US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5 - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:57 AM   #181
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5

Right shoulder problems. A damn shame. How much more shoulder pain can she put up with? Not much more I would think. I wonder if Pova is thinking that she has accomplished alot and why put up with the pain and bad serving in big matches? I couldn't blame her if she did. Maria has already made the best comeback from serving shoulder surgery in tennis history. It's clear her right shoulder will always be a problem. How much more can she put up with?

I still expect her to be at the U.S. Open to push her brand and root on her boy toy. But her career is in jeopardy due to her never healthy right shoulder. No doubt about it.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:00 AM   #182
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, well atleast that's the worst case scenario gone. For now.

I still have a lot of questions in my mind though. If this is something she's had for months now (during which time she's had lots of rest and rehab), is it really going to heal without surgery? And if she does have to have surgery, is she really willing to go through that whole arduous process again? I really don't know.

(I know I'm probably coming across annoyingly pessimistic, I'm just wanting to prepare myself.)
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:17 AM   #183
country flag TheShowMustGoOn
Erm...

TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice

That doesn't sound so bad, but honestly being a Rafa fan and hearing he's coming back then he's pulling out of tournaments constantly makes me still worry, I hope she's back soon but I don't want her to rush the shoulder, just take as much time as it needs.

'08 - '12 - '04 - '06

TheShowMustGoOn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:30 AM   #184
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

This bitch

Vartan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:34 AM   #185
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we finally get the final bombshell from Maria in an increasingly depressing 2013. What a bizarre 2 months. It's just so much to digest.....

Obviously, this is career-threatening, given what she's already had to deal with concerning her shoulder. It really has been the scariest "what-if" scenario of the past 4 years. "What if her shoulder acts up again???" Shoulder exercises were still a big part of her daily routine, so I think it was apparent that it was still a fragile area and always would be kind of a ticking time bomb. I'm sure Maria knew that and it may have been a big reason why her serve was still so erratic at times. Her shoulder issues probably didn't allow her to experiment too much with different mechanics that could've helped.

I think this news should cause us to re-evaluate her accomplishments over these past 4 years. I believe now that the shoulder was never 100% after the surgery and maybe not even close to 100%. I think that was the big factor in why her serve and her overall game was so slow in coming around between 2009-2012. Maria was in a tough spot of trying to find a balance between playing her aggressive style of tennis that was her identity and yet still not putting too much stress on her shoulder. It must have been a really tough constant struggle for her. But she poured everything she had into clawing her way to the top again, even after being saddled with this handicap. And she got to number one again. And she won another major. And she completed the career slam.

I don't want to make this sound like a eulogy, but I think we can look at these past 4 years with more admiration and pride because despite her always putting on a brave, positive face and all her struggles, I think there was always a degree of uneasiness and discomfort with that shoulder. But she still won so much with it and she had that amazing 2012. Maria has shown to be a real warrior.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:37 AM   #186
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Well, we finally get the final bombshell from Maria in an increasingly depressing 2013. What a bizarre 2 months. It's just so much to digest.....

Obviously, this is career-threatening, given what she's already had to deal with concerning her shoulder. It really has been the scariest "what-if" scenario of the past 4 years. "What if her shoulder acts up again???" Shoulder exercises were still a big part of her daily routine, so I think it was apparent that it was still a fragile area and always would be kind of a ticking time bomb. I'm sure Maria knew that and it may have been a big reason why her serve was still so erratic at times. Her shoulder issues probably didn't allow her to experiment too much with different mechanics that could've helped.

I think this news should cause us to re-evaluate her accomplishments over these past 4 years. I believe now that the shoulder was never 100% after the surgery and maybe not even close to 100%. I think that was the big factor in why her serve and her overall game was so slow in coming around between 2009-2012. Maria was in a tough spot of trying to find a balance between playing her aggressive style of tennis that was her identity and yet still not putting too much stress on her shoulder. It must have been a really tough constant struggle for her. But she poured everything she had into clawing her way to the top again, even after being saddled with this handicap. And she got to number one again. And she won another major. And she completed the career slam.

I don't want to make this sound like a eulogy, but I think we can look at these past 4 years with more admiration and pride because despite her always putting on a brave, positive face and all her struggles, I think there was always a degree of uneasiness and discomfort with that shoulder. But she still won so much with it and she had that amazing 2012. Maria has shown to be a real warrior.

Great post! Couldn't agree more with what you said. Her comeback really has been spectacular.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:39 AM   #187
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Shit, I was doing so well to hold off tears until reading this...
But you're 100% right. This has really put things into perspective. Whatever happens next, her legacy is secured.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:46 AM   #188
country flag Cecig

Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of

Is sure she won't play for the rest of the year. In her official web site is a 2013 summary in the calendar section and no next tournament...

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:48 AM   #189
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Hmm, well atleast that's the worst case scenario gone. For now.

I still have a lot of questions in my mind though. If this is something she's had for months now (during which time she's had lots of rest and rehab), is it really going to heal without surgery? And if she does have to have surgery, is she really willing to go through that whole arduous process again? I really don't know.

(I know I'm probably coming across annoyingly pessimistic, I'm just wanting to prepare myself.)
Those are questions that entered my mind as well. Remember, all that was mentioned after Wimbledon was only about her hip. Nothing else. You'd think Maria, more than anyone else, given her history, would recognize and understand the seriousness of any new shoulder pain and really attack the problem at the first sign. She talked candidly about how her early shoulder problems were misdiagnosed and she went on playing with the pain and ended up making it worse. So if she was experiencing pain way back before the French, why did she go on playing as if nothing was wrong? Does she think her tennis responsibilities come before her health? Didn't she learn anything from 2007 about playing in pain, especially when that pain is in the same area?

And why the "everything is great" facade? The training pictures, playing the French and Wimbledon, talking about how excited she was about working with Connors, predicting many wins in New York......all the while being in discomfort and taking shots. I just don't get that. Was she feeling pressure from her sponsors to just keep up the appearances and play tournaments to stay visible?

I just don't understand why Maria would EVER jeopardize her health after what she went through before. So many questions still......
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:57 AM   #190
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

This explains so much...she came out firing at the beginning of the year (even with the AO SF flop) and then slowly her game just looked more and more off. So similar to 08, but I believe/hope that this isn't as threatening as 08
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:33 AM   #191
country flag Sasja

Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute

I just read it on the USO website

Shoulder again Don't know what to say...
Maria

BTW such lovely, classy posts in GM about Maria's WD

DEL POTRO TSONGA MONFILS
LISICKI FLIPKENS MATTEK-SANDS ARVIDSSON KRAJICEK REZAI
Sasja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:42 AM   #192
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

2012 was such a great year, and now we get this. Get well soon Maria ...
claypova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:59 AM   #193
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

So bizarre. I still can't figure out why she didn't do anything (apart from a week of rehabilitation) if her shoulder was bothering her since FO reportedly She should have known better after that 07-08 shoulder ordeal.

Quote:

Whyyyyyy.

Someone hold me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
Can't grab a Slam, grab cash then
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:59 AM   #194
country flag jacobruiz
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute

I just got home and saw the latest setback/news.

Poor Maria.

AT LONG LAST!!!! The DEMOCRATS BACK IN POWER!!!
OH, SAY DOES THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER YET WAVE........ YES!!! YES!!!! YEESSSS!!!!! Don't waver, Mr. President - the people voted for you AND your agenda!!
Missouri State Fair - yet another reason to ban rodeos
jacobruiz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 06:11 AM   #195
Effy
God gave us Rock'n'Roll

Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute

Effy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote