Gunman enters Atlanta area elementary school with Ak-47 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Gunman enters Atlanta area elementary school with Ak-47

Chief: Suspect at McNair elementary school had multiple guns

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — Police detained a gunman who they say walked into a DeKalb County elementary school on Tuesday armed with multiple guns.
The suspect may have slipped in behind an employee at Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy before confronting office staff about 1 p.m., officials said.

DeKalb County Police Chief Cedric Alexander said the 19-year-old suspect fired on officers as they arrived and officers returned fire.

“When we received the call and we engaged, he started to fire from inside the school at our officers. He had one or two of the staff members inside the main office. He was holding them captive,” Alexander said.

Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne confirmed that the suspect was peacefully apprehended by DeKalb County sheriff's deputies and U.S. Marshals inside the school “without incident, without resistance.”

Winne spoke to the arresting deputies. “When I arrived at the scene I saw the male subject standing outside, shooting a couple of rounds off,” one of deputies said. No injuries were reported.

News Chopper 2 showed video of children running from the school and huddling near a fence in a field behind the building.

Alexander said that officers feared the man had explosives in the car or the building. Alexander also said the alleged gunman had multiple guns, including an AK-47.

Alexander told Channel 2’s Ryan Young firefighters cut a hole in a nearby residence so children could evacuate the school grounds through the back of that home.

“We could not bring the children around to the front of the school because we didn’t know if explosives were in the vehicle,” Alexander said. “Now, this deviates from our typical plan, but this was a very unusual situation, where we had to get the kids away from any possible explosives.”

One of the women held captive in the school office called Channel 2 Action News to report that there was a shooter in the school. She told a Channel 2 assignment desk editor that the gunman asked her to call WSB-TV and police.

"All the time of doing this I never experienced anything like this," LeCroy said. "It didn't take long to know that this was serious."
The McNair elementary office worker told LeCroy that the gunman wanted Channel 2 Action News to "start filming as police die."
The gunman then told the woman that he wanted "police to back up." Shots could be heard over the call.
Eventually the woman told LeCroy "they got him."

Parents were asked to go to the Walmart near Gresham Road and Interstate 20 to get their children. Hundreds of McNair elementary school parents flooded the parking lot to be reunited with the students, who were bused from the school. Parents were required to have a photo ID to pick up their child.

"When I first heard about the incident I had to rush to leave work, about an hour away to the school to see if everything is all right. When I got here they'd caught the guy and that's a good thing. Man I just heard all the kids are fine. Just good to have your little one back with you," parent Antoine Johnson said.

Parents at Walmart spoke to Channel 2's Lori Geary about their fears for their childrens' safety.

“My daughter called me on the telephone while I was at home and she said ‘Mom, are you listening to the news? There’s something going on at Nadia’s school. And so, she was on her way to Walmart and I came behind her,” Anna, the grandmother told Geary.

Nadia’s mother, Kimberly, said she now fears sending her little girl to school.

“It makes me want to home school my daughter,” Kimberly said.

Channel 2’s Erica Byfield spoke to woman who lives down the street from the school.

The neighbor, who did not want to give her name, said she was in her kitchen when her dog started barking frantically. After hearing about five shots, she was compelled to run outside and check her surroundings, knowing a school was nearby.

“At first, I heard some little small shots. Then, I heard ‘bang, bang, bang!’ Then, I heard, ‘doom, doom, doom shots, so I knew something was wrong,” she told Byfield.

The neighbor said she hopes the gunman pays for what he’s done.

“I hope they get him and prosecute him for what he’s done, because these are innocent kids,” she said.

Students will have school on Wednesday, but classes will be held at McNair High School. The students will maintain the same bus schedule.

Advertisement

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #2
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gunman enters Atlanta area elementary school with Ak-47

Awful!

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Not again.
Hope no one is hurt.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 01:55 AM   #4
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

I woudn't want to be one of those kids if the bus driver had to suddenly slam on the brakes.
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 01:57 AM   #5
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Merica

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 02:14 AM   #6
country flag goOudinUSA
USA 2:1 Ghana

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute

This happened very close to where I live! You never think that it could happen in your town, but this shows it is very possible.
Luckily no one was injured and that the gunman is in custody.

Bally

Tim Howard
goOudinUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 10:56 PM   #7
country flag Thiudans

Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute

Surely this kind of thing now seems like some kind of monotonous, unfunny joke to Americans...? Every (other) day you're getting reports of three-yeard-olds being killed etc. People, I imagine, must be desensitised to these events now, because there's no way that, with evidence staring you in the face that seems to say "something is wrong with your gun policy", that the situation should persist.

I'm never proven wrong or short for evidence when I want to say that "Christians" (most Republicans who staunchly support gun rights (and racism)) are among the most evil people in the world.
Thiudans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:26 AM   #8
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness none of those kids was harmed.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:52 AM   #9
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranfurly View Post

I woudn't want to be one of those kids if the bus driver had to suddenly slam on the brakes.
Obviously the bus isn't moving.
____

School bookkeeper talked gunman down in Atlanta school shooting

By David Ferguson
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:28 EDT

A courageous school employee averted disaster on Tuesday by calmly talking down a man armed with an assault rifle who said that he has going to die and take as many others as possible with him. According to ABC News, Antoinette Tuff, the bookkeeper at the Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Center, convinced 20-year-old gunman Michael Brandon Hill to empty his pockets and backpack of ammunition and lie down on the floor so that police could take him into custody without incident.

Tuff said to ABC, however, that she isn’t a hero.

“I give it all to God,” she said. “I’m not the hero. I was terrified.”

On Tuesday afternoon, Hill entered the school armed with an AK-47 assault rifle and barricaded himself into the front office. He fired at police gathering outside and ordered school personnel to alert media outlets.

“He said he was going to end his life and take all the cops and everybody with him…He had a look on him that he was willing to kill and matter of fact he said it,” Tuff told ABC. “He said he didn’t have any reason to live and that he knew he was going to die.”

He reportedly also apologized for what he was about to do.

Tuff tried to calm the suspect down by asking his name and trying to speak to him as a person. She explained that she too has had struggles in life, including the dissolution of her 33-year marriage after she and her husband tried to open a business together.

“I told him, ‘OK, we all have situations in our lives. I went through a tragedy myself,’” she told ABC. “It was going to be OK. If I could recover, he could too.”

It was after that she convinced him to disarm and surrender.

“I told the police he was giving himself up. I just talked him through it,” she said.

Hill was arrested and charged with making terroristic threats. The school’s 800 students were evacuated and none were injured.

Watch an interview with Antoinette Tuff, embedded below via the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

[The Raw Story]

Brave woman and perfect outcome.

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:59 PM   #10
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Since everyone else loves to make a racial case out of everything, I'm going to.

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/the_...tuffs_courage/

Tuff is clearly black. Hill is white.

She risked her life to save not only the lives of the children, but of the very man who represented a threat to her and those kids. A white dude.

Doesn't make her actions any more or less brave, or more or less right, or more or less awesome. But it does make some posters around here look like dickheads.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM   #11
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Obviously the bus isn't moving.
Well, obviously.
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 12:18 AM   #12
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Since everyone else loves to make a racial case out of everything, I'm going to.

She risked her life to save not only the lives of the children, but of the very man who represented a threat to her and those kids. A white dude.

Doesn't make her actions any more or less brave, or more or less right, or more or less awesome. But it does make some posters around here look like dickheads.
I am glad you point this out. Great post.
This is all over the news, I am surprised it has very little play here.
I think most people thought the gunman was black, and and some posters were getting ready to post stats of black on black crimes; then bringing up Chicago crime rate in an indirect attack on President Obama as a balck man.

This woman pulled off the kind of persuation police department, all over the country, with all their training, have failed and unwilling to do.
So eager are they to threaten violence and escalate the situation, they often give lip service to skills they train for.

And NO, everybody having gun does not resolve the issue.

BTW, the 911 operator was also black.

She is also a true Christian, not like Mike Huckabee and Sean Hannity of FOXnews; whose instinct is always to shoot first to "elimniat" the thread"

PS>>>>
And those eye glasses, she looks so cool with them.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:28 AM   #13
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

If he had gone in there and shot up those black children, the race war they've been craving would have finally happened.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:49 AM   #14
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post

Oh, is that why we've not heard from Williamsser?
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranfurly View Post
Well, obviously.
Yeah, exactly, so what was the point of your post?

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:26 PM   #15
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Hill is white, but I have yet to see any evidence his crime was racially motivated. He is apparently a deeply disturbed individual and the school looks to have been a target of opportunity, rather than singled out because it has a large number of black students.

My point was to emphasize Tuff's colorblindness and courage.

Of course, more information about Hill's motives could emerge as the investigation continues.