Sorana -- Road to the USO 2013! - Page 22 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 12th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #316
country flag ALIEN

ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold
Re: Sorana -- Road to the USO 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post
I don't know why all people keep on saying this.

She has reached a QF at RG a couple of years ago without those and if you have a closer look at her ranking breakdown you see that it's also more or less her consistency in the Grandslams that has kept her ranking inside the Top 30.

I don't deny though, that her coaches had a positive influence on her this week.
It's pretty obvious that she is having feelings for Cahill. Whenever he came up on court, she played a lot better in the following games. That reminded me a lot of Safina and Krajan back in the day.

When she got destroyed out there yesterday, she felt embarrassed, in front of the crowd, but also in front of her coaches. She is always high on emotions and is taking losses like this personally.

I hope she won't be too harsh with herself.
A couple of years? You mean 4 years ago, and she hasn't done anything since. I've said it before, in my opinion, it will take a few years probably, before she stops fearing the other girls and stops being so emotional - if she ever matures. I mean get a grip already girl, your not 10 years old anymore!!
I didn't have much confidence in her with this final and she played as expected: she just hit the ball hard in the middle of Serena's court for the most part. Plus what else bothers me she doesn't know what a drop shot is, her net play is disastrous(like a top 700 player) and her 1st serve doesn't exist(with rare exceptions).That's why I don't like her game that much. But I guess you can win a lot even if you are just a successful ball basher(just look at Sharapova). Just don't be a nervous wreck anymore.
And I never expect her to ever win against Serena, maybe when the American will be forty or injured or something, so this tournament has been a successful one at the end of the day.
ALIEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 12th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #317
country flag oliverdescants

oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all

Quote:

I don't deny though, that her coaches had a positive influence on her this week.
It's pretty obvious that she is having feelings for Cahill.
For those for whom English is not a first-language, perhaps this idiom is not bothersome, but the implication of the quote above, in its English idiom, is that Cirstea's feelings for Cahill are erotic. I don't actually think that's the case. Her feelings for Cahill may be fatherly. Nonetheless, I witnessed what everyone else on ESPN 2 witnessed, which is a highly emotional perfectionism turned against itself as she was taking a drubbing at the hands of Serena. Cahill could do nothing to dispel it, father or not.

If anyone thinks that kind of emotionalism is going to make it happen at the Majors (QF at RG aside), I've got news for you. But it worries me in Simona Halep, too, whose self-directed temperament on the court can also get to be a problem.
oliverdescants is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #318
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN View Post
A couple of years? You mean 4 years ago, and she hasn't done anything since. I've said it before, in my opinion, it will take a few years probably, before she stops fearing the other girls and stops being so emotional - if she ever matures. I mean get a grip already girl, your not 10 years old anymore!!
I didn't have much confidence in her with this final and she played as expected: she just hit the ball hard in the middle of Serena's court for the most part. Plus what else bothers me she doesn't know what a drop shot is, her net play is disastrous(like a top 700 player) and her 1st serve doesn't exist(with rare exceptions).That's why I don't like her game that much. But I guess you can win a lot even if you are just a successful ball basher(just look at Sharapova). Just don't be a nervous wreck anymore.
And I never expect her to ever win against Serena, maybe when the American will be forty or injured or something, so this tournament has been a successful one at the end of the day.
I have to defend Sorana here. A slam QF is some kind of achievement and more than 90% of all players on the tour will ever achieve.
She played some great tennis in those two weeks. She has the game, may it likeable or not, but at the current low state of the WTA she can achieve a lot of success.
I mean she just played a Tier I Final, that's awesome! She is still one of the youngest players in the Top 30. At her age, the Roberta Vincis and Flipkens of the WTA were some journeywomen who were lucky if they won matches at this level not even talking about reaching the latter stages.

She certainly has a lot of room for improvement in those areas and I'm sure that she will work and improve in those areas, but you just can't say to someone. 'Don't be that emotionally involved anymore!'

It just won't happen. You can't make an emotional or expressive player being cold like a stone or the other way around. It has to come by experience.

Another possibility would be to use her emotions positively whenever possible, to be enthusiastic and fired up on a good day. The key is to control them on an off day.

Bottom line is that one will never predict how a player's career will end, but to say that she doesn't have the talent to make it is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdescants View Post
For those for whom English is not a first-language, perhaps this idiom is not bothersome, but the implication of the quote above, in its English idiom, is that Cirstea's feelings for Cahill are erotic. I don't actually think that's the case. Her feelings for Cahill may be fatherly. Nonetheless, I witnessed what everyone else on ESPN 2 witnessed, which is a highly emotional perfectionism turned against itself as she was taking a drubbing at the hands of Serena. Cahill could do nothing to dispel it, father or not.
I purposely let the interpretation of 'having feelings' open. Of course mainly fatherly, but in such cases the lines are blurring.

She got embarrassed, but then again we are talking about a player who is more or less embarrassing the whole WTA tour right now including players like a hard hitting Sharapova or a clever Errani who are both at this point superior to Sorana.

Comparing her to Serena would lead us nowhere. She needs to take it step by step and compare herself at first with other Top 20 players and she did extremely well with them this week.

Quote:
If anyone thinks that kind of emotionalism is going to make it happen at the Majors (QF at RG aside), I've got news for you. But it worries me in Simona Halep, too, whose self-directed temperament on the court can also get to be a problem.

This lady disagrees with you.

It's nonsense to say that emotion won't bring you far in majors, the top players on the ATP are all extremely emotional, but they can control them and use them to get pumped up when neccessary, Sorana can't and this is the thing.

Even Zvonareva, undoubtedly the biggest nutcase in the history of the game has 2 slam finals on her side and even though she lost badly in both of them it was mainly because she as well, simply met superior players there and got outplayed.

However, the first video also shows the differences between Vera and Sorana that you were noticing as well. Zvonareva lets her negative emotions out and plays freely afterwards, Sorana is piling them up inside herself and completely implodes afterwards (Marrakesh R1, anyone?)

The problem in Sorana's case is that we have high emotions and moody play meeting an instable ballbashing game which has mess written all over to begin with. She is in a difficult position, but I see this lost final and the reactions afterwards as another step in her development of a tennis player and as a human in general.

Simona as well may look frustrated at times and she had moments at the start of this year, when things weren't working at all and she was just throwing in the towel, but things has changed rapidly in her regard. No way she is as vulnerable to emotional breakdowns than Sorana.

Last edited by Curcubeu : Aug 12th, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #319
country flag ALIEN

ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold ALIEN is a splendid one to behold

Hmm, Sorana in love - that would be the end of a tennis career!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdescants View Post
No, I think Simona's biggest issues in the past have been her coach, injuries and fatigue problems.I'm not sure about the temperament part, she always seemed very focused and determined.I've even heard a couple of times on TV from a Romanian commentator (and I think he is a coach too)how he witnessed her, as a junior, play with a broken finger because she wanted to win a match so bad.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #320
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely, Simona seems frustrated and pissy at times, but that's understandable and not as distracting as the involvement other players feel during every point of the match.

Simona and Sorana both have a different understanding of the game. They are both ambitious, but as different when it comes to personalities as players from one nation can be.

Simona doesn't want to see anything made by accident. She has strong conceptions and ideas how her career should be and she sticks to them. She is much more logical in that regard than Sorana.
When she saw that the work with Tomai didn't pay off and didn't allow her to play the way she wants to play, she dropped him and looked for a new coach which was the best decision she has ever made.
Then again, she doesn't appear as a player who is always aware of her body and its limits. She is easily that kind of person who would die for success on the tennis court and even go beyond the doable. She overplayed as well by entering Bastad, but it was natural to her to make as much as possible out of her current form.

Sorana seems to be more in tune with the limits of her physics and body. She is playing a well-balanced schedule and tries to harmonize her profession as a tennis player with her spare-time and the dreams and wishes a young lady at this age usually has.
She on the other hand tends towards delusion or illogical acts, may it be on the tennis court or in interviews where it needed her a year to realize that she was on the verge of fading away into the ITF circuit while she was still talking about beating Wozniacki the next time she meets her.
Her decision-making is much more based on emotions and personal values, that's why it also seems hard for her to not get too much involved with all the stuff that is going on around her as she is really impressionable.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #321
country flag ALIEN

Quote:
I have to defend Sorana here. A slam QF is some kind of achievement and more than 90% of all players on the tour will ever achieve.
She played some great tennis in those two weeks. She has the game, may it likeable or not, but at the current low state of the WTA she can achieve a lot of success.
I don't know about you, but like I've said before, I want to see some trophies in her hand.Nothing else matters. You think anybody will respect a player like her or will remember her in the future if all she wins are a few QF's and semifinals. But let's see if she continues to improve like she did these past few weeks ... I have a dose of skepticism as I know you have.
Quote:
I mean she just played a Tier I Final, that's awesome! She is still one of the youngest players in the Top 30. At her age, the Roberta Vincis and Flipkens of the WTA were some journeywomen who were lucky if they won matches at this level not even talking about reaching the latter stages.
At her age other girls already had multiple Grand Slam titles, and nobody really cares about players like Vinci and Flipkens if you ask me.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #322
country flag Curcubeu

So, players are now only reduced to the trophies they are winning? This is a shallow statement (to me).

I mean I wouldn't post in here if I didn't want to see her becoming a great player, but let's stay realistic here. This has been the first week since forever in which she was able to play decent tennis for nearly a whole week, this in fact is a monumental step forward.
And posting on TF I'm also very aware that not all players are well liked, but this board can be quite a cesspit at times and a lack of respect for other players who are living their dreams while most people are just frustrated with their lives and use GM as an outlet shouldn't come as a surprise now.

Only a couple of elite player will win slams, that's why the slams are what they are and you are also right if you say that only those will be remembered throughout time, but I see my fandom being more than just counting the trophies players I support have won and I'm very well able to look and see slamless player that were quite decent.

Coming from a country which is currently finding itself at an all time low in nearly every main sport discipline, Sorana's successes even if they are small ones are still good enough to make the news and inspire a new generation of tennis players. We should be happy that she is somehow living up to her successes as a junior which seems a rarity in the Romanian sports world and not only in tennis.

Thus said, Sorana will need a perfect two weeks, tons of luck and a further upgrade of her game to win a slam.

There is no need for more discussion on this topic, because it's basically evolving around two different understandings of supporting a player. The more success orientated, materialistic one vs. the more idealistic.
Both have their advantages and both their flaws.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #323
country flag ALIEN

Quote:
There is no need for more discussion on this topic, because it's basically evolving around two different understandings of supporting a player. The more success orientated, materialistic one vs. the more idealistic.
Both have their advantages and both their flaws.
I was careful to emphasize that what I have written in my posts is my personal opinion, of course. This is what I believe and think and everybody is welcomed to their own opinion.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #324
country flag noname29

noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all noname29 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN View Post

What's your problem with her ​​emotions and crying ?
Everyone cries,(maybe less psycho) and for various reasons.. it's natural. Myke Tyson, Federer, k1 tough guys in tears, not to mention Serena, who has a very strong mentality, but at the same time it's very emotional.. perhaps more than Sorana.

I don't really like her style of play, it's a little impulsive, but not all can be cerebral as Errani or Radwanska.
Anyway in terms of personality I prefer sorana, crying or smiling.. but genuine.
noname29 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #325
country flag ALIEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname29 View Post
What's your problem with her ​​emotions and crying ?
Everyone cries,(maybe less psycho) and for various reasons.. it's natural. Myke Tyson, Federer, k1 tough guys in tears, not to mention Serena, who has a very strong mentality, but at the same time it's very emotional.. perhaps more than Sorana.

I don't really like her style of play, it's a little impulsive, but not all can be cerebral as Errani or Radwanska.
Anyway in terms of personality I prefer sorana, crying or smiling.. but genuine.
I never said anything about crying - I don't care what she does before or after a match. All I'm saying is it's going to take some time for her to fully control her anxiety on court. She managed to do that somewhat last week and we all saw the great results. I hope she will keep it that way.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #326
country flag overrule

overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold

Sori wears her heart on her sleeve. That's one of the reasons why I like her, even though it may hurt her in tight matches. Her face is so open that I can almost hear the thoughts coming out of her head between points. I think most of the crowd recognizes this, too, which is why she usually gets support from the majority of the crowd.

She just needs to keep more of the negative feelings away, and I think she showed that she is learning to do this..
overrule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #327
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

Withdrew from Cincinnati and let Niculescu in.
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #328
country flag Belle de Jour

Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future

Old Aug 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #329
country flag Curcubeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
Withdrew from Cincinnati and let Niculescu in.
It all makes sense now.

Would have got trashed anyway I assume.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #330
country flag grs

grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of

This is not fair, not fair at all Sorana had her best week when I was in holiday with a limited access to internet. But I was so happy with her results. Congrats girl
grs is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote