Would Anyone like Venus Williams to take over Stacey McAllister's WTA Job ? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 10:50 PM   #31
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would Anyone like Venus Williams to take over Stacey McAllister's WTA Job ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Shady bitch.

Venus would be great at it. I'd be great at it, a WTA ball-girl would be great it. Anyone with a brain is more than adequately placed to better the current CEO.
hopefully you're joking.
I don't think people understand how hard it is to run something as huge as the WTA. But maybe you and posters here have successfully run multimillion dollar corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 10:58 PM   #32
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
hopefully you're joking.
I don't think people understand how hard it is to run something as huge as the WTA. But maybe you and posters here have successfully run multimillion dollar corporations.
Well half-joking. It's been pretty clear for the last half a decade or so is that the only real criteria for being a WTA CEO is to sexualise the tour as much as possible, promote the sport on a superficial level and fan and pander to wealthy nations at any cost to the tour or it's wider fan appeal.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 11:09 PM   #33
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Allaster didn't have the credentials either.
The Tour is just a short term money making machine right now.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 11:42 PM   #34
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
hopefully you're joking.
"Venus Williams" is a multimillion dollar corporation so I'd challenge people to rethink "credentials" in this scenario. Venus did sign the largest endorsement deal in the history of women's sports at one time. She is no novice when it comes to business acumen.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 11:56 PM   #35
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
"Venus Williams" is a multimillion dollar corporation so I'd challenge people to rethink "credentials" in this scenario. Venus did sign the largest endorsement deal in the history of women's sports at one time. She is no novice when it comes to business acumen.
What experience does she have in running a successful corporation?
Signing a deal because you're a great tennis player is irrelevant.

Give her an advisory role or make her an ambassador or players rep or something. But something like CEO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 12:47 AM   #36
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe eventually. But she'll have to work her way up as tournament director first.
Who runs Miami now?
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:05 AM   #37
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
You boycott a tennis tournament and THEN expect to get Allaster's job where dealing with tourney organizers is your daily core business? LOL

You cannot be serious.
Although people seemed to have dismissed this point, it's no small obstacle to Venus taking up such a position. Indian Wells is not any old tournament. In terms of prize money, facilities and number of spectators it is the biggest WTA event by some distance. The only thing that stops it from being by far the most prestigious event aside from the slams is the Williams sisters' boycott. Larry Ellison would be spitting blood at the idea of Venus Williams becoming WTA's CEO.

Another thing to consider is her own position regards Indian Wells. After more than a decade of boycotting it as a player, on a matter of principle, would she be prepared to turn up and promote the event, smile for the cameras and tell the press what a wonderful tournament it is? Because that's what she would have to do. And she would no doubt face some very awkward questions about her change of stance.

And, as others have pointed out, she doesn't have anything close to the credentials for the job. WTA CEO is not a job you land out of the blue, you work your way up to it. Both Larry Scott and Stacey Allaster had over a decade of experience of high level tennis administration.

Maybe in 2026 but not in 2016.

Last edited by bobito : Aug 1st, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:13 AM   #38
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
I would put Venus on the Board of Directors but she hasn't the resume to be the CEO.

Stacey Allaster was the tournament director in tournament director in Toronto for many years and a Tennis Canada's senior executive.
Managing Tennis Canada and the WTA isn't exactly the same thing.

If you watch some highlights from the past, every single stadium was packed back in the days.
They don't have much superstars but they should be doing much better than the current mess they're in.
I think you'd be surprised at how little it takes, experience-wise, to become a corporate CEO. regardless of company size.

There are so many who are not qualified, but run thousands of companies today.

Topic-wise:
Venus would probably perform beautifully, as she already has the required presence, networking (inside and outside of tennis), image/status, respect of her constituents, and successes (equal prize pay for the WTA), and interior design company, and clothing design). Additionally, she has direct ties to active and former WTA players,so there is built-in trust. To top it all off, she already has business management knowledge and experience.
Her poker face and apathetic demeanor would be perfect during arbitration sessions.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 03:18 AM   #39
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
Although people seemed to have dismissed this point, it's no small obstacle to Venus taking up such a position. Indian Wells is not any old tournament. In terms of prize money, facilities and number of spectators it is the biggest WTA event by some distance. The only thing that stops it from being by far the most prestigious event aside from the slams is the Williams sisters' boycott. Larry Ellison would be spitting blood at the idea of Venus Williams becoming WTA's CEO.

Another thing to consider is her own position regards Indian Wells. After more than a decade of boycotting it as a player, on a matter of principle, would she be prepared to turn up and promote the event, smile for the cameras and tell the press what a wonderful tournament it is? Because that's what she would have to do. And she would no doubt face some very awkward questions about her change of stance.

And, as others have pointed out, she doesn't have anything close to the credentials for the job. WTA CEO is not a job you land out of the blue, you work your way up to it. Both Larry Scott and Stacey Allaster had over a decade of experience of high level tennis administration.

Its not just about IW, more like about her pride. In actual business its more of a weakness, either business partners wouldnt like it at all or just exploit it (on account of WTA).
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 03:20 AM   #40
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Stacey Allaster has years of experience and has worked her way up to running a multimillion dollar global brand. Venus Williams is simply not qualified for that job at the moment.
Well, so what, she has done a crap job despite having those credentials. Did Billie Jean King have those credentials when she started WTA, no. I am not saying she would be excellent, but she would definitely do a better job than Stacey. And she already have the respect of players for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post

First line, Larry Scott and Stacey Allester have ruined Women's tennis, so using them as examples isn't a good thing. In the second line, i agree it shouldn't 2016, maybe at least 5 years after. BJK should give her a board position and give her the ropes.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 03:21 AM   #41
country flag #1SteffiGraf#1

#1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future

No, Venus has already mentioned she felt scorned by US Fans for the lack of support. I have a feeling she would take out her vengeance in the wrong way.

W needs someone with a clear mind.
------------------------------------------------------------
Hingis Fan est. 1996
Pova Fan est. 2009
#1SteffiGraf#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 03:40 AM   #42
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with those who say she hasn't the experience for the job. Stacey Allaster might have done a bad job at running the WTA, but at least she's been running the WTA. That's a hands on, day in day out thing, not just a smile and a handshake.

I also seriously doubt she'd want the job once she had a clear picture of what it entails. Venus strikes me as a girl who likes to do her own thing, but that would definitely not be on the cards for the boss of the WTA.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 04:02 AM   #43
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
Well, so what, she has done a crap job despite having those credentials. Did Billie Jean King have those credentials when she started WTA, no. I am not saying she would be excellent, but she would definitely do a better job than Stacey. And she already have the respect of players for starters.

First line, Larry Scott and Stacey Allester have ruined Women's tennis, so using them as examples isn't a good thing. In the second line, i agree it shouldn't 2016, maybe at least 5 years after. BJK should give her a board position and give her the ropes.
I can't think of a sport where the hardcore fans think the person in charge of the governing body is doing a good job. I'll give Larry Scott and Stacey Allastar credit for a couple of things. Firstly there is, as far as I know, no suggestion that the WTA is institutionally corrupt. That's more than you can say for a number of major sports governing bodies (football's FIFA and cricket's ICC). Secondly, their priority has been to spread the game globally and they have not been without success in that regard.

I'm by no means in agreement with everything they've done but to say that they have "ruined Women's tennis" is, to my mind, over the top.

bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 06:07 AM   #44
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceboy View Post
There's probably a lot more to being a business executive than some of you might think. I don't profess to know what that all entails, but I imagine you need some experience in creating and managing budgets, expense sheets, corporate law pertaining to the board of directors, etc. I mean, Stacey Allaster used to be a tennis player as well, yes, but she has an MBA and had like 15-20 years as a business executive before being chosen CEO...

I think she'd make a great board member. But CEO? No way
Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceboy View Post
What exactly did Venus do in the equal prize money fight that was revolutionary? I agree she was instrumental, but I don't think any of the methods she employed were groundbreaking. She had meetings with tournament execs and then wrote an op-ed piece in a newspaper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Stacey Allaster has years of experience and has worked her way up to running a multimillion dollar global brand. Venus Williams is simply not qualified for that job at the moment.
these.

venus's "business acumen" is so overrated on this board.

I will never foret you SGT. TIMMYKINZ! You are one of a kind. When you come back pretend that you're a fan of "it" and the mods will look the other way.
HRHoliviasmith is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 08:21 AM   #45
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

For sometime in the future, I can see that happening. Right now she is a player and so it it hard to imagine it. But of all the players, recently retired or present, she probably stands out the tallest. 2016 is too soon, but if she starts serving in some capacity, she could work her way up.
The other player with possibility is Lindsay- serena and maria do not seem the type though.
But seriously, how would she cope with that pesky two week even in March when all roads lead to Indian Wells?