why? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #1
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
why?

Why is Dinara losing one after another three-setter? Why is she losing matches in which she is killing (or close to it) her opponents in the first set?

does she lack what it takes to be a top 10 (a killer instinct)? or is she just too young?

she was up her whole match against Chladkova (3-0 in the final set) and yet lost again... this is so dissapointing
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #2
Leena

Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't worry... she's still young. We know she will be great in time.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:16 AM   #3
Yak

Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice
Yeah, relax! She's just 16! Give her another year or two and she will be killing everyone!

Look at Elena B two years ago! She was where Dinara is right now. Losing very close matches. And now look at where she is!

WTA: Anna Kournikova, Elena Bovina, Elena Dementieva, Barbara Schett, Anastasia Myskina, Maureen Drake, Marie-Ève Pelletier, Stephanie Dubois, Milagros Sequera

ATP: Marat Safin, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Fernando Gonzalez, Feliciano Lopez, Richard Gasquet, Arnaud Clément, Sébastien Grosjean, Daniel Nestor, Guillermo Coria, Frank Dancevic, Simon Larose, Rafael Nadal
Yak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:18 AM   #4
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
some players can't play at that high level for more than one set. young players have this trouble when they are in transition.

i am getting impatient with the russians.

i expected bovina, kuznetsova, zvonareva, sharapova, safina and petrova to all do a whole lot better this year.

petrova is having a hard time coming back from injury which i will consider probably until the end of this season because it can take that long to get confidence and the match play to do well.

bovina i'm giving time because her rise was so rapid her body didn't get a chance to learn how to recover after tough or big matches.

the others have just lost the plot. they are young but so far they are having worse years than last year and last.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #5
Leena

Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point
Exactly... Dinara Safina of 2002, was exactly the same as Elena Bovina of 2000. Give her time.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #6
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

The Safina - Early Bovina comparison is an excellent one! Don't forget, most of the Russians we hear so much about about now were still playing Juniors at Dinara's age. I am still very optimistic about her future. I don't mean the distant future; even later this year, I expect she will show you more of her promise.

Good luck, Dinara! Don't let it get you down!
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #7
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
I don't buy any explanations for Safina or Sharapova because of "ineperience" and being young, and lack of consistency because of that. At their age Anna was already making semis of Wimbledon, and was in the middle of her 18-month streak of not losing to any player ranked below 15. Players like Chladkova or Reeves? Anna-97 would give them 3 games maximum..
But then, who says that Sharapova or Safina are anywhere close to Kournikova in terms of talent? That's about us probably adjust our expectations closer to reality.. Sharapova does not want to be the second Anna.. She'd better want it. I think that in tennis she might achieve far less than Anna did.
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #8
country flag vaiva

vaiva has disabled reputation
Really, do not forget that Dinara is only 16 and she has played only a handful of matches on the senior tour. So she has a lot learning to do.

In one of her interviews she was asked what was the difference between the junior and the senior tour. Dinara answered that she was amazed during US Open that Rita Grande, being a set and a break down, was still trying to break her serve and get back into the match. In juniors, she said, girls usually give up at this stage and often it is enough to win just one set and you know that a second one will be an easy ride home.

Give her some time to mature. Be patient.

Good luck, Dinara! We love you no matter what
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #9
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with ys. Totally.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:36 AM   #10
country flag LeonHart

LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute
Give them time, its what makes being a fan so fun

Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru

Martina I will miss you!!
LeonHart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:40 AM   #11
Leena

Everyone matures differently... it's unfair to compare girls at such a young age.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #12
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation
It's hard to say why exactly but I think it's because of all the things mentioned in the posts above.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #13
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Getting crushed in the last set is becoming a Sharapova's trademark.. I have now serious doubt that this girl is even for real in this sport.. I mean, bageled by Reeves, then 6:1 in the second set to Callens. Perhaps, another Ashley in making...

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:46 AM   #14
country flag tenn_ace

o'k... sorry for bringing this thread up to life...

Dinara and Maria lost again...

Dinara's stats in this match are pathetic...

first serve - 54%
double faults - 8

and all for what??? for winning only 55% of the first serve

I serve better on my days off

ue - 46 in 16 games she played, i.e. on average she made almost 3ue in each game or let Nastya to win 71% of all points by basically giving them away

5 winners o'k, I agree it's tough to hit winners on dirt, but 5 in the whole match

I understand that she lost to a higher ranked player, who is currently better... but not all losses are equal. I think this one was BAD!

when will Dinara start playing again at her potential? (given that she wasn't overrated to begin with)
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:53 AM   #15
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Dinara has dissapointed big time! But there is still time for her to play better this year. The same goes for Maria.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg

Last edited by the cat : May 27th, 2003 at 02:08 AM.
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote