2013-2014 ITA Rankings - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 12th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #16
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013-2014 ITA Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gtennis View Post
When players get points in fall and they beat only line-up #s 3,4,5 or 6 players in spring and do not win all of them, they should not have the high rankings we have seen the last few years. This seems to show too much point value given to fall over spring. Beating a bunch of middle and lower line-up players in spring should not keep your ranking up. Referring to top 40.
Well, there is a case like Bojana Bobusic of California in 2008-9. She played #5, but had a monster performance in the Fall,
Hence, her high ranking of #15.

Her significant Fall results;

from the official website;

"won five consecutive matches at the Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional tournament including three over ranked opponents (
6-4, 6-4 over No. 16 Anastasia Petukhova of Fresno State;
6-1, 6-4 over No. 21 Katrina Zheltova of Sacramento State;
7-6, 3-6, 7-5 over No. 4 Hilary Barte of Stanford)
and advanced to the regional singles final to earn an automatic berth to the ITA National Indoor Championships...

defeated No. 12 Melanie Gloria in three sets to advance to the Cal Nike Invitational singles semifinal"
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 12th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #17
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

did she do as well in Regional NCAA and NCAA Individuals?
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #18
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
did she do as well in Regional NCAA and NCAA Individuals?
I do remember her losing in a tiebreaker to then UF no.1 Boonstra at NCAA singles tournament. 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(5)
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Sep 12th, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #19
country flag 3gtennis

wonder how factors like these should play a part: an easy region, region that a group of the best take the fall off, region that some of best do not play strategic tournaments. Toughest part of play is spring I think, where you have to be so strong mentally to handle the twice a week pressure packed grind of some conferences. Win for team and win for self. I know you are a fan of Emma --I have seen her play often--you can just imagine the pressure on her last year with their injuries, schedule and the 500 rule. These are a few of the reasons I am a fan of more importance on spring results.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #20
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
But they're not the only one

16. MACFARLANE/ROUTLIFFE UA
17. AHN/ZHAO STAN
20. ANDERSON/BRADY UCLA
21. OYEN/WOOLCOCK UF
39 Ellen Tsay Taylor Davidson Stanford
40 Hanna Mar Chalena Scholl Duke University
41 Breaunna Addison Pippa Horn University of Texas - Austin

Dunno Zhao, Woolcock & Horn's dbls prowess, but don't you worry, other newcomers are all good
For USC, Boren is a proven veteran, and Zoe is good..just you watch
Checked again and the ranking order roughly corresponds to veterans' final dbls ranking last season.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #21
country flag fantic

Quote:
wonder how factors like these should play a part: an easy region, region that a group of the best take the fall off, region that some of best do not play strategic tournaments. Toughest part of play is spring I think, where you have to be so strong mentally to handle the twice a week pressure packed grind of some conferences. Win for team and win for self. I know you are a fan of Emma --I have seen her play often--you can just imagine the pressure on her last year with their injuries, schedule and the 500 rule. These are a few of the reasons I am a fan of more importance on spring results.
You mean Ema? Were we talking about her? Didn't she win like 40 matches last season. I guess Fall tourneys have significance since you get to play lots of RANKED opponents. For example WAATC has consolation matches. If you win MD consolation...Petuckhova won it a few years ago so got ranked 9th or something, even though she didn't play much in the spring
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #22
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
When players get points in fall and they beat only line-up #s 3,4,5 or 6 players in spring and do not win all of them, they should not have the high rankings we have seen the last few years. This seems to show too much point value given to fall over spring. Beating a bunch of middle and lower line-up players in spring should not keep your ranking up. Referring to top 40.
True that sometimes wins in the Fall seem to have too much 6 months later, but there has been some good players at #3 on the top Pac-12 teams.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #23
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
True that sometimes wins in the Fall seem to have too much 6 months later, but there has been some good players at #3 on the top Pac-12 teams.
Absolutely

4's would be debateable but possible.

But the 5's and 6's.... really is a closed shop where elite schools are massively over rated by this committee.

And, even if you are a star but choose to transfer, how can you be ranked in doubles with someone you've never won a match with?
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #24
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
Absolutely

But the 5's and 6's.... really is a closed shop where elite schools are massively over rated by this committee.
Such as? Who? Recently elite schools are pretty much packed..good players who can play higher positions at other schools play lower positions in elite schools [/quote]

Quote:
And, even if you are a star but choose to transfer, how can you be ranked in doubles with someone you've never won a match with?
Why are you only mentioning transfers? There are plenty of dbls teams which are ranked (high) with a veteran/newcomer mix, I've already mentioned quite a few.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #25
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
Absolutely

4's would be debateable but possible.

Still, recently, Stacey Tan was an NCAA tournament finalist in a year that she played on the back courts in the #5 position
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #26
country flag fantic

56 Gabriella DeSimone University of Southern California
63 Catherine Harrison UCLA
69 Clementina Riobueno University of Miami (Florida)
71 Georgina Sellyn Vanderbilt University
73 Ellen Tsay Stanford
75 Olivia Janowicz University of Florida
78 Marianne Jodoin Duke University
79 Kaitlin Ray UCLA
86 Kaitlyn Christian University of Southern California
91 Giuliana Olmos University of Southern California
92 Tessa Lyons North Carolina
93 Paula de Man Auburn University ??
94 Natalia Maynetto University of Alabama
100 Ashley Dai North Carolina
106 Maria Ines Deheza Texas A&M University
108 Anna Mamalat Texas A&M University
113 Nikki Sanders Texas Tech
115 Stefania Nicolae Texas A&M ?

These are the #5-6 ranked players from elite schools, could you point out who exactly are you talking about, beachman

We'll see how those ranking holds in the upcoming fall tournaments such as WAATC and the Regionals..

And, if non elite players beat those ranked players, THEY in turn will be ranked highly, to put a positive spin on it
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Sep 13th, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #27
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Capra's ranking is low because didn't she have to withdraw from Duke??

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #28
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Still, recently, Stacey Tan was an NCAA tournament finalist in a year that she played on the back courts in the #5 position
That kind of result can ONLY happen at Stanford
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #29
country flag 3gtennis

My point was simply to raise my opinion that sometimes players that had a big win in fall, got to stay pretty high all year even beating few if any top 50 players all spring. There are two factors that happen some years: elite take off in fall for pro tourneys or only play select few tournaments. elite do well enough at AllAmerican and not play at ITA regionals. With no pressure, there are some players that have one big tournament and upset elites or win an elite void regional tournament. I agree, the top 10 teams do have 1's for many schools playing lower, but after watching Stanford, Cal. Florida, Georgia, A&M, Baylor and others there are lots of 1's that can play middle or lower of those lineups. I also agree Stanford might have the deepest roster many years. My point of Ema, a person Fantic liked last spring, was the tremendous pressure she faced last year every week with Baylor's young, injury filled lineup as they struggled to reach a positive record of wins. The pressure of fall matches hardly registers compared to the spring--importance of matches for your team, travel, school, often two pressure matches each week-week after week.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #30
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

A digital magazine with a preview of 2013-2014. It looks like it was just put out and there are errors in it.

http://tennis15-30.com/issues/2013/09/15/
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote