2013 US Open – Out of Top 10 - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #376
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US open Petra is playing Misaki Doi, Petko is looming

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs View Post
Petra looked clueless after 4 games, it was a sad sight compared to how she started

Unfortunately VIF (and I said this many times in the past), until Petra matures--1-4 years from now, and/or she gets rid of that ENTIRE team she currently has (and possibly moves out of the Czech Republic), I don't see any near term success for Petra.

PS: At least like what many of her fans wish, knows she's capable of.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #377
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
These comparisons are really kind of pointess, especially considering Petra was suffering from a virus when she played Flipper, even though I think she still should have won that match.

What is really disappointing with the Halep match was that Petra came out, full of confidence in GOAT mode, Halep hung in with some outstanding play. Then she just... gave up.

Petra's game is based so much on confidence, she started with it and played outstanding... could/should have been 4-0 up, couldn't break and I could see what was going to happen a mile off, confidence shot and seriously couldn't see her winning another game. Why couldn't she just keep playing the way she was, with a bit of patience she would have broke her eventually.

And what was with the toilet break after 1 set?! Good way to show weakness to your opponent.

Her problems are 99% mental.

I love her game when she is on, she needs to learn how too sustain it. She also needs a plan b.
Yep, completely agree w/ you...and I include not being able to cope well or manage her asthma, DFs, and repeatedly shanking one ball after another w/ no intent as part of her mental issues

When's playing w/ these mental roadblocks, you completely forget that she even won a GS in the first place...she's just gotta sort out how to adapt and modify her game when she's not feeling well, things aren't going well, or her opponent is playing well...that is the true testament of a champion

I mean you see time and time again, Serena, Azarenka, and all the top players on the men's side still playing through when they're plagued w/ injuries, but they all manage to COPE w/ their injuries by modifying their game plan in the match...this is something Petra desperately needs to learn
TennisAddict84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #378
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
When Halep beats Radwanska, Li Na, (I wish Bartoli was still playing), a currently out of shape Vika, or some other legitimate player that's playing well here at the US Open, then I'll be impressed. And no, I don't know her quarter there. Lol

It's like Errani (who I like), winning MM tournaments, but can't win a Premier Mandatory or Premier 5, cause she loses to the legitimate, good players.

It's good for Halep though, that Petra, Sharapova, Bartoli, Kerber, Wozniaki, etc., are all out of form or AWOL for this tournament, and New Haven.
Yeah, gotta agree w/ you on this. I kept on seeing post after post about how Halep was outplaying Petra, looked like a future top 10er, and would be a legit threat at the USO...hell, I even saw a post comparing her defensive abilities to Djokovic

So then I go back and watch the replay of the match (didn't have time to watch it live)and lo and behold, it's another match where it's more about Petra self-destructing and gifting her opponent point after point rather than her opponent playing lights out tennis

I mean sure, Halep didn't make a lot of errors, and was steady & consistent, but she def DID NOT outplay Petra...when a player is shanking rally balls left and right or returning average 1st serves several feet from the baseline, I hardly call that outplaying them

But it's just comical to me how everyone has announced Halep as the next tennis superstar lol
TennisAddict84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #379
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
Yeah, gotta agree w/ you on this. I kept on seeing post after post about how Halep was outplaying Petra, looked like a future top 10er, and would be a legit threat at the USO...hell, I even saw a post comparing her defensive abilities to Djokovic

So then I go back and watch the replay of the match (didn't have time to watch it live)and lo and behold, it's another match where it's more about Petra self-destructing and gifting her opponent point after point rather than her opponent playing lights out tennis

I mean sure, Halep didn't make a lot of errors, and was steady & consistent, but she def DID NOT outplay Petra...when a player is shanking rally balls left and right or returning average 1st serves several feet from the baseline, I hardly call that outplaying them

But it's just comical to me how everyone has announced Halep as the next tennis superstar lol
Petra is the future Superstar Maker, to every two bit player she spectacularly loses to, it appears.

And yes, Petra had a boat load of errors. Not sure what the final count was, but at one point the count was 6 Halep and 26 Kvitova.

Yes, Petra self destructed/got sick, what ever early in the first set and Halep took advantage. She didn't have to do much after that. Not at all.

Nonetheless, congrats to Halep.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #380
country flag Palkov

Palkov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
Why do you even compare those two seasons? You don't have to see the win-loss record to see that Petra is having horrible season and that's why she plays like that. And Petra would destroyed almost anybody if she played like in 2011, what is the point of saying that?
Why the surprise Jack?
It's obvious that that this is just a simple way how to show whether she keeps her play on certain level - to compare it with her best season so far. In addition, 2011 season was also a rollercoaster and despite this fact she grabbed 6 titles What a potential to dominate she has!!

I would never say that Petra is a bad player, because she is not. But those (unfortunately) too frequent defeats to low ranked players this season are frustrating

Quote:
These comparisons are really kind of pointess, especially considering Petra was suffering from a virus when she played Flipper, even though I think she still should have won that match.
Good point, I forgot the virus issue...but Iam afraid the result would not have been too different if she had been healthy...
Palkov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #381
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

What is really disappointing with the Halep match was that Petra came out, full of confidence in GOAT mode, Halep hung in with some outstanding play. Then she just... gave up.

Petra's game is based so much on confidence, she started with it and played outstanding... could/should have been 4-0 up, couldn't break and I could see what was going to happen a mile off, confidence shot and seriously couldn't see her winning another game. Why couldn't she just keep playing the way she was, with a bit of patience she would have broke her eventually.

And what was with the toilet break after 1 set?! Good way to show weakness to your opponent.

Her problems are 99% mental.

I love her game when she is on, she needs to learn how too sustain it. She also needs a plan b.
I have to agree! Her plan B used to be the serve, but that is gone now, it signs off with the rest of her game when she gives up or loses her confidence.

Quote:
You brought up a great point to Palkov, about comparing Petra now to 2011 against Flipkens. I agree. That would have been a massacre. And I wasn't doing that. I was only trying to illustrate that Petra's only average to decent right now, and how a "good" playing player beat Flipkens today (Venus), and a "very good" one (Bartoli) killed Flipkens, previously at Wimbeledon.

And No, everyone doesn't know!! Lol.

The reason why, I point out Petra's level sometimes? Cause they're still some Petra fans here, who state the opponent she lost to was "unbeatable/playing great (Pav's, Halep, Robson, Cirstea, etc.)", or now that [they think] she's fit, she's going to be a world beater again.

It couldn't be the farthest thing from the truth.

Plus, you do feel bad, when you watch Grandma Venus absolutely Boss the same Flipkens around the court, that Petra choked/loss to, missing out on a Wimbledon semi-final.
Who says that her opponent was unbeatable (unbeatable surely doesn't mean the same as playing great )?

And no, I don't feel bad about Venus bosing Flipper, I'm glad actually, because I was cheering on grandma when she played against her last time and lost (gave up). But I still don't get what this doesn't have in common with Petra's loss to her in Wimby besides Flipper her self. She just stayed with her in the match long enough to use Petra's weak moment to win. Unfortunately (because it shows how weak/up and down Petra is), that doesn't mean that she (Flipper) wouldn't lose to any well playing aggressive opponent 9 times out of 10.

Quote:
When Halep beats Radwanska, Li Na, (I wish Bartoli was still playing), a currently out of shape Vika, or some other legitimate player that's playing well here at the US Open, then I'll be impressed. And no, I don't know her quarter there. Lol

It's like Errani (who I like), winning MM tournaments, but can't win a Premier Mandatory or Premier 5, cause she loses to the legitimate, good players.

It's good for Halep though, that Petra, Sharapova, Bartoli, Kerber, Wozniaki, etc., are all out of form or AWOL for this tournament, and New Haven.
She's beaten Serena in the final. Good point about Halep vs. "out-of-form girls".

Quote:
Yep, completely agree w/ you...and I include not being able to cope well or manage her asthma, DFs, and repeatedly shanking one ball after another w/ no intent as part of her mental issues

When's playing w/ these mental roadblocks, you completely forget that she even won a GS in the first place...she's just gotta sort out how to adapt and modify her game when she's not feeling well, things aren't going well, or her opponent is playing well...that is the true testament of a champion

I mean you see time and time again, Serena, Azarenka, and all the top players on the men's side still playing through when they're plagued w/ injuries, but they all manage to COPE w/ their injuries by modifying their game plan in the match...this is something Petra desperately needs to learn
Agreed.

Quote:

Indeed, but that's nothing new, posters love to hype everybody who's young and well playing and ignore the facts (in this case, Petra's walkabout and self-destruction mode).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palkov View Post
Why the surprise Jack?
It's obvious that that this is just a simple way how to show whether she keeps her play on certain level - to compare it with her best season so far. In addition, 2011 season was also a rollercoaster and despite this fact she grabbed 6 titles What a potential to dominate she has!!

I would never say that Petra is a bad player, because she is not. But those (unfortunately) too frequent defeats to low ranked players this season are frustrating

Good point, I forgot the virus issue...but Iam afraid the result would not have been too different if she had been healthy...
I wasn't surprised, I just didn't get it. It's pointless compare her best season (win-loss record will be surely worse if you compare season with 6 titles and season with 1 titles and many tournaments played) or level of play from that season to this one because we all know she can lose to everyone on given day and used to be able to beat almost everyone on given day in 2011.
And yeah, you can say she is bad player after so many matches she threw away or lost, when she starts to play well again, she will be winning routine matches in two and play even matches with the greats.
And other Czech Davis Cup and Fed Cup team members
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbadwanska View Post
Sometimes is very hard to be Petra's fan.

Last edited by *Jack* : Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #382
country flag Palkov

Palkov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
I wasn't surprised, I just didn't get it. It's pointless compare her best season (win-loss record will be surely worse if you compare season with 6 titles and season with 1 titles and many tournaments played) or level of play from that season to this one because we all know she can lose to everyone on given day and used to be able to beat almost everyone on given day in 2011.
And yeah, you can say she is bad player after so many matches she threw away or lost, when she starts to play well again, she will be winning routine matches in two and play even matches with the greats.
Well, I respect your opinion, but disagree And again, Petra IS NOT a bad player and cannot be with the weapons arsenal she owns (in terms of tennis skills of course) She "only" needs to mature and be more consistent...
Palkov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #383
country flag Pimp_Me_Pova

Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well, I respect your opinion, but disagree And again, Petra IS NOT a bad player and cannot be with the weapons arsenal she owns (in terms of tennis skills of course) She "only" needs to mature and be more consistent...
she just need to start put ball on the court sometimes and not 3 metres ouz

Maria Sharapova, Kim Aussie Clijsters, Roger Fedex Federer, Petra Kvitova, JMDP, Sabine Lisicki
Pimp_Me_Pova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #384
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah, Petra is not a bad player actually (that is not my opinion, my opinion is that I can say it, it's just a word after all), but she just don't know how to use her power. She could be a good player, but, as you say, she has to mature first. Until then, she can be incredibly good player in one match and awkwardly bad player in the next one.
And other Czech Davis Cup and Fed Cup team members
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbadwanska View Post
Sometimes is very hard to be Petra's fan.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #385
country flag Letigre

Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify some points. You are all talking about Petra needing to have a plan B. Agreed, but can someone please point out to me what that plan B would be ? coming up to the net ? prolonging the rallies ? to play more like counter puncher ? And how the hell is she going to do any of that when the girl can barely move from side to side and is exhausted after an over 5 shot rally ? She's doing the only thing she can do atm: hit randomly and as hard as she can with the hope of making the rallies as short as possible.

Does she looks thinner than a couple of months ago ? maybe, but that doesn't tell that much, plus it's nearly impossible to improve your fitness in a couple of weeks between tournaments, you need the whole off season to do that. Watch the videos from the first half of 2011. Her legs and arms are much thinner, and she moved sooo much better then. She was able to do, constantly, these little steps to adjust her position just before hitting the ball (the sure sign of an OK footwork) instead of the big flat frankestain-esque steps she now takes to get to the ball. Her body position during the rallies at that time (crouched, expectant, and sprightly) is missing now.

Petra's legs look stronger and she's probably gained a lot of muscle. Maybe a bad idea, as muscles are weight that has to be moved, and Petra's body frame is big enough in itself to add more weight to it (plus it increases the risk of injuries) Maybe her fitness approach is the wrong one and the girl is working out in the wrong direction ?

About the Halep match. Simona only needed four games to adjust to Petra's pace and start to move the ball around (the girl has awesome skills to do that) from then on the result of the match was NID, but do not underestimate her: she outplayed Petra too (it doesn't mean to hit harder as some ppl think) continually outmaneuvering Petra, getting her out of her comfortable hitting zone and making an effortless transition from defensive to offensive.

Exc, please explain to that Venus.. that the first 4 games was not Goatra. The gurl is totally haunted, and as she didn't know who Petra was a couple of months ago, she doesn't know better.

Agree about Petra's mental approach to the matches. I am speechless seeing her general attitude (the first set against Pavs was embarrassing to watch).
Letigre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #386
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of beautiful games

venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
Just to clarify some points. You are all talking about Petra needing to have a plan B. Agreed, but can someone please point out to me what that plan B would be ? coming up to the net ? prolonging the rallies ? to play more like counter puncher ? And how the hell is she going to do any of that when the girl can barely move from side to side and is exhausted after an over 5 shot rally ? She's doing the only thing she can do atm: hit randomly and as hard as she can with the hope of making the rallies as short as possible.

Does she looks thinner than a couple of months ago ? maybe, but that doesn't tell that much, plus it's nearly impossible to improve your fitness in a couple of weeks between tournaments, you need the whole off season to do that. Watch the videos from the first half of 2011. Her legs and arms are much thinner, and she moved sooo much better then. She was able to do, constantly, these little steps to adjust her position just before hitting the ball (the sure sign of an OK footwork) instead of the big flat frankestain-esque steps she now takes to get to the ball. Her body position during the rallies at that time (crouched, expectant, and sprightly) is missing now.

Petra's legs look stronger and she's probably gained a lot of muscle. Maybe a bad idea, as muscles are weight that has to be moved, and Petra's body frame is big enough in itself to add more weight to it (plus it increases the risk of injuries) Maybe her fitness approach is the wrong one and the girl is working out in the wrong direction ?

About the Halep match. Simona only needed four games to adjust to Petra's pace and start to move the ball around (the girl has awesome skills to do that) from then on the result of the match was NID, but do not underestimate her: she outplayed Petra too (it doesn't mean to hit harder as some ppl think) continually outmaneuvering Petra, getting her out of her comfortable hitting zone and making an effortless transition from defensive to offensive.

Exc, please explain to that Venus.. that the first 4 games was not Goatra. The gurl is totally haunted, and as she didn't know who Petra was a couple of months ago, she doesn't know better.

Agree about Petra's mental approach to the matches. I am speechless seeing her general attitude (the first set against Pavs was embarrassing to watch).
On Halep I agree with you.

The first 4 games Petra played really, really well apart from not doing better on BP, maybe not GOATra but you know what i mean when i say that, especially in comparison to what came after. Maybe i should be more conservative with my use of GOATra but when she plays well so rarely it can seem like GOATra when really its just good play, and at a level she should be at for an entire match.

I've been a fan of Petra since the Semi-final defeat to Serena at wimbledon in 2010 so don't say i didn't know who she was until a couple of months ago... i follow and know more about her now is all.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #387
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of beautiful games

venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of venusinfurs has much to be proud of

Plan B could be just getting the ball over the net and in court? It's a start.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #388
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Plan B could be just getting the ball over the net and in court? It's a start.
Not really, given that she's not going to be playing herself. She'd just lose points in a more drawn out fashion. She's never going to outrun 99% of the top 100, she has to win the points or at least do something to draw an error.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #389
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
Not really, given that she's not going to be playing herself. She'd just lose points in a more drawn out fashion. She's never going to outrun 99% of the top 100, she has to win the points or at least do something to draw an error.
This is not true.

Petra has beat many of top 20 players, and won tournaments on her movement (and getting the ball over the net with Topspin), mind you top 100.

This is a misnomer people like to repeat. Usually when Petra is playing well, she's moving well, and getting to balls you never expect her to, and bringing it back with interest, or hitting a spectacular shot. She was also rallying a lot. Just think of the Hardcourt tournaments alone, she's won the past two years? That's what she was doing. The problem is Petra's lazy, or unmotivated most of the time. And doesn't gut it out all the time. Others would say she's out of shape, I guess? I think she quits as well.

And example of this, when not playing well: When she beat Penetta at the 2011 Aussie Open. Petra did not play a good game, hitting, serving and returning wise. She was up and down. However, she was a blur on the court the entire game, which compensated for it. She was an absolute energize bunny. Last year, she should have lost her first match in Montreal. But some how she gutted it out, till her opponent imploded. That An ugly match. That's what she needs to do sometimes

Plus, you don't have to move well to "gut out tournaments". Vika, Serena, Sharapova, Radwanska, etc., win tournaments all the time when their sick, injured or hurt, just on will and guile. Why? Cause most times, the lower rank player will implode, if you let them hang around long enough? You just gotta "muddy up the waters or wait". Did you check out the Stephens, Minella match yesterday? Perfect example.

Stephens played horribly. She should have lost the match several times (Minella had several match points). And after a 3-1 lead in the third set tiebreak, Minella just imploded. She couldn't handle the good fortune.

Petra just has to learn not to panic, at the first moment, when playing lower seeded/ranked players and gut out matches, even if she's not 100%.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #390
country flag Excelscior

PS/Perfect Example:

When Petra beat Kirilenko at New Haven last year. She wasn't swinging the racket as well as she was in Montreal when she beat Li Na. However, she was moving well, and hitting with Top Spin--for margin (they both even admitted they got tired in the 3rd set). But Petra gutted it out, and won a marathon. We just have a tendency to forget these things, cause she's been playing so poorly lately, and not winning.

It's in her. She's just not consistent with it, for what ever reason. Like I said, I think she's lazy, unfocused and undisciplined. Some (like Petr Pala did recently) say she's hasn't matured yet. I'll just be impolite, and call her immature. Lol