Serena: Hingis would be Top 10 for sure - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 07:45 PM   #61
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena: Hingis would be Top 10 for sure

Okay, I've pondered the pros and cons of a Hingis returning and think that it would definitely be good for the tour.

Hingis possesses a style of play that is unique to the WTA, and she could very well succeed, IF she is willing to put in the consistent hard work.

There is also the question of coaches though.
Who would she pick up?

Concerning the Serena connection...
It's not perfectly clear what their relationship is at the present, but with both being associated with the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy, I could easily see them hitting for fun, or playing a friendly set against each other.
I mean, if they are meeting for dinner, a friendly game or two wouldn't be too much of a stretch, IMO.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM   #62
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
It's not perfectly clear what their relationship is at the present, but with both being associated with the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy, I could easily see them hitting for fun, or playing a friendly set against each other.
I mean, if they are meeting for dinner, a friendly game or two wouldn't be too much of a stretch, IMO.
They have probably already done those things, which is why Serena saying she would be top 10 is probably the truth. Just my opinion, I have no confirmation that they ACTUALLY have practiced or hit together.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM   #63
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
They have probably already done those things, which is why Serena saying she would be top 10 is probably the truth. Just my opinion, I have no confirmation that they ACTUALLY have practiced or hit together.
However, we do not know this for certain.
Unless their is video footage that proves this, I'd vote against it.
---understanding how secretive Serena has always been about her practice sessions, and the competition having any edge.

It could just as easily be said that Serena has watched Hingis during practice and drawn the same conclusion.
And even if Serena said this, it still doesn't make the statement true.
We can only know for sure if and when Hingis decides to prove it by returning to the tour.

It's a grand assumption that people are making here, and I doubt very seriously that many people would be willing to bet their house on Hingis reaching the Top 10...ever.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:22 AM   #64
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
I remember Bjorn Borg trying a come back in the 80's a few years after his retirement. He gave up fast. It's hard to catch the train again. The train kept rolling while you were making a break. It rolls harder and faster than before.
You do realize that Borg tried to come back playing with a WOODEN racquet yes?

This isn't the early 90s... and this isn't men's tennis.

Two top 5 players are over 30 right now... and 2 more in the top 10 are above 27 years of age.

Sorry but the days of 16-18 year olds dominating the sport is no longer the case.
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:26 AM   #65
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Okay, I've pondered the pros and cons of a Hingis returning and think that it would definitely be good for the tour.

Hingis possesses a style of play that is unique to the WTA, and she could very well succeed, IF she is willing to put in the consistent hard work.

There is also the question of coaches though.
Who would she pick up?

Hingis does not need a coach... she understands the game too well to require one.

The biggest issue about her returning is a point you already made... Is she willing to put the work in? If so.... she will get back to the top 10 rather easily.

People forget how consistent Hingis is. If she plays enough tournaments she will get back to top 10 probably halfway through the season, presuming that she returns in Australia... which is probably the best guess.

Woz is top 10 and she isn't even playing 25,395 tournmanets a year like she used to when she was #1...

We have 3 top 10 players that can produce 2nd serves with rather alarming consistency in the MID 60s (I about puked watching Aga hit 66 mph 2nd serves during Stanford).... that even makes Hingis' 2nd serve look decent by comparison.
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:07 AM   #66
country flag RVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
Hingis does not need a coach... she understands the game too well to require one.

The biggest issue about her returning is a point you already made... Is she willing to put the work in? If so.... she will get back to the top 10 rather easily.

People forget how consistent Hingis is. If she plays enough tournaments she will get back to top 10 probably halfway through the season, presuming that she returns in Australia... which is probably the best guess.

Woz is top 10 and she isn't even playing 25,395 tournmanets a year like she used to when she was #1...

We have 3 top 10 players that can produce 2nd serves with rather alarming consistency in the MID 60s (I about puked watching Aga hit 66 mph 2nd serves during Stanford).... that even makes Hingis' 2nd serve look decent by comparison.
Not so sure JCTennisFan.

Unless things have become more streamlined than I'm aware of, a tennis coach's job isn't solely limited to simply coaching.
But, if Hingis has enough time to devote to conditioning, practicing, setting up appointments and schedules, and then also perform the majority of duties and responsibilities required of a professional tennis coach, then okay. I won't debate you on this. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Re: The ease of reaching the top 10...

You make it sound as if Hingis is still young, and that her body isn't prone to injury.
You and I both know that her age is a major factor.
Not every player is blessed with Kimiko Date-Krumm or Serena's genes.
The body takes much longer to recover, and equally as long to show results.
Also, I'm not completely doubting her ability to reach the Top 10, because she certainly has the skill.
What I questioning is her desire/determination/heart.

But again, we can't know for certain unless she returns to prove to herself (and everyone else) that she can once again reach and maintain that elite level.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:11 AM   #67
country flag Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog has disabled reputation

Breaking news: Hingis won't return as a singles player. It is too demanding for her. She said so just hours before her match with Hantuchova. Source: Check news sites
Smacky the Frog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:12 AM   #68
country flag RVD

Speaking of...
Smacky the Frog just posted this update:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=250
Quote:
"It's a completely different world. Even World Team Tennis now, it's brutal, it's only one set but still the next day you wake up, and you have to put so much more effort into it."

"When you're 17 everything seems so easy, but now I'm almost twice the age," Hingis said. "I wouldn't want to come out and play one or two matches and then lose third round, that's not my type of personality. So not at this point, no."
Seems I was right on the mark.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:14 AM   #69
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Work ethic has never been one of her strong points. I doubt she has the drive to put in the work required for a singles comeback. The post above mine pretty much confirms that.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:27 AM   #70
country flag Exodite

Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of Exodite has much to be proud of

Serena just wants to finish her career being remembered as nice person.

She knows she has been a very bad girl on court at times and wants to make up for it. If you're big and strong and behave like a bully at times that image will stick with you much harder. But she is entering what must be the twilight of her career with decent dignity. Having won everything in spades surely helps a lot in that effort. But who knows. Even large riches can be squandered and create foul moods in those who lost them. Apparently Sanchez-Vicario is broke... all those sweaty tennis years and relatives wasted her money away.
Exodite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM   #71
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodite View Post
Serena just wants to finish her career being remembered as nice person.

She knows she has been a very bad girl on court at times and wants to make up for it. If you're big and strong and behave like a bully at times that image will stick with you much harder. But she is entering what must be the twilight of her career with decent dignity. Having won everything in spades surely helps a lot in that effort. But who knows. Even large riches can be squandered and create foul moods in those who lost them. Apparently Sanchez-Vicario is broke... all those sweaty tennis years and relatives wasted her money away.
Will you go sit down with that ignorant babble. Serena has always said nice things about her fellow players only you and your types never pay enough attention to notice.

This was what Serena said about Hingis in 2003 after Hingis announced her first retirement:

Quote:
Williams believes that Hingis is suffering from burnout because of her early domination after turning professional aged just 14. "I don't know if she's officially retired yet," said Williams after advancing to the semi-finals of the Paris Indoor Open on Friday.

"I think she just wants to take a break. I didn't get serious until I was 17 and she'd already been around a long time at 17, and I'm tired, I can only imagine how she feels."

Hingis' last match was at Filderstadt, Germany, on Oct 10, 2002, where she was beaten by Russia's Elena Dementieva. Williams, fresh from her fourth consecutive Grand Slam win, admitted that Hingis had inspired her.

"She's had a great career. Being No 1 at 16 and the youngest winner of Wimbledon, she made me raise the level of my game," she said.

Williams dismissed the notion that Hingis feared her and her sister, Venus, and that the Swiss player's departure would mark the end of tactical tennis. "I've no doubt it's the last thing on her mind not being able to beat us," she said. "I think a lot of people play tactical. I do. You can't just win by hitting the ball as hard as you can and hope it goes in."
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=56164
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 10:23 AM   #72
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenga View Post
Will you go sit down with that ignorant babble. Serena has always said nice things about her fellow players only you and your types never pay enough attention to notice.

This was what Serena said about Hingis in 2003 after Hingis announced her first retirement:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=56164

Do you have her teen years quotes....

remember that formal education quote :tape

but she is nicer about her opponents than Jcap ever was
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM   #73
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
Do you have her teen years quotes....

remember that formal education quote :tape

but she is nicer about her opponents than Jcap ever was
She was responding to Hingis after she referred to her and her sister as having big mouth so it wasn't some out of the left comment she made to attack her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uY3wesJmQ
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote