Which Serve Stance Do You Use? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you use a Pinpoint or Platform Serve Stance?

Pinpoint 7 33.33%
Platform 11 52.38%
What's a serve stance? 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #1
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute
Which Serve Stance Do You Use?

Pinpoint or Platform?

I'm currently using pinpoint but I'm gunna try to start using a platform stance to help with the inconsistency in my serve.

Quote:
Pinpoint Stance

The pinpoint serve stance is where your feet are at most only a couple of inches away from each other. Some tennis players even go into this stance with both of their feet basically touching. Tennis players like Gael Monfils as well as Andy Roddick commonly use this type of tennis serve stance. It must be noted that there are possible variations to the pinpoint stance. For instance, the hybrid pinpoint stance demands that players begin in a platform stance with feet apart a little bit wider. On the motion to the trophy position, they then slide their back foot up beside their front foot and into the pinpoint stance. Examples of the many players that use the hybrid pinpoint stance are Tomas Berdych and Andy Murray.
Serena's Hybrid Pinpoint Stance

Quote:
Platform Stance

The platform serve stance is characterized by feet that are approximately a shoulder’s width apart. Your feet’s angles vary, and the feet must remain the same width apart when you are serving. The only movement of the feet occurs when you jump up off the ground. Examples of tennis pros who used the platform stance are Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and the retired tennis player Pete Sampras.
Roger Federer's Platform Stance

http://www.improve-your-tennis.com/t...ve-stance.html

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Hampton. Bouchard. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.

Last edited by MMJSL : Feb 13th, 2014 at 03:20 AM.
MMJSL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #2
country flag semprelibera

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future
Re: Which Serve Stance Do You Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJSL View Post
Pinpoint or Platform?

I'm currently using pinpoint but I'm gunna try to start using a platform stance to help with the inconsistency in my serve.
How does switching from one to the other affect consistency on serve?
semprelibera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #3
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

Pinpoint has more moving parts and is harder to time. More room for mistakes.

Platform has more stability.

There's much more to it than that but those are my reasons for the switch.

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #4

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

Quote:
Pinpoint has more moving parts and is harder to time. More room for mistakes.

Platform has more stability.

There's much more to it than that but those are my reasons for the switch.
Pinpoint has only 1 more moving part than platform. And it's passive movement. THe basis of both serves is to rotate your hips and shift your weight onto the front foot.

If you have balance issues, rotate your front hip before the weight transfer. Completely resolves the issue. You need to do this regardless of whatever stance you use.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #5
country flag Sam L
blue swan

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know what this was until now. I use pinpoint apparently.

In the mood for love of Clio & Urania
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #6
country flag MMJSL

Good article on the topic.

http://www.improve-your-tennis.com/t...ve-stance.html

Quote:
As a tennis coach, I personally prefer players to adopt the platform stance because your balance will be better and therefore your serve will be more consistent. As for the pinpoint stance, you need to have good body control in order to contact the ball consistently. You can try both tennis serve stances and decide which one is more suitable for you.

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #7

I disagree that the pinpoint stance is harder to control your toss, or be stable. That being said, I hope your stance change works for you.

I use a hybrid pinpoint stance. Feet are apart to start but back foot moves forward during weight transfer.
I find I am more explosive forward and up this way than with platform, which I used a long time ago.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #8
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should explain what either are in your opening post, MJMSL
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #9
country flag Vefci Y
You are not likeable,but I like you

Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of

Pinpoint

Jankovic~Govortsova~Minella~Tsurenko~Giorgi~
Oprandi~Radwanska~Li~Mayr~Voegele
Vefci Y is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #10
country flag TennisIsSaved

TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all

which service stance does Serena use?
TennisIsSaved is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #11
country flag MMJSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisIsSaved View Post
which service stance does Serena use?
She uses a hybrid pinpoint.

Last edited by MMJSL : Feb 13th, 2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #12
country flag MMJSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch-king View Post
Maybe you should explain what either are in your opening post, MJMSL
Done

Old Feb 13th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #13
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I actually thought what she does is pinpoint. Seems like most people use hybrid pinpoint then.

I use hybrid pinpoint too although I've tried to develop a platform stance. It usually works for a little while then I forget and go back to what I'm used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
A Black man fighting for his people against institutionalized racism and its supporters, whenever they raised their ugly heads. He hated White people, period. After making his Hajj to Mecca, denouncing the teachings of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, becoming a Sunni Muslim and changing his name, he could no longer justify his blanket hatred of Whites, but still fought against racism no less fervently.
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 07:05 AM   #14
country flag TennisIsSaved

TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all TennisIsSaved is a name known to all

Quote:
thanks! now I'm wondering what stance Bouchard has. I'm guessing it's a hybrid pinpoint as well.
TennisIsSaved is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #15
country flag MMJSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch-king View Post
I actually thought what she does is pinpoint. Seems like most people use hybrid pinpoint then.

I use hybrid pinpoint too although I've tried to develop a platform stance. It usually works for a little while then I forget and go back to what I'm used to.
Yeah I thought I did pinpoint too. I actually technically use a hybrid pinpoint.