Ladies of the Court - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:28 AM   #16
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
My only hit with a professional player indirectly involved Hana. I had a ground pass at the AO one year. Given that I really hate crowd, i went to one of the back back back courts, and I watched 2 girls which I thought were juniors. One of the girls was really pretty (maybe I was hypnotised by her hoop earrings ). Anyway, I had been watching them for about 15 minutes (I was the only one taking any interest). One of them needed to go to the bathroom. The other one looked at me with a smile, and said "Hi, I'm Angelica (Gavaldon). Do you wanna hit?" I thought why not. She was really nice, and hit down the middle of the court with me for about 5 mins until her partner returned.

That year, she beat Hana to get to the quarters of the AO! I was soo torn as to who to root for......
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:33 AM   #17
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
,Rollo, I will copy excerpts of the book so at least you get to read some of it.

I didn't want to mention the husband fiasco! Rollo, it that isn't the biggest sham since Tom/Nicole/ Penelope , I don't know what is......
Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #18
BCP

BTW Louloubelle, who were your favs from that era?
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:11 AM   #19
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, it's nice to know some other people in this board have seen some tennis from before the current era! I remember all those players. I never liked Lisa Bonder because everytime she was on tv she was whining about something. Martina was by far my favourite of the mid '80s contigent but I also found myself rooting for Bettina Bunge ( very pretty and talented ) as well as Sylvia Hanika. I really disliked Kathy Jordan but she was so volatile it made her matches fun. Despite her frying pan grip forehand I always dreaded Martina meeting Kathy early on in a tournament because there was always the danger that Kathy could be trouble. Kathy didn't seem to have a warm friendship with either Martina or Chris. Anyone know more on that? As for Hana I always hoped that she would knock Chris out of the tournament so that Martina could avoid Chris.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:21 AM   #20
country flag Kelly

Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of Kelly has much to be proud of
i've read ladies of the court and thought it was ok. but i urge u all to read venus envy....one word..BRILLIANT!!
Kelly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:50 AM   #21
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
I never saw Lisa Bonder MirjanaLfan,was she a Chrissie clone? As a blonde Lisa was very popular in Japan, where she even did commercials.

Please let us in on ANY part of hana's book ball change pls, I'm sure it will be intersting. Thanks in advance

I didn't relalize KJ(Kathy Jordan) didn't get along with Evert and Navratilova, though I can make some guesses as to why. For one, there has always been a school of thought in tennis that to be the best you have to separate yourself from the other women. The idea is you won't want to crush a friend. Helen Wills was like this, Steffi had it a bit, and Venus Williams seems to have this type of personality. KJ may have been cocky enough to really think she take on Chrissie and Martina. Mind games may have been part of her strategy.

Kathy and Anne Smith were a big doubles team-maybe some resentment there when Martina and Shriver started winning most of the slams.

Billie Jean King once siad Kathy had the guts and mind of a champion, but lacked the shots and weapons off the ground.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 04:12 AM   #22
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo, Lisa Bonder was a Chrissie clone. She was pretty and didn't seem to keen to physically run herself into the ground or do anything that involved breaking a sweat really. She was a consistent groundie but with little real power and without Chris's relentless accuracy and while she did rank quite well she was one of the long line of US Chris clones to not really come through as predicted, step forward Susan Sloane, Kimberley Kessaris, Stephanie Rehe, Audra Keller etc.
Does anyone remember Kathy Horvath who ended Martina's calendar year grand slam hopes and big winning streak? She turned out to be a disappointment in the end too.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Mirjana LOL at Lisa being not too keen to break a sweat.
Almost reminds me of Evet saying once(early in her career) that NO point was worth falling down for.
I used to get Kathy Horvath mixed up with another Kathy who never quite made it- Kathy Rinaldi. SOOO dissapointing for Kathy H. to beat Martina at the 1983 French just to lose the next match.
Martina's only defeat in all of 1983!

Bunge was pretty, and both she and Hanika had wicked topspin off the backhand at times. My favorite Hanika match was when she upset Martina to win the Masters in New York in 1982. Sylvia just went on a tear and took the match from Martina. I wonder what she's up to now.
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:21 AM   #24
country flag GoSandrine

GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future
Does either book make mention of Sylvia Hanika???

I got the impression Sylvia wasn't really well liked as I believe she pretty much kept to herself in her early years.

I loved Sylvia's gameand she quickly became a favorite of mine in the very early eighties.

Anyone know???
GoSandrine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:25 AM   #25
BCP

Hi Mirjana Fan. You are right, Lisa Bonder was a bit of a whiner, and she was a reasonably good baseliner who broke into the top 10 for a while She was extemely popular in japan. She was one of a precession of pretty Chris clones who came from the States and Canada, and breifly hit the top 10. I kinda liked her (though not as much as Rinaldi). I remeber when Mauela Maleeva had her first win over Chris on clay at the Italian open. I thought, "My god, Europe is breeding them now! "

It is funny that the players that bothered Chris ver really bothered Martina and visa versa. Martina had more problems with Hana than Chris did, as well as Pam, Wendy, Sylvia Hanika, etc. Chris recorded a loss to Bassett (I think), Bonder (maybe in an exhibition), and Maleeva several times. I think that they both had problems with Kathy Jordan. I almost cried when Kathy beat Chris at Wimbeldon in the third round. Such a fantastically consistent and long record of semis or better at Slams... broken!in the 3rd round! by Kathy Jordan!

BTW on Aust TV this morning, they showed "Wimbeldon: coming of age" . Chris has aged terribly! (It's the bitchy queen in me )

They interviewed Novotna as well. I think she is such a delightful personality (though the thread on the old board about her commenating was very funny)

Do you guys remember when Martina returned to Prague for the first time, and Chris and Martina played against Helena and Hana in the 1986 Fed Cup final?

Also, I don't think Hama liked Pam too much. Maybe she was initimdated by Pam's wit. This is a funny passage from Hana's book (as promised Rollo!)

"I think that Pam sometimes has a big mouth, which gets her into controversies in the media, but she is not a bad girl. What I mean is that for someone with such a modest record in the singles game- she has only appeared in one Grand Slam final-Pam has much to say. Of course, she is one of the greatest doubles players in the world and I am willing to concede that she is a "personality" and that is what the tennis world needs" OUCH
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:57 AM   #26
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

LOL at Hana! Talk about a backhanded compliment! Then she lines Pam up smacks her again! Hilarious.

Hana didn't appreciate some of Pam's "Passing Shots" at her in the book, though to be fair to Pam she wasn't making a target of Hana. Pam wrote" Now I understand Hana enough to know that I'll never understand her. I mean, she can turn wacko when you're palying against her, but she seems wackier when you're playing with her". Pammy says somewhere else in the book that hana had the most natural talent of all the women on tour except martina, and Chris got pissed(mad) at her for saying THAT.

Gosandrine-Passing shots doesn't mention Hanika. It's a diary of Pam's 1985 year. By that time injuries had taken Sylvia out of the top ten. The press never gave Sylvia much credit for her game, maybe because she was the type Tauziat calls a "beastie" in her book, the type of woman who isn't glamorous and sort of masculine. That's a shame, because Hanika was the first German in the top ten in years and a joy to watch.

You're on target about different types giving Evert and Martina
fits ball change. Fellow baseliners hate to go up against their own kind.
Maleeva never was a fav of mine, but it would have been nice if she had won her beloved French. She scared the crapola out of Chrissie in 1984 with the big upset in Italy days before the French. Who did Chris get in the round of 16? Manuela! Queen Chris was taken to 3 painful sets before putting Maleeva way.

Bonder won what is now the Tokyo Pan Pacific in September of 1983, beating BOTH Evert and Jaeger. The next week she won the Japan Open.
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #27
country flag GoSandrine

GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future
Thanks Rollo.....how dare Nathalie!
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:21 AM   #28
BCP

Before I log off for the day, here is an exceprt about the row Hana had with Martina, and her relationship with Chris.

"I am very independent, and to be continually walking in Martina' shadow eventually wore me down. Although I had beaten Martina, I could not really break through to become numer one. Maybe that is what motivated my madness in Paris.......
Perhaps it was sour grapes.......Betty (Stove) was experienced, and I refused to listen. So I had to pay. That's what happens in life, you get the bill for the things you do when you act with unthinking supidity.

It hurt me not to be on good terms with Martina and it bothered me that she should turn away when we passed.... I would also turn away beacuse I did not know what to say.... I felt a coolness towards me in the lockerroom, especially from the top players.... It seemed to me Martina & Chris joined forces to oppose me...."

Then at Wimbeldon that year, Chris beat Hana 6-1 6-2 in the semis, after Hana had said that she could beat anyone, and that she didn't care about Martina and chris. After the match:

I glanced over and saw Chris.....and asked her "Are you ready to go?"

Evert responded coldly "No I am not"
"How long will you takle to get ready?"
"I don't know" Then, Evert turned away, and I thought to myself, do I really need this?

.........My pride was bruised and I left the court without Chris, an action I believed she deliberately provoked.....to leave the court without waiting for Evert was the worst thing I could have done. I hurried to tyhe dressing room .... and went ot my cubicle, closed the curtain, and sat there and cried. I knew that I had given the papers another big story.........

At the US Open when Hana lost to Carling Bassett in the quarters:

It was very difficult to avoid Martina at Flushing Meadow beacuse we were using the same locker room.....it hit me that I could not go on much longer like this.....

(waits for Pam to leave). I walked towards Martina with my hand outstrecthed and said in Czech "Martina, I am so sorry. I was stupid, and I hope that you can forgive me"

I could see that she was relieved that I had shown the courage to say sorry, and we shook hands.

Martina told me later:"I understood where you were coming from, how you felt threatened. I didn't appreciate what you said or what you did...but I always knew you had a good heart.........I am not very good at holding grudges and I have been told in the past that I amd too Lenient with people. Hana, you are the other way. It takes you a long time to trust anyone and then if you get hurt you have the memory of an elephant....... I forgave you because I have always felt a kinship towards you, and when we shook hands all that stuff was in the past"

AWWWWW ISN"T THAT LOVELY

(I hope I amd not boring anyone with my incredibly long posts)
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:25 AM   #29
BCP

GoSandrine, I think there is some reference to Sylvia in Hana's book. I will try to find it and post it for you
Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:42 AM   #30
country flag GoSandrine

Ball Change Pls, thanks for the very interesting tidbits......I now have a greater appreciation for Hana after reading your posts. I was an Evert and Hanika fan back in the day and I would really be interested to see what Hana had to say about Sylvia. They had some great matches in the eighties.

I saw Sylvia and Hana play at the US Indoors (I think it was 1984) and Sylvia quickly jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Hana looked out of sorts and argued many line calls. She closed the first set gap, and with the first set in the balance got a break on a net cord that Sylvia got back. They ruled the point in Hana's favor and Sylvia fumed. Hana won the set and cruised in the next with Sylvia storming off the court. Sylvia commented after the match something to the effect that Hana tries to intimidate the linespeople. I don't think they were the best of friends.