Russian GLBT community - Page 25 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:42 AM   #361
country flag jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Russian GLBT community

i have read due to situation in Russia, Wenworth Miller has officially came out of the closet (something to do with declining to participate in film festival because of recent events)
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN Éric BRUNEAU
Simply the best: Ole Einar BJØRNDALEN and JANNE AHONEN
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:44 AM   #362
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

How exactly was he being a Western apologist?

Maybe it was more aggressive than you were expecting, and maybe he pointed some really strong fingers there, but listen, I'm glad he used that platform to speak out.
shap_half is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:46 AM   #363
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interview with Masha Gessen on Huffington Post. She's an out gay journalist who has since left Russia:

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/seg...8c2a4c13000171
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:54 AM   #364
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

He approves of the detention of Bradley Manning, hates Gideon Levy and seems to be friendly with Greg Gutfield. Thats what I got from his twitter feed and blog alone. So yes he is a typical Western apologist.

Does he even know Gutfield has said a lot of homophobic shit or does he ignore that so he can have friendly tweet banter with him

RT do a better journalistic job that he does, when he cheerleads the establishment they try to challenge it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:59 AM   #365
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
Wow. He's actually out now.

Too bad he's let himself go physically...

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:04 AM   #366
country flag shap_half

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
He approves of the detention of Bradley Manning, hates Gideon Levy and seems to be friendly with Greg Gutfield. Thats what I got from his twitter feed and blog alone. So yes he is a typical Western apologist.

Does he even know Gutfield has said a lot of homophobic shit or does he ignore that so he can have friendly tweet banter with him

RT do a better journalistic job that he does, when he cheerleads the establishment they try to challenge it.
I don't agree with everything he says, especially as I've read a few of his articles as he's posted them on Facebook, but I don't have any issues with what he did here. RT might be only platform in Russia that he could have done this in so I reckon why not take the opportunity?
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:17 AM   #367
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Well RT in English doesn't even broadcast to Russia so his "protest" was just to the English language world that already knows whats going on and his beef with RT goes beyond this law.

RT offers different perspectives on news stories, it is often the only English language media outlet (along with possibly Al Jazeera) to offer any kind of alternative to NATO-IMF-Western policies in the world, but in this moron's world that means it must be "lying" about the US. No it just reports the facts he doesn't bother to.

RT hasn't even been anti-gay in its broadcasting, it has often been the opposite.

His statement here is like the Israeli policy of appealing to the LGBT community worldwide to distract from the plight of Palestinians and portray them as the good guys and Arabs as bad. He tries to cover his shitty journalism by being an LGBT activist. Well it in no way redeems him in my eyes.

When it comes to gay journalists he can take his place about 100 miles behind Glenn Greenwald.

At least Wentworth Miller is sincere in his protest he hasn't some axe to grind.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:32 AM   #368
country flag shap_half

I don't know if this dude has an axe to grind. And as far as I know, which is very little, about RT - it's funded by the Russian government. Maybe they have a more liberal approach to their coverage, but if the Kremlin is indeed involved with its funding, I reckon it's as good a place as any to lodge a protest. And from what I understand, it is also one of the most watched channels in the world so even if it's mostly geared towards a foreign audience, you have Russians in other countries who may agree with the current political climate in the homeland watching RT so reaching that audience is not necessarily a wasted effort.

Listen, I read his article about Israel and how the country is potentially using its gay-friendly atmosphere to hide all its other prejudices. And I don't really agree with his platform there, but I approve of his tirade on RT. Let's just leave it at that.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:38 AM   #369
*Sesil*

Almost all European governments fund the main channel in their respective countries. In Ireland its RTE, in Spain TVE, in Sweden SVT, in Italy RAI, in UK BBC etc. All are funded entirely or mostly from taxpayers and the government.

France 24 is funded by the French government how RT is by the Russian. If I had issues with Sarkozy back in the day I wouldn't have used a platform on France 24 dealing with a separate issue to air these problems.

If he was a journalist who previous had a similar editorial stance to RT I could say he was doing it for more reasons than just to attack a TV network he already disliked.

RT has a Russian language channel that is somewhat more pro-Putin than its English one but that is similar to how Al Jazeera in Arabic differs from its English counterpart.

Last edited by KournikovaFan91 : Aug 22nd, 2013 at 02:43 AM.
KournikovaFan91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM   #370
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
Just for my knowledge. Has anyone, on record, achieved that thing you guys are talking about? That "moksha" thing?
moksha is a belief like many beliefs in this world......it may or may not be true like most beliefs......people are ready to believe in god without ever witnessing anything even remotely like god......so i see no point in picking on a much smaller belief like moksha.....

i don't know if you heard about some cases in the past where a woman recollected her past(previous birth) in a country and cultural background which were totally different to her present region......another case where a small girl behaved like a 80 year old and people were shocked to know the girl was right with some of the details of her previous birth......

i don't mean to affirm with 100% certainty that moksha exists but even if you believe that if a man is dead, his spirit/soul too is dead with it......then doesn't that only mean moksha once again?

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 09:14 AM   #371
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
i have read due to situation in Russia, Wenworth Miller has officially came out of the closet (something to do with declining to participate in film festival because of recent events)
Didn't he came out years ago?!
ivanban is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 11:21 PM   #372
*Sesil*

To his friends and everyone around him yes he was out, like Anderson Cooper but never actually announced it. But we all knew
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 05:59 AM   #373
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

This whole Russia thing is bad for Russian GLBT and that's terrible, but elsewhere can anyone else see it's having a positive effect in some ways? Gays around the world will be looking at it and thinking 'this is wrong' and if anything it will inspire more pride, not less.

And the main event, the Olympics isn't even underway yet. I expect a lot more people, gays included will step forward over the next while .

Come Along If You Need A Break From Tennis, But Want To Stay On TF.
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:21 PM   #374
country flag shap_half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
This whole Russia thing is bad for Russian GLBT and that's terrible, but elsewhere can anyone else see it's having a positive effect in some ways? Gays around the world will be looking at it and thinking 'this is wrong' and if anything it will inspire more pride, not less.
Yes, nothing says let's-stick-together than watching people like you get oppressed.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #375
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

It's so heartbreaking seeing what is happening in Russia. I pray that people can find kindness in their hearts, and if not then just tolerance.

While I agree that people are allowed to have their own opinions and cultures, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

In regards to the whole eastern vs western culture: the problem is with the intolerance of the LGBT community. The whole woman in the kitchen and men bringing home the bacon is irrelevant because no one is threatened or feels unsafe. The fact is that these are innocent human beings and their treatment is disgusting.

In regards to that athlete saying that other athletes should follow local rules: that is completely fine, you can believe whatever you believe. The problem is that you can come into other countries and feel welcome and safe but LGBT athletes coming into Russia for the Olympics this year will not be afforded the same hospitality.

It's always disappointing when the Olympics games are tainted with these controversies. While I won't be watching the upcoming Olympics, I'm excited to see if any good will come out of it. I hope athletes will step into the spotlight and stand for LGBT rights. I'll be looking out especially for Johnny Weir if he competes.

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Hampton. Bouchard. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote