US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #46
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
Yuri will 100% be involved. Whether he is there in person for the matches or not, he will be involved. One would have to hope anyway. I just don't even understand the drama. This year has been amazing in terms of results apart from Wimbledon so quite frankly I am amazed at the hysteria.
You don't understand the hysteria when she's won 1 match in nearly 3 months and has played two of her worst matches in years back to back? This forum often overreacts, but I don't think is an occasion where it's fair to say that.

The main thing is, Maria relies on having her focus at 100% for her to do well. Therefore, even IF she started hitting the ball amazingly in practice over the next couple of weeks (which itself is a huge "if"), then I STILL wouldn't fancy her chances, with all this turmoil and instability behind the scenes probably meaning she wouldn't be mentally 100% at crunch time.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #47
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I hope she doesn't get Yuri. I've always been sceptical of just how much use he actually was (he always had other hitting partners or coaches doing most of the technical coaching anyway, like Joyce or Lansdorp). Trying to get Hogstedt back for the time being is the way to go imo.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #48
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Also, I hope she doesn't get Yuri. I've always been sceptical of just how much use he actually was (he always had other hitting partners or coaches doing most of the technical coaching anyway, like Joyce or Lansdorp). Trying to get Hogstedt back for the time being is the way to go imo.
I think he just brought a lot of intensity to her game and mental stability. He never professed to knowing the technical nuances and always admitted to it, that's why he brought other experts in. Tbh I think she would listen to Yuri saying she really needs to change something than a different coach.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #49
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't understand the hysteria when she's won 1 match in nearly 3 months and has played two of her worst matches in years back to back? This forum often overreacts, but I don't think is an occasion where it's fair to say that.

The main thing is, Maria relies on having her focus at 100% for her to do well. Therefore, even IF she started hitting the ball amazingly in practice over the next couple of weeks (which itself is a huge "if"), then I STILL wouldn't fancy her chances, with all this turmoil and instability behind the scenes probably meaning she wouldn't be mentally 100% at crunch time.
Not really, no. I get the Wimbledon match and hysteria. Yeah that was a shocker. But we haven't seen a match like that from her in years. This season has been fantastic up until that point. Tbh, I don't read much into the Sloane match at all. In excess of 60 UEs and I largely attribute it to lack of match-play and possible lack of solidity in coaching structure. Yeah she lost her last two matches in poor fashion...but the problem is she hasn't played tournaments.

I don't quite understand why people think she's done and a large cohort suddenly think she's forgotten how to play tennis The Wimbledon match was poor but I sure as hell could tell why she lost that match by watching how tentative she was on an unstable surface against an inspired opponent. We then had no match-play for several months, a coaching change, and a return against an opponent (who is far from a scrub) that she has played 3 times already this season. It was never going to be an easy match. If you get 3 bites at the cherry in one season, you are bound to improve and learn exponentially. In saying that, >60 UEs is a blaring indicator of lack of match practice and she went for too much in the moment.

Had she have been fit enough to play a conventional schedule after Wimbledon we wouldn't be seeing such an overreaction in terms of performance. The coaching arrangement and mishaps have just exponentially magnified the entire situation which is unfortunate.

And I personally think that focus is the one thing you don't have to dispute in terms of her USO campaign. She has beaten the lack of match practice issue in the past so hopefully she can pull something together in time for the USO. I do think it was the right decision not to play New Haven...if she did play New Haven she could have withdrawn in the QF or something but I am not a fan of that from players anyway.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #50
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You do know how heavily involved he has been since his departure from the coaching box right? Several times Maria has reiterated that she speaks to him daily before and after matches and he gives his two cents worth
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #51
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

I'm not sure I even really buy that Yuri was responsible for her pre-surgery "fearless" attitude tbh. I mean, what about the reports that he always said she couldn't beat Serena? I think I have a hazy memory of him being quoted as saying just before the US Open in '06 that he didn't believe Maria could beat Justine as well (though I'm not 100% on that). Not to mention when he walked out in disgust towards the end of her match against Radwanska at the USO in '07. That doesn't really sound like someone who was instilling a fearless, never-say-die attitude in her
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #52
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Quote:
I'm not sure I even really buy that Yuri was responsible for her pre-surgery "fearless" attitude tbh. I mean, what about the reports that he always said she couldn't beat Serena? I think I have a hazy memory of him being quoted as saying just before the US Open in '06 that he didn't believe Maria could beat Justine as well (though I'm not 100% on that). Not to mention when he walked out in disgust towards the end of her match against Radwanska at the USO in '07. That doesn't really sound like someone who was instilling a fearless, never-say-die attitude in her
Tbf anyone would have walked out in that Radwanska match. I rate it higher in atrociousness than Oudin. Especially with Radwanska returning at the service line. But in saying that, who else instilled that attitude? She had it from the moment she burst onto the scene. It sure as hell wasn't Michael Joyce. So Bollettieri? The throat slitting incident? I have always thought of Yuri as an incredibly fired up person so who knows I guess I just think it's stability she needs atm, not radical change, personally.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #53
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Well, anyway, I just hope she gets a SUPER easy 1st round (i.e. no Venus, Pennetta, Zheng, Petkovic or someone). Maybe if she can just win a first match then she might be able to get something rolling and avoid a total catastrophe. Although a QF is the absolute maximum I'm expecting at this point.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #54
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

I actually love when people write Masha off because she becomes the dark horse. Everyone shits on Roger, considering his year so far, but he's always a contender. People need to learn to not over-dramatise every single thing. Sure if she goes on a run of first round losses until the end of the year then yeah I'd start to get freaked out, but tbh she was playing Stephens, a top 20 player with great retrieval skills in her first match after a 6 week layoff. Vika played King and barely scraped through and Rena lost a set to Bouchard of all people. She's just having a bad patch as every player does. Before Wimbledon she hadn't lost to a player not named Serena (bar Na - which was a definite slam opportunity wasted) but she is far from done in her career. And if you think that, go and join the rabble in GM
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #55
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Also I love how Tracy's trying to get Brad Gilbert to coach Masha on twitter
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #56
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest area that needs work in is simply being ready to step on a court. It was ABUNDANTLY clear that she was not ready the other day. And THAT is the basic, 1st responsibility of any coach in any sport - have your team/player ready to compete. Coaching some one for a month is plenty of time to achieve that.

Whoever Maria gets, it needs to be someone who knows how to get her ready to compete - be it Yuri, Joyce (I know I know, never him), Hog' whoever.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #57
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

I have not been here since yesterday, and now another bombshell...what is going on to her? Now this is really out of her character, she has always been rational and unexcitable out of tennis. But now some leapfrog and kidding from her. We can wipe out the rest of her season for sure and QFs will be the stage we are really glad...
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #58
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Congrats Martha, now our expectations for USO have never been lower. Honestly, not even in her shittiest shit years am I so certain that she won't perform well (Even 2009/2010 I was convinced she'd go deep) which means she'll probably go all the way to the tile
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #59
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Queenpova trolling about the withdrawal.

I am too hungover for all these BOMBSHELLS never mind the fake ones.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #60
country flag Cecig

Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of

She withdraw or not. I saw a Twitter, please tell me she is playing

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote