2013 US Open – Out of Top 10 - Page 28 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 27th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #406
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold
Re: US open Petra is playing Misaki Doi, Petko is looming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Yes she was going deeper especially at big events in 2012 compared to what she's doing this year but competition wasn't tougher because she was ranked higher and was meeting decent player much later in the draw, average rank of player she faced in 2011: 42(46 if you discount YEC), 2012: 54, 2013: 46. Her record vs Top10 is much more reviling stat and in 2012 she was abysmal with 3-7 record, this year she is 5-4 and impressive 13-5(7-3 before USO) in 2011

Service games held doesn't determined how good is your serve because you can have tons of BPs that you gifted with DFs\UEs that you had to save in order to hold. First service win % is more telling story and if look at this stats she has dropped her level as expected but her numbers weren't impressive in first place, same goes for her 2nd serve win %, also Petra wasn't good returner at all and not just this year like you trying to state and that's why i gave all those stats
I have to agree with Shifty (only her serve is worse in 2013 - that's why I am saying all the time), although I wouldn't say Petra is awful returner, she's not the top returner but if she holds her serve, she is good enough to break at least two times in the match and win.
However, from your stats, Shifty, it is clear that only two players from top 10 are in the top 10 by 1st service win %. Why aren't those other players from top 10 by 1st service win % in the top 10 or even in the top 20 most of the times?

It is possible to be great in winning of your 1st serves but bad in 1st serves in % and awful on your 2nd serve. So, I guess, you have to serve enough 1st serves in and win enough of them to win most of your service games to be a good server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbadwanska View Post
Sometimes is very hard to be Petra's fan.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 27th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #407
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Us open Petra beat Misaki Doi in 3 and started to pack

I liked her red polo, but skirt is ugly
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #408
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold
Re: Us open Petra beat Misaki Doi in 3 and started to pack

Kotyza has son called Vincent and was watching today's match of Petra.
Quote:
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #409
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of shotmakers

venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold
Re: US open Petra 3setova is playing Serbian party girl Bo-Jo

Kvitova said. "I didn't play my game all match. I didn't have focus. I have to have more confidence."

Has Petra been reading Tennis Forum?

KVITOVA LI NA
LISICKI BOUCHARD HALEP
VOEGELE GOERGES
venusinfurs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #410
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Yes she was going deeper especially at big events in 2012 compared to what she's doing this year but competition wasn't tougher because she was ranked higher and was meeting decent player much later in the draw, average rank of player she faced in 2011: 42(46 if you discount YEC), 2012: 54, 2013: 46. Her record vs Top10 is much more reviling stat and in 2012 she was abysmal with 3-7 record, this year she is 5-4 and impressive 13-5(7-3 before USO) in 2011

Service games held doesn't determined how good is your serve because you can have tons of BPs that you gifted with DFs\UEs that you had to save in order to hold. First service win % is more telling story and if look at this stats she has dropped her level as expected but her numbers weren't impressive in first place, same goes for her 2nd serve win %, also Petra wasn't good returner at all and not just this year like you trying to state and that's why i gave all those stats
We'll just have to grossly agree to disagree (and you noticed, I'm not bringing in noted experts, who support my contention). Cause I'm puzzled by you.

1)Petra had a very good 2nd serve held % in 2011. Many so called experts (who I won't name, but certainly can), thought she had arguably the 2nd best 2nd serve in tennis, and the 2nd or third best serve in the WTA overall. It started to decline in 2012, and got abysmal (of course) in 2013.

2) Petra has lost the action/work she used to have on her serve that brought back short reply's, setting up easy winners for her. This was one of the key attributes of Petra's serve than many people didn't notice. Very few women in the WTA have serves that could do that.

3) Petra has lost 10-12 mph off of her Flat serve (and even intermediate/hybrid ones), compared to 2011, and parts of 2012. This is particularly important, when Petra trying to serve down the middle in the AD court (especially when the returner is leaning, hedging towards the outside), and when serving out wide in the Deuce court.

4) Petra has lost the reliability on her Flat serve up the middle in the Ad court, mind you it's speed. These are all big things, declines that can affect a player immeasurably.

5) Currently she lacks the confidence, due to all these things.

Lastly, why would you bring up Petra's draw the way you did? No matter who she played early, Petra was beating top ranked players as she went deep into tournaments. Now Petra rarely gets to play them at all. I'm puzzled again.

I repeat. Very few WTA players have good, consistent serves.

Bottom Line is: Petra was one of the few women in the WTA that actually had a good, reliable serve (especially when needed to get her out of a Jam). Lisicki's was always too inconsistent. And Sam's was always overrated. Sharapova's started to get better and more consistent in 2012. But they weren't many.

Nonetheless, Petra's was considered equal to or better; slightly behind Sam's at worst (and I know you're going to tell me, Sam's wasn't that good), by most legitimate observers.

Remember what Petra used to do on Match points or tough situations (unless you didn't see, know or remember), like at 2011 Wimbledon or the YEC. She could serve 4 easy points in a row, or come down from an 0-40 deficit against a quality opponent in tight, pressure situations, with titles at stake (Azarenka and Sam in this case), off of great serving. How is/was she not a good server? How many women in the WTA could do that? Certainly not Azarenka, Aga or Li Na, etc.? Boy, what losing does to some peoples memories here.

As far as her ROS: As I stated earlier, Petra's numbers were never going to be in the top 3 like Masha, Serena or Azarenka near 50% (Petra was usually in the top 10, but in the low forties, high thirties percentages), cause she took many chances overall, and would always lose some stinkers, dragging down her overall average. However, if you look at the tournaments, Petra won (particularly in 2011), when she was playing well, her BP% during those tournaments were usually higher,and she could break you when she buckled down. Many experts were even saying at the time, "when playing well/she wants, Kvitova had the best ROS", if not the overall best in 2011. Now whether you believe those exact sentiments or not, it amplifies the point that Petra had a more than better than average ROS.

I find this whole discussion amusing, regarding Petra's serve and ROS: It's all in the hands. Petra has great hands, and ability to control the direction and action of the ball. So all of a sudden she never had this ability (especially when playing well)?

Plus, Petra was never "GOATRA/KVITTY GOAT", with out the ability to smother an opponent on serve, ROS and Ground strokes. That's what she was known for. And what made her "Unplayable" in so many peoples mind. But OK. SMH

PS: It's not all about Statistics (though Petra does well in many/most of them). This is the eye/witness/will/Physics/comparison test. And I find it ironic, that you essentially said 'Statistics can deceive' on Petra's Serve % stats, but you you're entire argument is based off stats and rankings. Which one is it?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #411
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

The serve will come back. She had injuries and was out of shape. I have long thought that her decline this year has been mostly because of her serve, what with double faults etc. And the root cause of that was unfitness. Carrying an extra 15-20 pounds means your legs have to work a little bit harder to elevate for your serve, and the result is more double faults and weak serves.

Petra's new diet is very good news. She will drop weight by cutting out refined carbs, and the result will be better serving.
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #412
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
The serve will come back. She had injuries and was out of shape. I have long thought that her decline this year has been mostly because of her serve, what with double faults etc. And the root cause of that was unfitness. Carrying an extra 15-20 pounds means your legs have to work a little bit harder to elevate for your serve, and the result is more double faults and weak serves.

Petra's new diet is very good news. She will drop weight by cutting out refined carbs, and the result will be better serving.
Let's hope so.

And I forgot to mention (on my numbered list), what ever/regardless of Petra's overall DF's stats were' she always seemed to avoid them at critical moments in 2011 (and even most of 2012) compared to 2013.

If Petra Double Faulted in 2011, it probably didn't hurt her, count much, or it was in a tourney Petra just played bad in and lost early (Mid East, NA, Asian swing).

She was so good at that (serving well under pressure), you always heard broadcasters and coaches say, "the reason why she doesn't DF much under pressure, is cause she has such a smooth, beautiful service motion, that it won't break down". "It's One of the best", they used to say.

You don't hear that much anymore, if at all.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #413
country flag *Jack*

There are many weird things for Petra in 2013 which she haven't been doing in the past, such as double faults on important points, losing most of the 3 set matches after winning 1st set, playing more 3 setters than 2 setters and so on.
Quote:
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #414
country flag hypersonic

hypersonic is an unknown quantity at this point

Tomorrow's schedule: Petra on court 4, after Jankovic and Tipsarevic. Weird spot, to be honest. Errani and Wozniacki on Ashe, is court 4 even televised?
hypersonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #415
country flag *Jack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
Tomorrow's schedule: Petra on court 4, after Jankovic and Tipsarevic. Weird spot, to be honest. Errani and Wozniacki on Ashe, is court 4 even televised?
It is not.

This is the list of player who are lower seeded than Petra or they are just totally irrelevant and they are on the bigger and streamed courts:
Code:
GRANDSTAND
 Women's Singles - Round 2
Ana Ivanovic (SRB) [13]
vs.
Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU)

COURT 17
Paula Ormaechea (ARG)
vs.
Sabine Lisicki (GER) [16]	
Alize Cornet (FRA) [26]
vs.
Ajla Tomljanovic (CRO)

COURT 13
Kurumi Nara (JPN)
vs.
Sorana Cirstea (ROU) [19]

COURT 11
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [27]
vs.
Shuai Peng (CHN)
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
vs.
Victoria Duval (USA)
Quite a long list by the way. She is playing on the worst court from the top 10 player that are playing today.
Quote:
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #416
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future
Re: Finally easy ride Petra beat Bo-Jo in 2

with Mona out, Petra is now in the jaffa section of the draw.

will she take advantage for her first USO QF?
pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #417
country flag *Jack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post

would she take advantage for her first USO QF?
Wait what?

And QF is still sooo far away.
Quote:
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #418
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
Wait what?
seedless

pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #419
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post

will she take advantage for her first USO QF?
oooh... I will say.. lets keep expectations low so that the eventual fall will not be great for her long suffering fans & also not jinx her in any way ... I am surprised at your positivity

BTW.. I have been reading that Kvitty is on a new diet & her pouch is disappearing ... really? .. is there a realiable source to these stories? or are these myths floating around TF...?

Always nice to see the 'Beating your faves in less than 60 mins' thread getting a new entry... now and again...
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #420
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of shotmakers

venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold venusinfurs is a splendid one to behold

I'm not too jaded yet, getting there though.

I really think Petra has a good chance here of the quarters, I think even a 50% Petra could make it that far with this draw.

Just needs to keep focused... oh wait

KVITOVA LI NA
LISICKI BOUCHARD HALEP
VOEGELE GOERGES
venusinfurs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote