2013-2014 ITA Rankings - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute
2013-2014 ITA Rankings

First rankings came out today!

Singles: http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa...s_Rankings.htm

Doubles: http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa...s_Rankings.htm

Freshman: http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa...r_Rankings.htm

No surprises in the singles or the freshman rankings for me, but Anderson/Brady in the doubles rankings with Morton nowhere to be seen. Anyone know if she ended up transferring?
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2013-2014 ITA Rankings

USC has the most ranked players with 6, followed by UCLA with 5. California has the highest ranked top 4 players.

1 Sabrina Santamaria University of Southern California 6
17 Zoe Scandalis University of Southern California 6
19 Brynn Boren University of Southern California 6
56 Gabriella DeSimone University of Southern California 6
86 Kaitlyn Christian University of Southern California 6
91 Giuliana Olmos University of Southern California 6
2 Robin Anderson UCLA 5
11 Kyle McPhillips UCLA 5
63 Catherine Harrison UCLA 5
79 Kaitlin Ray UCLA 5
80 Chanelle Van Nguyen UCLA 5
4 Zsofi Susanyi California 4
5 Anett Schutting California 4
23 Klara Fabikova California 4
44 Lynn Chi California 4
24 Hanna Mar Duke University 4
27 Beatrice Capra Duke University 4
42 Ester Goldfeld Duke University 4
78 Marianne Jodoin Duke University 4
3 Lauren Herring University of Georgia 4
14 Maho Kowase University of Georgia 4
60 Silvia Garcia University of Georgia 4
101 Kate Fuller University of Georgia 4
16 Sofie Oyen University of Florida 4
38 Alex Cercone University of Florida 4
64 Brianna Morgan University of Florida 4
75 Olivia Janowicz University of Florida 4
31 Caroline Price North Carolina 4
33 Whitney Kay North Carolina 4
92 Tessa Lyons North Carolina 4
100 Ashley Dai North Carolina 4
52 Stephanie Wagner University of Miami (Florida) 4
54 Kelsey Laurente University of Miami (Florida) 4
69 Clementina Riobueno University of Miami (Florida) 4
84 Lina Lileikite University of Miami (Florida) 4
8 Krista Hardebeck Stanford 3
13 Kristie Ahn Stanford 3
73 Ellen Tsay Stanford 3
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #3
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

UCLA and Stanford will eventually get in 6 ranked players once their freshmen start playing.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
UCLA and Stanford will eventually get in 6 ranked players once their freshmen start playing.
Even if she has the game, its hard for the #6 to get ranked because she has few chances to get "W's" against other ranked players.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Even if she has the game, its hard for the #6 to get ranked because she has few chances to get "W's" against other ranked players.
That's why the Fall tournaments such as All American and the Regionals are so important, I guess..
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #6
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

Capra's ranking (27) seems pretty random. She was ranked #2 at the end of 2012 season...
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #7
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

These rankings are completely random and filled with politics of the 'committee'. Capra makes no sense. Likewise I don't care what your pedigree, a # 5 and # 6 at the "big" schools should not be ranked. They don't play tough matches most of year. Heck, two seasons ago the Long Beach bottom half were giving UCLA's bottom half fits so two girls came up with random injury delays while trailing so they could avoid losing before UCLA post 4 pts elsewhere. Likewise, how is Heneghan from UC Davis ranked off one random win yet she was maybe 3rd or 4th # 1 in Big West last year. The ITA rankings are a mess.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
country flag beachman49

Add on thoughts after looking at rankings:

1) How are Boren (transfer) and Katz # 19? They've never played a match together. How can you be ranked, particularly in doubles, never having played a match? That is not possible.

2) How is Heneghan at Davis ranked. Only ranked win was a 7-5, default win over a SJSU girl. Actually 4-4 in league and losing 7-11 record last spring (4-11 when you take out pathetic Cal Poly and Riverside). Lost her last three matches, include 1,0 to UOP # 1 and 2,3 to LB # 1 (the LB # 1 beat her twice). Not saying I can advocate someone else in her place... but how does that justify a ranking... and on one default win?
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #9

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
These rankings are completely random and filled with politics of the 'committee'. Capra makes no sense. Likewise I don't care what your pedigree, a # 5 and # 6 at the "big" schools should not be ranked. They don't play tough matches most of year. Heck, two seasons ago the Long Beach bottom half were giving UCLA's bottom half fits so two girls came up with random injury delays while trailing so they could avoid losing before UCLA post 4 pts elsewhere. Likewise, how is Heneghan from UC Davis ranked off one random win yet she was maybe 3rd or 4th # 1 in Big West last year. The ITA rankings are a mess.
I tried looking for that UCLA/LB match. I couldn't find one that was close to what you described. The only one in the past 3 years was in the 2012 NCAA 2nd round. Is that the match?
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #10

Quote:

1) How are Boren (transfer) and Katz # 19? They've never played a match together. How can you be ranked, particularly in doubles, never having played a match? That is not possible.

2) How is Heneghan at Davis ranked. Only ranked win was a 7-5, default win over a SJSU girl. Actually 4-4 in league and losing 7-11 record last spring (4-11 when you take out pathetic Cal Poly and Riverside). Lost her last three matches, include 1,0 to UOP # 1 and 2,3 to LB # 1 (the LB # 1 beat her twice). Not saying I can advocate someone else in her place... but how does that justify a ranking... and on one default win?
For the doubles ranking, there are a few teams ranked that have never played together. Robin Anderson and Jen Brady is another team.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #11
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But they're not the only one

16. MACFARLANE/ROUTLIFFE UA
17. AHN/ZHAO STAN
20. ANDERSON/BRADY UCLA
21. OYEN/WOOLCOCK UF
39 Ellen Tsay Taylor Davidson Stanford
40 Hanna Mar Chalena Scholl Duke University
41 Breaunna Addison Pippa Horn University of Texas - Austin

Dunno Zhao, Woolcock & Horn's dbls prowess, but don't you worry, other newcomers are all good
For USC, Boren is a proven veteran, and Zoe is good..just you watch
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Sep 11th, 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #12
country flag beachman49

The 2012 2nd round.... LB was close in one and leading in two the did not finish (bottom half as I recall)... the girls at 5 and 6 kept taking medical breaks to 'stretch' or potty breaks. You could see UCLA was gonna win so they just stalled to avoid their individual losses. If LB's 5 & 6 can play them that close, they shouldn't be ranked.

no doubt all those pairs WILL be good... but heck, maybe I could get nationally ranked without having played too? Silly and unjustified until you actually win some matches. I would use the word 'unfair'
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #13
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping Emina can move up the rankings! She won a 10K this summer beating Brooke Austin

She has to be pretty confident with her game
Venus Williams • Urszula Radwanska • Lyudmyla Kichenok • Garbiñe Muguruza • Simona Halep • Agnieszka Radwanska • Kristina Mladenovic • Taylor Townsend • Ajla Tomljanovic • Caroline Wozniacki • Carla Suárez Navarro
TT Singles Current Ranking: #2 (CH Ranking: #1)
Titles(5): Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #25 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles(6): Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Inger67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #14
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

When players get points in fall and they beat only line-up #s 3,4,5 or 6 players in spring and do not win all of them, they should not have the high rankings we have seen the last few years. This seems to show too much point value given to fall over spring. Beating a bunch of middle and lower line-up players in spring should not keep your ranking up. Referring to top 40.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #15
country flag fantic

Quote:
no doubt all those pairs WILL be good... but heck, maybe I could get nationally ranked without having played too? Silly and unjustified until you actually win some matches. I would use the word 'unfair'
You do have a point, so I checked the archives and it's not the first time either(veterans pairing with freshmen).

For example;

2012 Pre Season ranking

15 Lauren Embree Danielle Collins Florida

2011 Pre Season Ranking

20 Kate Fuller Lauren Herring University of Georgia
31 McCall Jones Robin Anderson UCLA
39 Kristie Ahn Ellen Tsay Stanford University

Dunno the criteria
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles