Mind
AnnieIWillKnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #7
country flag Lloy4dAustin

Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light

all of them.
================================================== ================================================== ================
Lloy4dAustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #8
country flag Material World

Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of

Putintseva, Arvidsson, Lino, Date Krumm. Ugh.

Saw the Putintseva loss and it was like she didn't really know how to beat her.

Petkovic ~ Parmentier ~ Rezai ~ Errani ~ Puig ~ Pavlyuchenkova ~ Bouchard ~ Konta ~ Riske
Material World is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
country flag RobCic

RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice RobCic is just really nice

That Ivanovic match was a seriously bad choke and then double faulting on match point having saved one in the previous point
RobCic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #10
country flag nimble kitty

nimble kitty has disabled reputation

The Putintseva match was just dreadful especially since it was against such a low ranked player at the time and against such a ghastly and unlikeable player (her celebration at the end was like putting the knife in).

Notice how when Laura lost either a close or tie-break second set she went on to completely fall away and lose the third 6-1.
nimble kitty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #11
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimble kitty View Post
The Putintseva match was just dreadful especially since it was against such a low ranked player at the time and against such a ghastly and unlikeable player (her celebration at the end was like putting the knife in).

Notice how when Laura lost either a close or tie-break second set she went on to completely fall away and lose the third 6-1.
It was also her first real shocker of the year. I was slightly immune to them after that.

Maria Sharapova: Always on Your Mind
AnnieIWillKnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #12
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

There's so many The Ivanovic match was devastating but it was very easy to take the positives from that match having seemingly just recovered from her horrendous Feb-Apr slump. For once I looked forward to her next event and had confidence that she would perform well.

I voted for the Putintseva match. Losing to the lowest ranked player in the draw and a younger player too was really gutting, she had always been the leader of the pack in her age group. 'Twitter-gate' didn't make things any better. She obviously took that loss hard.

Honourable mention to Wozniacki at RG. I had such high expectations before the match, and after the first three games it seemed to be going well, only for it to all go terribly wrong very quickly.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote