Simona's & other Top 12 Players' points to defend in 2015, split by quarter-season - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 16th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #1
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute
Simona's & other Top 12 Players' points to defend in 2015, split by quarter-season

I split the points counted in 2014 into 4 roughly equal time periods - up to & including IW (11 weeks); then up to & including RG (12 weeks); then up to & including Cincy (10 weeks); then up to & including Sofia (11 weeks).

Since many of the tournaments have moved by a week in 2015 it would have been too fiddly to work it out based on 2015 dates, but I hope it still stands as a useful guide to how Simona and other players could move up/down the rankings in 2015.

My source was http://www.tennis4wta.com/Siralama/s1_50.html.

The percentages are the percentage of the player's total 2014 points earned in that period. They may not add up to 100 due to rounding up/down.

1st quarter of season up to end of Indian Wells 2014 (Corresponding 2015 date - 16 Mar):
S Williams 895 (11%)
Sharapova 675 (10%)
Halep 1720 (27%)
Kvitova 505 (8%)
Ivanovic 775 (16%)
A Radwanska 1780 (37%)
Bouchard 960 (20%)
Wozniacki 435 (9%)
Kerber 1140 (33%)
Cibulkova 1896 (62%)
Makarova 585 (20%)
Pennetta 1555 (54%)

2nd quarter of season up to end of Roland Garros 2014 (Corresponding 2015 date - 8 Jun):
S Williams 2185 (26%)
Sharapova 3965 (56%)
Halep 2055 (33%)
Kvitova 735 (12%)
Ivanovic 1400 (29%)
A Radwanska 1135 (24%)
Bouchard 1325 (28%)
Wozniacki 290 (6%)
Kerber 465 (13%)
Cibulkova 710 (23%)
Makarova 320 (11%)
Pennetta 305 (11%)

3rd quarter of season up to end of Cincy 2014 (Corresponding 2015 date - 17 Aug):
S Williams 1850 (22%)
Sharapova 695 (10%)
Halep 1280 (20%)
Kvitova 2206 (37%)
Ivanovic 1185 (25%)
A Radwanska 1330 (28%)
Bouchard 1300 (28%)
Wozniacki 1245 (27%)
Kerber 1250 (36%)
Cibulkova 190 (6%)
Makarova 1050 (35%)
Pennetta 230 (8%)

4th quarter of season up to end of Sofia 2014 (Corresponding 2015 date - 2 Nov):
S Williams 3555 (42%)
Sharapova 1715 (24%)
Halep 1237 (20%)
Kvitova 2520 (42%)
Ivanovic 1460 (30%)
A Radwanska 565 (12%)
Bouchard 1130 (24%)
Wozniacki 2655 (57%)
Kerber 625 (18%)
Cibulkova 256 (8%)
Makarova 1015 (34%)
Pennetta 771 (27%)

As a reminder, here's the YE 2014 rankings:
1. S Williams 8485
2. Sharapova 7050
3. Halep 6292
4. Kvitova 5966
5. Ivanovic 4820
6. A Radwanska 4810
7. Bouchard 4715
8. Wozniacki 4625
9. Kerber 3480
10. Cibulkova 3052
11. Makarova 2970
12. Pennetta 2861

Last edited by CheddarChomper : Dec 16th, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
CheddarChomper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 16th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #2
country flag CristianB8

CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future
Re: Simona's & other Top 12 Players' points to defend in 2015, split by quarter-seaso

This stats show that Simona fully deserves her 3rd spot in WTA (even if in the USA she could have done much better, or in China)
My opinion is that her goal next year should be winning a GS and after that the 1st place, if it's possible, of course
But more important, to stay healthy

Simona Halep!
CristianB8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #3
country flag MrWeezyFr

MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light MrWeezyFr is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Simona's & other Top 12 Players' points to defend in 2015, split by quarter-seaso

Superb work Gavin !! WOW

I try my best just to get away, But you pulled me closer
You're something wild I can never tame, And you're taking over
All my thoughts and the words are same, Never seem to matter
You're the drug running through my veins, And the crash right after
Adventure Club
MrWeezyFr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #4
country flag Mytzu

Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold

Great job, Gavin!
At first sight, Simona has a lot of points to defend in all 4 quarters, but we need to have in mind that Simona scored more than 100 points in only 12 tournaments (of 16 that count) this year. That gives a lot of room for improvement in tournaments like Miami, Eastbourne/Birmingham, Wuhan, Toronto (I really hope she'll play in Canada next year) or even P470 tournaments, even if she can't defend all of her points in the GS or other tournaments where she scored big points. She set her goal for being again in Singapore next year, so it won't be that hard. She'll give her best in the GS and I really hope she manages to get at least one. She is capable of winning any of them (maybe Wimbledon is harder), which gives her 4 shots for next year. She just has not to put pressure on herself and play her game (even more aggressively).
Mytzu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #5
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute

2015 will be a real test for Halep. She's got to be even all year long... In other words, she has to play like a top-10 all year, or the gap will widen between her and the top group. Not necessarily that she will fall out of the top-10; because I don't see the players below her gaining lots of points.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #6
country flag Razzy

Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light Razzy is a glorious beacon of light
Great work, Cheddar. Thanks !
A few notes:

1. Simona has a very balanced number of points to defend throughout the next year in each season. Similar to Ivanovic and Bouchard, and very dissimilar from all the others.

2. Simona needs to start 2015 well, as there will be pressure to maintain her current position (rank and /or proximity) from Kvitova, Sharapova and Serena.

3. If she handles well H1. Simona can do a lot of damage in H2.
Razzy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #7
country flag NatP
🔴⚫️

NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future

for me, like I said in GM, I thing simona will be out of top5 at the beggining of the year because Maria, Caro, Petra, Ana have nothing to defend and Simona had AO quarter and Doha and after the clay season her and Maria have a lot of points to defend but not Caro, Petra and Ana.

So yep probably top6 after RG and then, she will have not that much points to defend actually (except Singapore of course).

Oops, I forgot the Wimby semi Well, she always have a tournament with a lot of points to defend :/ We'll see.

Zvonareva Halep AK.Schmiedlova Jankovic Bencic Sharapova Robson
Tsonga Nishikori Del Potro Nadal Gulbis Cilic Berdych
Hingis Clijsters Dementieva Kournikova Davenport
NatP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #8
country flag george2210

george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold george2210 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatP View Post
for me, like I said in GM, I thing simona will be out of top5 at the beggining of the year because Maria, Caro, Petra, Ana have nothing to defend and Simona had AO quarter and Doha and after the clay season her and Maria have a lot of points to defend but not Caro, Petra and Ana.

So yep probably top6 after RG and then, she will have not that much points to defend actually (except Singapore of course).

Oops, I forgot the Wimby semi Well, she always have a tournament with a lot of points to defend :/ We'll see.
I think she will be Top5 for the entire season. Why not No 1 after RG?
george2210 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #9
country flag mido1988

mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of mido1988 has much to be proud of

Thanks Cheddar for great work ( as usual ) Like what Mytzu said , Simona have many tournaments to gain points .. This is the advantage from her on-off pattern this year .. If she doesn't do well in Dubai , she has Doha .. The same as Iw,Miami , Madrid,Rome .. And after Wimbledon she defends very few points till YEC .. Maybe RG,Wimbly are the most difficult to defend their points considering she defends many points in 2 slams in relatively short period .. Simona also cab add points from the 470 points tournaments as she almost have no points from them this year .. So I'm not worried about the ranking , My concern is Simona's performance .. And If it happens and she fell in ranking for some reason she is able to comeback If she plays well ..

Simna Halep
mido1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #10
country flag Mytzu

Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold Mytzu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by george2210 View Post
I think she will be Top5 for the entire season. Why not No 1 after RG?
I think it's a very small chance for Simona to be No.1 after RG (because Simona has more points (3775) to defend than Serena (3080) in the first half of the year), but Simona is capable of winning RG and stay in top5 at least.
Mytzu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote