Russian GLBT community - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 9th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #31
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Russian GLBT community

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Does Russia have gay celebrities? I'm just wondering cause I'm trying to work out what general public attitude are like, leaving aside the big political element for a second.
There are quite a few. Actors, artists, fashion designers.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 9th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #32
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does Russia have gay celebrities? I'm just wondering cause I'm trying to work out what general public attitude are like, leaving aside the big political element for a second.
While I don't know of the general public attitude, because I worked primarily with affluent Muscovites, I can speak of my own experience with Russians. In my entire 2.5 years teaching in Russia, I had one openly gay student. There were several others I suspected, but who I was either wrong about or were choosing to lead a heterosexual lifestyle. Opinion about American celebrities who were quite vocally supportive of GLBT rights were very split. For example, I wouldn't expect to hear a Canadian colleague say that Lady Gaga was offensive and a bad role model for children due to her views on equal rights, but it's something I heard many times in Moscow. That being said, I got the impression that most didn't really care one way or another, because they didn't believe they were in any way directly effected by these issues. They lived their lives, and other people's problems are ... other people's problems

As for Russia having gay celebrities - there are enough celebrities in Russia that obviously they do, but I would guess that those who want to be open leave Russia. I could be wrong, though - maybe the Russian press is just flooded with support from Russian celebrities on this issue and it's somehow not making it to English press
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #33

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
There are quite a few. Actors, artists, fashion designers.
Have any of them spoken out recently?
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #34
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Have any of them spoken out recently?
I don't know. I don't follow Russian media much.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #35
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Written by extraordinarily stupid, pathetic, short-sighted selfish bastard, who is prepared to walk over the dead bodies for his personal cause.

My take - what should people who truly care about gay rights do is to come to Olympics en masses and represent what they believe in there. No demonstration, no open challenge, just be what you are - that is the best, most effective message.

Idea of boycott is no just idiotic, it's extremely selfish and goes straight against interests of those about whom the authors of the idea pretend to care. Yes, Russian people are more homophobic than we'd want them to be. Can it be changed overnight? No. And the solution is not spitting into their faces, but rather patient educational work, just the same way it happened here in West.

Russians are also very patriotic, and will consider the success of the Games as very important for them. Do something to hurt the Russian Olympics in the name of gays - practically, what you are going to get is an enormous backlash against gays in Russia. They are not liked now. Do it, and they will be hated. The result of hurting Putin's Olympics will flatter your vanity, but it will serve no purpose in your cause and will hurt exactly those people you care about,
I agree though it is sad. When Thatcher tried to boycott the Moscow games I understand it had little impact. What has impact is enlightenment. I just feel Russia has decades to go.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #36
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do something to hurt the Russian Olympics in the name of gays - practically, what you are going to get is an enormous backlash against gays in Russia. They are not liked now. Do it, and they will be hated.
You or Russia are in no position to be making threats. Russia and any country like it, needs to be told bluntly, that their actions are not tolerated. A boycott will teach them a lesson they won't forget. And while we're there stop pretending you care about gays and lesbians in Russia.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #37
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

The USSR still took 9 years to leave Afghanistan after the Moscow boycott. Also all politics is domestic so I can't see a boycott having any affect if public opinion remains the same.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
You or Russia are in no position to be making threats. Russia and any country like it, needs to be told bluntly, that their actions are not tolerated. A boycott will teach them a lesson they won't forget. And while we're there stop pretending you care about gays and lesbians in Russia.
I actually agree with ys on this. A boycott would do more harm than good. In case nobody's noticed, Russia doesn't really give a shit.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #39
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The USSR still took 9 years to leave Afghanistan after the Moscow boycott. Also all politics is domestic so I can't see a boycott having any affect if public opinion remains the same.
Of course, but the point of the boycott is to change public opinion.

ys and Crazy Canuck are basically arguing that we should not do anything with respect to Russia and its lack of gay rights because doing so would irritate the Russian people. And that irritation is positively correlated with increased mistreatment (denial of rights, safety) of gays. But neither has sufficiently justified that claim. ys just asserts that it's true without providing any evidence/argument. And Crazy Canuck claims that the boycott won't work because Russia "doesn't really give a shit". The obvious rejoinder to that is: of course Russian doesn't give a shit, but after a boycott (or some other option) has been established, there might be an increased incentive for Russia to discontinue its horrible gay rights policies.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #40
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Obviously not, quite the opposite. During its little stint as the world's dominant power (1945-2000) the US has already gone to war over plenty enough thank you very much.
Well what are you bitching about?

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #41
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post

ys and Crazy Canuck are basically arguing that we should not do anything with respect to Russia and its lack of gay rights because doing so would irritate the Russian people. And that irritation is positively correlated with increased mistreatment (denial of rights, safety) of gays. But neither has sufficiently justified that claim. ys just asserts that it's true without providing any evidence/argument. And Crazy Canuck claims that the boycott won't work because Russia "doesn't really give a shit". The obvious rejoinder to that is: of course Russian doesn't give a shit, but after a boycott (or some other option) has been established, there might be an increased incentive for Russia to discontinue its horrible gay rights policies.
It will just make the public hate the West more than they all already do. They claim the West is just petty and wants to spoil Russia's big moment.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #42
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But their points are well taken when they say that you and some others who support your position are interested in what makes you feel good. However you are not the one who will pay the price. Perhaps you believe, like some others on this board, that collateral damage is fine. As I said before you won't pay the price, but by golly as long as you feel good, to hell with the people who actually will do the suffering.

Old Aug 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #43
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
But their points are well taken when they say that you and some others who support your position are interested in what makes you feel good. However you are not the one who will pay the price. Perhaps you believe, like some others on this board, that collateral damage is fine. As I said before you won't pay the price, but by golly as long as you feel good, to hell with the people who actually will do the suffering.
I've neither said nor implied that I'm only interested in what makes me feel good. Obviously, when people are treated equally and with kindness, it makes me feel good. And it should make any decent person feel good. But, again, never have I claimed that I only support equal rights (and that Russian gays should be treated decently) solely because it makes me feel good. If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it. If not, stop talking out of your ass.

Re: collateral damage. I think that collateral damage is okay if the harm caused by the collateral damage is not as big as the good caused by it. That seems a reasonable enough position for me. Why do you disagree with it?
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #44
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

Obama has 'no patience' for Russia's anti-gay laws

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...f4d_story.html

Obama criticized Russia’s laws discriminating against gays on “The Tonight Show.” Because of the law, some have advocated a boycott of the 2014 Winter Olympics, which will be held in Sochi in February.

Saying that he had “no patience for countries that try to treat gays or lesbians or transgender persons in ways that intimidate them or are harmful to them,” Obama criticized a law, enacted in June, that prohibits public events promoting gay rights and public displays of affection by same-sex couples. A Russian official has promised that the law will be enforced during next February’s Sochi Games despite the International Olympic Committee’s contrary stance.

“One of the things I think is very important for me to speak out on is making sure that people are treated fairly and justly because that’s what we stand for, and I believe that that’s a precept that’s not unique to America,” Obama said. “That’s just something that should apply everywhere.”

Last edited by Williamsser : Aug 10th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #45
country flag HippityHop

Quote:
I've neither said nor implied that I'm only interested in what makes me feel good. Obviously, when people are treated equally and with kindness, it makes me feel good. And it should make any decent person feel good. But, again, never have I claimed that I only support equal rights (and that Russian gays should be treated decently) solely because it makes me feel good. If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it. If not, stop talking out of your ass.

Re: collateral damage. I think that collateral damage is okay if the harm caused by the collateral damage is not as big as the good caused by it. That seems a reasonable enough position for me. Why do you disagree with it?
Well I inferred that you will feel good if there is a boycott. Am I wrong?

Secondly, it's easy to say that collateral damage is okay if you are not part of the collateral damage. Again, am I wrong?