Tchaikovsky's sexuality 'downplayed' in biopic under Russia's anti-gay law - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #1
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Tchaikovsky's sexuality 'downplayed' in biopic under Russia's anti-gay law

Quote:
Tchaikovsky's sexuality 'downplayed' in biopic under Russia's anti-gay law

Makers of Tchaikovsky film reportedly self-censor their portrayal of the composer so as not to fall foul of Russia's new law

Russia's legislation banning "gay propaganda", which has already cast a cloud over the 2014 Sochi Olympics, has now reportedly prompted local filmmakers to self-censor their portrayal of the composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky, who is widely believed to have been gay.
A partly government-funded biopic of the composer of Swan Lake, The Nutcracker and the 1812 Overture will downplay his sexuality amid the homophobic political atmosphere in Russia, which passed a law in June banning the "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations" among minors.
The film's screenwriter, Yuri Arabov, denied Tchaikovsky had been gay and said his script had been revised to portray the composer as "a person without a family who has been stuck with the opinion that he supposedly loves men" and who suffers over these "rumours", he told the newspaper Izvestiya.
The film's producer, Sabina Yeremeyeva, said it would not run afoul of the law against gay propaganda.
No one has been fined under the federal law, although charges have been filed under similar regional bans that preceded it. However, the revision of the Tchaikovsky script plays into concerns that the law will prompt self-censorship. The vaguely worded legislation includes fines of up to £2,000 for the "imposition of information about non-traditional sexual relations" in the mass media.
Kirill Serebrennikov, a respected filmmaker and the artistic director of the Gogol Theatre in Moscow, announced he would film a Tchaikovsky biopic in August 2012 but told the cinema website KinoPoisk that he was having trouble finding funding due to officials' concerns about the composer's homosexuality. In July, however, the biopic became one of the films the ministry of culture decided to finance after an open competition.
Larisa Malyukova, a film columnist at the independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta, said that in a version of the script she saw last year, Tchaikovsky suffered over his love for a younger man. Arabov's comments, however, suggested that the portrayal of the composer as gay had been edited out of the script. The Tchaikovsky screenplay went through five revisions, and the final version "has absolutely no homosexuality, it's entirely not about that", Arabov said.
Serebrennikov declined to comment, but Yeremeyeva denied that the five revisions were related to concerns over Tchaikovsky's sexuality. The producer said the controversy over the film's treatment of the composer's orientation was "overblown and made up."
Malyukova suggested that Arabov's comments are a public reaction to the political situation and do not reflect the content of the film.
"You know what kind of ministry of culture we have," she said. "Everyone is being careful, and he's being careful, and rightly so."
The minister of culture, Vladimir Medinsky, said in an interview with the news site Lenta.ru in March that "sexual preferences … shouldn't be shown, shouldn't be discussed, not on television, not in parliament, not at a rally of 500,000 people".
The state plays a major role in financing Russian-made movies, a policy that has generated an abundance of patriotic historical films in recent years. The ministry of culture is funding 30m rubles (£580,000) of the Tchaikovsky film's total budget of 240m rubles, according to Yeremeyeva.
Alexander Poznansky, who has published several books on Tchaikovsky, said "denying that he was a practising homosexual is senseless" based on the writings of the composer and his brother.
"This whole situation [with the film] is another example of the current cultural atmosphere in Russia, which makes the country a laughing stock in the eyes of the educated western public," Poznansky said.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...vsky-sexuality

If you can't deal with the truth, don't touch it.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #2
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tchaikovsky's sexuality 'downplayed' in biopic under Russia's anti-gay law

Maybe Tchaikovsky didn't define himself by his sexuality, so it's not that bad.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #3
country flag McPie
The Saimai Wives

McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute

Russian never proud of what they are, or born to be, really, even Chaikovsgay

The McFanPage | The McTwit | The McThread 4 | The McList on IMDb | The McTumblr | The McStagram
Proud Older Stepsister of Natasha Nicole, TF Transgender Female Lesbian Duo
McPie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #4
country flag Mike.

Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Maybe Tchaikovsky didn't define himself by his sexuality, so it's not that bad.
He used to write letters signed with female version of his name
And also his brother was gay And Tchaikovsky was in love with his nephew
Mike. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

There is no significant historical evidence whatsoever that Chaikovski was gay. Even Gay Celibrity Wiki admits that:
http://gaycelebrities.wikia.com/wiki...ch_Tchaikovsky

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #6
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
There is no significant historical evidence whatsoever that Chaikovski was gay. Even Gay Celibrity Wiki admits that:
A culture that strongly inhibits/prohibits homosexual expression while simultaneously demanding that homosexuality be proven with explicit irrefutable evidence (particularly historical evidence, which has a natural ambiguity built into it) will find no homosexuals.

Which is different from saying homosexuals did not exist.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
A culture that strongly inhibits/prohibits homosexual expression while simultaneously demanding that homosexuality be proven with explicit irrefutable evidence (particularly historical evidence, which has a natural ambiguity built into it) will find no homosexuals.

Which is different from saying homosexuals did not exist.
That's not a point. Point is, he could have been a homosexual, or bisexual or not at all, we simply don't know, and whatever we are given as any kind of arguments is pure hearsay.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #8
moby

I'm making a point about epistemology, which is precisely the point.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I'm sure you've read through all of the scholarly literature dealing with Tchaikovsky's sexuality to come to that conclusion. Or am I mistaken?

*Also, Gay Celebrity Wiki doesn't admit that. It merely states that historians are divided. Some believe that there is significant historical evidence and some don't.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 12:51 PM   #10
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Putin admits Tchaikovsky was gay! (But uses weird logic to try to prove Russians aren't homophobic)

Quote:
Tchaikovsky was gay, which proves Russians not homophobic, Putin says

Russia’s pride in composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky, even though he was gay, is proof that the country does not discriminate against homosexuals, President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
Putin was apparently seeking to ease concerns that a new law banning “gay propaganda” will be used to clamp down on gay rights. The law has been condemned abroad and brought calls from gay rights groups for a boycott of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.

But opinion polls show it is backed by most Russians and the measure is part a conservative course charted by Putin to consolidate support following protests against his 13-year rule.
“Tchaikovsky was gay – although it’s true that we don’t love him because of that – but he was a great musician and we all love his music. So what?,” Putin said in an interview with Russian state Channel 1 television aired on Wednesday.
“There is no cause to make a mountain out of a molehill, nothing scary or terrible is happening here in our country.”
Asked whether he would meet members of the gay and lesbian community, Putin said: “I assure you that I work with these people, I sometimes award them with state prizes.”
Putin’s critics say the law is one of a string of repressive measures introduced by the former KGB spy in the first year of his third presidential term that clamp down on dissent, violate gay rights and restrain non-governmental organizations.
The criticism has overshadowed preparations for the Sochi Olympics – a priority for Putin, who wants it to show Russia as a modern state with top-notch infrastructure.
Amnesty International called on Wednesday for G20 leaders gathering in St. Petersburg this week to condem what it dubbed a “homophobic law”. The human rights watchdog said the law would allow for state-sponsored discrimination, promotes a climate of intolerance, and encouraged violence by vigilante groups.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle14108556/

Poor Pyotr, he can't rest in peace. But being dead over a century and still making headlines!

Let's just appreciate the music and the talent! Gay icon!

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 01:20 PM   #11
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tchaikovsky's homosexuality, as well as its importance to his life and music, has been known to the West for at least 75 years. Suppressed in Russia by the Soviets, it has only recently become widely known in post-Soviet Russia. Evidence that Tchaikovsky was gay is drawn from his letters and diaries, as well as the letters of his brother Modest, who was also gay. Some historians still consider evidence to this effect scant or non-existent. Dr. Peter Beckmann claims Tchaikovsky's homosexuality has been asserted “not without bias ... too often ... done by tone setters who had a stake in the outcome.” Most, however, including Rictor Norton and Aleksandr Poznansky, conclude some of Tchaikovsky's closest relationships were homosexual, citing Tchaikovsky's servant Aleksey Sofronov and his nephew, Vladimir “Bob” Davydov, as romantic interests. E.M. Forster, in fact, mentions Tchaikovsky and Davydov in his homosexual love story Maurice, written in 1913-14 but not published until 1971. Forster writes in Chapter 32 that “...Tchaikovsky had fallen in love with his own nephew, and dedicated his masterpiece [Symphonie pathetique] to him.”

More controversial is how comfortable Tchaikovsky might have been with his sexual nature. Poznansky surmises that the composer “eventually came to see his sexual peculiarities as an insurmountable and even natural part of his personality ... without experiencing any serious psychological damage.” Richard Taruskin writes in the New Grove Dictionary of Opera, “Professional success brought with it entree to aristocratic circles where Tchaikovsky's homosexuality was more readily tolerated; this, plus a loving and protective family (including a worshipping younger brother, Modest, who, sharing his sexual orientation, became his literary collaborator and personal confidant, later his biographer), seems to have helped the composer towards self-acceptance in his later years.”

On the other hand, the British musicologist and scholar Henry Zajaczkowski's research “along psychoanalytical lines” points instead to “a severe unconscious inhibition by the composer of his sexual feelings”:

“One consequence of it may be sexual overindulgence as a kind of false solution: the individual thereby persuades himself that he does accept his sexual impulses. Complementing this and, also, as a psychological defense mechanism, would be precisely the idolization by Tchaikovsky of many of the young men of his circle [the self-styled ‘Fourth Suite’], to which Poznansky himself draws attention. If the composer's response to possible sexual objects was either to use and discard them or to idolize them, it shows that he was unable to form an integrated, secure relationship with another man. That, surely, was [Tchaikovsky's] tragedy.”

Russian musicologist Aleksandra Orlova also asserts that Tchaikovsky’s letters and diary entries over the years confirm that Tchaikovsky never reconciled himself with his sexuality. All he could do was to resign himself “to the impossibility of reforming himself.” Boris Nitkin, one of the few Tchaikovsky biographers, who was also an “approved” figure at the Tchaikovsky Museum at Klin, agrees with Orlova's view. So does writer Yury Nagibin, who wrote a novella based on the composer's relationship with Nadezhda von Meck and the screenplay for the 1969 Mosfilm motion picture based on Tchaikovsky's life.

Regardless of how, when or whether Tchaikovsky accepted his personal fate, music became an imperative and increasingly intense psychical outlet for him. As biographer Edward Garden suggests, “All the frustrations of his endemic homosexuality and bottled-up emotions, further engendered rather than released by the fiasco of his marriage, are let loose in [the Fourth Symphony] – the first and perhaps least important in a line of masterpieces or near-masterpieces in this vein which included the Manfred Symphony and the last two [numbered] symphonies, the symphonic ballad The Voyevoda and [the opera] The Queen of Spades."

Tchaikovsky's marriage began as a classic case of life imitating art. One of his conservatory students, Antonina Milyukova, began writing him passionate letters as he worked on the “Letter Scene” in his opera Evgeny Onegin – a time, ironically, that he had made up his mind to “marry whoever will have me.” He hastily married Antonina on July 18, 1877. Within days, while still on their honeymoon, he deeply regretted his decision. Two weeks after the wedding the composer supposedly attempted suicide by throwing himself into the freezing Moscow River. Once recovered from the effects, he fled to St. Petersburg; his mind verging on a nervous breakdown.

Tchaikovsky's marital debacle forced him to face the truth concerning his sexuality. He wrote to his brother Anatoly that there was “nothing more futile than wanting to be anything other than what I am by nature.”

Moreover, the mental and emotional strain the composer suffered from his abortive marriage may have enhanced rather than endangered his creativity. Despite some interruptions, the six months between Tchaikovsky's engagement to Antonina and his “rest cure” in Clarens, Switzerland, following his marriage saw him complete two of his finest works, the Fourth Symphony and the opera Eugene Onegin.

http://russiapedia.rt.com/prominent-...r-tchaikovsky/

Also, if Putin says Tchaikovsky was gay it must be true.Remember : Vlad is always right
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM   #12
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LOL you display a rather stunning ignorance of anything of Tchaikovsky's life. He regularly wrote pained letters about his homosexuality to his brother (who was else gay); he would write to his brother about his encounters with men, and usually in guilty terms. He struggled HUGELY with his homoerotic tendencies and never fully was able to reconcile them, which is why you'll never get some grand statement of his homosexuality anywhere in his letters or life. A word for "homosexual" didn't even exist at that time, how would he admit to being one. You can only go on what he wrote about his sexual exploits and guilt, which clearly show he was a man struggling with his homosexuality. You'll be hard pressed to find a modern music scholar who denies Tchaikovsky had strong homosexual impulses. The scholars who WOULD deny it are the ones in decades past when it would kill them to admit one of their heroes was gay. The fact that the Soviets stopped some of Tchaikovsky's more intimate and explicit letters from being published should tell you something.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
country flag pla

pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute

Gay or not, it's stupid to use his name in the fight for freedom and acceptance of the LGBT community in Russia, or even the whole Eastern Europe (this problem is common through the whole ex so called Eastern Bloc). And before the gay community here jumps on me, I will explain why.

First, don't be guys/girls SO sure that behind the Iron curtain we didn't know about Tchaikosvky's letters and relationships with other males.

Second, Tchaikovsky didn't embrace publicly his sexuality in order to be used as some kind of example.

Third, if people are generally against a community, using a national "hero" or let's say a cultural icon, will only have the opposite effect, and this is not the goal, right? Russians (and ex-commy bloc) who are not yet accepting the LGBT community as it is, need a much more different attitude in order to slowly but surely change the public' opinion. So I hope the LGBT community will be wise and clever, and will find a better way.
pla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:36 AM   #14
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Exactly. PIT never advertised his own sexuality, his sexual orientation is a matter of curiosity for those interested in private life of others - who in their turn - had shown every bit of an interest in keeping their private life private. Their sexual orientation is none of anyone's business then. It's when people start to advertise it for whatever reason, that's when it starts to get attention.

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #15
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Exactly. PIT never advertised his own sexuality, his sexual orientation is a matter of curiosity for those interested in private life of others - who in their turn - had shown every bit of an interest in keeping their private life private. Their sexual orientation is none of anyone's business then. It's when people start to advertise it for whatever reason, that's when it starts to get attention.
Quite some backpedal into "it's nobody's business" after trying to pass off the wildly inaccurate idea that there's no proof Tchaikovsky was gay to begin with.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote