Maja Matevzic Thread!!! - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #31
country flag maya

maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold
Maja recently gave an interview (there are also some new pictures) at the address
article & pictures of Maja in Ljubljana

"Translation" is below:

Maja Matevžič: There are no friends in top tennis

Ljubljana – Tennis is one of the most popular sports in the world. Thanks to Slovenian girls- Katarina Srebotnik, Tina Pisnik and Maja Matevžič, who are all placed in the 50 Slovenia is near the top of tennis. Maja Matevžič, at this time with 40. place the best ranked Slovenian player on the world tennis ranking, has preformed sucessfully at the third grand slam of the season, Wimbledon. After her return from England we took a walk through streets of Ljubljana with the friendly Maja.

You repeated your last years succes at Wimbledon. Are you satisfied with that?
For a player like me every win at the Grand slam tournament means a lot. On the other hand I missed the biggest oppurtunity for a succes at the Big four tournaments. I lost in close 3 sets against Argentinian Paola Suarez and in the next round I would play Italian Farina Elia that I have already beaten before..

You competed in doubles: female as well as mixed …
In both competitions my doubles partners got injured, with the difference that Nagyova played the match anyway. My mixed doubles partner got ijured a bit a day before the match and obviously took a day of rest because he had a men's doubles match the next day.

What dous it feel like to play at the grand slam tournament, especially at Wimbledon?
The feeling is phenomenal. Because of the tradition and because of the surface. Grass is my favourite surface and I regret there are only two tournaments on this surface. Besides there is an atmosphere these 14 days, in London and in all England people live for this spectacle. On the big tournaments there is a special atmosphere.

Why?
On the tournament with the less prize money the best players aren't there you don't even get the feeling you are playing on the highest level. In a sense you only play for points that later enable you to play Grand slams. Whan you get there you realise tennis is your job. You feel great amongst the best players in the world and your selfasteem rises.

How do you get along with the rest of the players?
Professional tennis is a cruel sport, there is practically no friendship, especially with the girls. It has happend that I have beaten an opponent that then wouldnt even say hello to me for days. It's different with guys. They go for a drink after a match lots of times.

The tennis top consists of Williams sisters and the Belgians, Justine Hennin and Kim Clijsters. Are those players even beatable?
The difference between the mentioned and the others is most of all self esteem. The Williams and Kim are in excellent phisicall and psyhologycal condition and Henin is technically the best. If Henin coud do it, I don't know why the rest wouldn't.

Maybe you?
I don't burden myself with who I beat, but it would be nice to beat those mentioned before. I have set a goal for myself at the end of the last year to reach top 20 in 2 years and everything is dedicated to this goal. Beating one of the best players in the world would help a lot for this goal.

Your tennis progress begun when you started to cooperate with Blaž Trupej …
Blaž became my coach by coincidence. I was introduced to him by a friend and we make arrangements for a few trainings.Because of the clear progress we decided to cooperate long term. He is an excellent coach. He helps me both technically and serves as a psychologist. He is a great man that finds a kind word even in defeats.

After a long time you are home again in Ljubljana
I am tired after last tournaments so a few days rest will do me good. I will be in Ljubljana for a couple of days then I'm going for a short holliday in Rome – without tennis equipment. After that I need to prepare for a fed cup meeting in Portorož and all the other summer tournaments including US Open.

In Portorož you will be playing the Russians that surprized everybody in Wimbledon …
After recent Russian succes many people are sceptical of our chances to advance further. We know eachother and are not afraid. All the Russian representatives play similiar tennis – flat balla. We are almost equal and I think that concentration and the »head« will decide. I have personally beaten Sharapova and Bovina before and the others are hard, but not impossible to beat. We must not forget we will be playing in front of a home crowd and we expect a fantastic support. We will do everything to keep the win at home.
maya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #32
country flag Cluich Cneutaig

Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice
Thanks for the translation Maya I'm afraid Slovenian is way beyond my linguistic abilities. Let's hope the girls win in Portoroz.
Cluich Cneutaig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #33
country flag Jodie

Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute
Tnx Maya!

Friendship is when people know all about you
but like you anyway
Jodie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #34
country flag maya

maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold
Slovenian tennis players were guests on a SLO TV sports show "končnica" this monday; some pictures of Maja (not good quality, I'm afraid):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg majam.JPG (10.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg majam1.JPG (10.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg majam2.JPG (11.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg majam3.JPG (10.6 KB, 25 views)
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #35

Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice Cluich Cneutaig is just really nice
Thanks for the pics Maya. I hope you might be able to get some from the FedCup coverage for those of us who don't receive RTV Slovenia.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #36
country flag maya

You can watch this show (and some other stuff on SLO TV) if you have realPlayer - the instructions are in the Slovenian fed cup thread).
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #37
country flag maya

Pre- fed cup Maja Matevžič article (my "translation"):

Temperature rising in Portorož
You go on a court to win
18.7.2003, Ekipa, Jurij Završnik

Maja Matevžič, a tennis player from Ljubljana came from the background. As a junior she was in the shadow of Katarina and Tina, but then she decided to seriousla dedicate herself to tennis and started working with a coach, psichologyst and trainer. She planns her matches carefuly and preferes to play on grass, especially at Wimbledon. This year she again reached third round and was wihh that our best player at the Sacred tennis event. But this time she will have to play on clay.

»I didn't have problems with adjusting to clay. After a week of practice at tis surface I feel good on it. We are professionals and have to be able to play on all surfaces

Wheater she will play or not is still not known; for the second place on the team she is competing with Tina, who has also hed a great season this year.

»I don't know if I will play. We will know on Friday

So does Maja expect to play and win?
»If I play I expect to win

Is it unimportant who stands at the other side of the net?
»Yes. You go to the court to win, so who's your opponent doesn't matter

The opponents are all familiar names and none is ranked lower then 20 in the world. Who would Maja like to play?
»Zvonareva looks like a best Russian on clay, but her game suits me. Last time we played I lost against her 5:7, 5:7, so I know what to expect and will be ready this time. I have already beaten Bovina and have never played Dementieva; I have lost to Myskina

With the events like fed cup lot of the things depend on home court, public, psichologycal factors. How is Maja mentaly prepared?
»Fine, ha, ha!«

Would Maja like to Play Dementieva, who's game has been more up and down?
»Yes, maybe. Dementieva is at the moment not in the best form, so that maybe she won't even play, eventhough she's the second Russian player. How will the Russian capitain select the players remains a question. A lot depends on that..«

So are you in front of another big success and Slovenia in semifinal?
»Semifinal is … reachable, ha, ha,« laughs Maja: »The roads from Portorož lead to semi finals

Oprimistycal, fiery, with heart and a lot of self esteem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg majam.JPG (17.6 KB, 31 views)
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #38
country flag Jodie

Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute Jodie has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Maya

A nice article

but like you anyway
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:44 AM   #39

Come on folks - it's time to get cheering again it's nearly time for the US Open main draw -

GD LUCK Maja against Corina Morariu in the first round - we know you can win !!!!

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:33 AM   #40
country flag Jodie

Good luck Maja!!

You can do it!

Daantje...

but like you anyway
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #41
country flag CJK

CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road
Too bad she is injured....I havent seen her for a long time.
CJK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #42
country flag Jodie

Indeed, she's hoping to come back in the olympics..

but like you anyway
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #43
country flag CJK

CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road CJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniëlleDaniela
Indeed, she's hoping to come back in the olympics..
Somone posted and said she is not coming to the Olympics though.
CJK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #44

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!SHE'S BACK...AT LAST....

GOOD LUCK against Saori OBATA in the first round Maja. We're all behind you.

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #45
country flag Jodie

Good luck Maja!!

but like you anyway