Difficulties between Williams' sisters fans - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
country flag Le Chat

Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute
Difficulties between Williams' sisters fans

Do you think that the relationship Serena and Venus have on court reflects on the "relationships" the Williams sisters fans have on TF ? we have all noticed how contend the sisters are when they play each other, no fistspump , no come ons , no protests to the umpire .
How do you deal with when you are a Serena-only fan , a Venus-only fan or a Williams'sister fan ?. If you hate one or the other , do you have no problem to express it publicly or do you restrain yourself with an unconscious "i have to be respectful" .

I kind of restrain myself unconsciously even if i know deep inside me i don't like Venus'game . I would also have the tendency to restrain against another Serena's fan or even Venus .
Le Chat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2
country flag Zweli

Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of Zweli has much to be proud of
Re: Difficulties between Williams' sisters fans

It's def the opposite,they are sisters ,we are only fans, people are bound to choose one over the other due to what they like about each of them, i.e personality, the style of play etc.Fortunately , I like them both, however ,it is the fans themselves that create the atmosphere amongst themselves, for an example Venus only fans are sceptical about those of us who are neutral, they are possessive ,I am talking from experience, I sarcastically got ridiculed for posting on Venus forum ,I was only cheering her up for a match she was playing, and one of her fans said something as if I was not meant to be there,so I stopped even though I remain her fan.Some of Serena only fans are very defensive on her behalf, some are tolerant ,some are very confrontational including me that's what causes difficulties in my opinion, I hope we can unite but I know it's a wishful thinking.
Zweli is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
country flag NewMember

NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold

I remember hearing of the sisters when I was younger and being happy for their collective success. To me they were always a unit. I was more happy for the family as a whole because I always felt that it was a group effort and admired how they stayed united and never publicly disrespected one another.

I did not follow their careers early. I always wished them the best and was proud to know that two young ladies who looked like me were excelling in their field, against great obstacles. I favor Serena's candidness and her unguarded honesty, she is who she is and she shows it. However, I love Venus' resolve and how she carries herself. Two different personalities but both strong, smart and driven.

The first match that really drew me to tennis was Venus' 2005 Wimbledon victory. She had such unbridled joy and it transcended sport, it was more about humanity and triumph in the face of adversity, it was great. That is what Venus and Serena represent to me, triumph against all odds. And their have been so many instances of triumph in their careers.

I don't think that Serena would be the same if not for Venus and I believe the same can be said of Venus. Having siblings to share your life with is enormous and it should not be disregarded. I personally have distaste for the squabbles between the fan bases, I just don't understand how you can love one and hate the other. I can understand loving one and disliking the other, but how can you discard the effect that one has had on the other, they are linked to each others' success and survival in a field that has been hostile to them.

I think when you really care about a person and have their best interest at heart you show, at minimum, respect for those who are important to them, even if you don't like said persons.
NewMember is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4
country flag Le Chat

Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute Le Chat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys for your well detailed responses . And Zweli i know i can be defensive about Serena .
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #5
country flag NewMember

NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chat View Post
Thank you guys for your well detailed responses . And Zweli i know i can be defensive about Serena .
I get defensive about the two also, it seems more often the case with Serena because she is criticized more often of late. I think that is why I am so protective of them, because they seem to get the short end of the stick and there is so much racially tinged nonsense which only fuels the defensiveness, lol.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
country flag wtennisphan

wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMember View Post
I remember hearing of the sisters when I was younger and being happy for their collective success. To me they were always a unit. I was more happy for the family as a whole because I always felt that it was a group effort and admired how they stayed united and never publicly disrespected one another.

I did not follow their careers early. I always wished them the best and was proud to know that two young ladies who looked like me were excelling in their field, against great obstacles. I favor Serena's candidness and her unguarded honesty, she is who she is and she shows it. However, I love Venus' resolve and how she carries herself. Two different personalities but both strong, smart and driven.

The first match that really drew me to tennis was Venus' 2005 Wimbledon victory. She had such unbridled joy and it transcended sport, it was more about humanity and triumph in the face of adversity, it was great. That is what Venus and Serena represent to me, triumph against all odds. And their have been so many instances of triumph in their careers.

I don't think that Serena would be the same if not for Venus and I believe the same can be said of Venus. Having siblings to share your life with is enormous and it should not be disregarded. I personally have distaste for the squabbles between the fan bases, I just don't understand how you can love one and hate the other. I can understand loving one and disliking the other, but how can you discard the effect that one has had on the other, they are linked to each others' success and survival in a field that has been hostile to them.

I think when you really care about a person and have their best interest at heart you show, at minimum, respect for those who are important to them, even if you don't like said persons.
I completely agree. I wonder that myself.
wtennisphan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #7
country flag Le Chat

Quote:

All these strong feelings against one sister and the other started when Serena got her first Slam , it was like the crime of lèse-majesté , remember the bitterness of Venus when Serena won the USOPEN , she wasn't even smiling .
When Serena overtook Venus for the first time , Venus fans began to show their true colors .
But the very different style of play and personality is the main factor here .
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #8
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtennisphan View Post
I completely agree. I wonder that myself.
Same here. I don't understand why some people could hate one or the other. Especially given that they both want what's best for the other. They are each other's biggest supporters/cheerleaders.

*B
artoli*Haynes *A.Bondarenko*Safarova*Zheng*

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Blake*Baghdatis*Safin*Monfils*Moya*

*Santoro*Mirnyi*Tsonga*Young*Gulbis*Murray*

Last edited by Bijoux0021 : Jul 19th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Bijoux0021 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #9
country flag NewMember

Quote:
All these strong feelings against one sister and the other started when Serena got her first Slam , it was like the crime of lèse-majesté , remember the bitterness of Venus when Serena won the USOPEN , she wasn't even smiling .
When Serena overtook Venus for the first time , Venus fans began to show their true colors .
But the very different style of play and personality is the main factor here .
As I said before, I am a late comer to tennis compared to many on the board. I have seen the 1999 US Open final and observed the sight of Venus at the time of Serena's victory, I understand how some may believe that she was bitter, but really no one knows exactly what was going through her mind.

I mean Serena, her little sister, had done something that she had failed to do two years prior, and she did it against the same opponent and on the same stage. I am sure reflections of that 1997 final were in her mind as well as sadness over her not reaching the level that she wanted to reach.

Sometimes in life when someone has success it can remind you of your failings, and it can sadden you, that does not mean you begrudge them their triumph, it just means that you wish you had done things differently. Also, Serena's win was a huge accomplishment for that entire family and even for black tennis in general, so perhaps Venus was taken aback by the gravity of the moment, who knows.

I just hate for someone to use one sister to bash the other. They both have provided so many awesome matches and memories over the years and really transformed the game. No one has to like either of them but I think they both deserve respect for what they have done for the sport.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #10
country flag Le Chat

Quote:
As I said before, I am a late comer to tennis compared to many on the board. I have seen the 1999 US Open final and observed the sight of Venus at the time of Serena's victory, I understand how some may believe that she was bitter, but really no one knows exactly what was going through her mind.

I mean Serena, her little sister, had done something that she had failed to do two years prior, and she did it against the same opponent and on the same stage. I am sure reflections of that 1997 final were in her mind as well as sadness over her not reaching the level that she wanted to reach.

Sometimes in life when someone has success it can remind you of your failings, and it can sadden you, that does not mean you begrudge them their triumph, it just means that you wish you had done things differently. Also, Serena's win was a huge accomplishment for that entire family and even for black tennis in general, so perhaps Venus was taken aback by the gravity of the moment, who knows.

I just hate for someone to use one sister to bash the other. They both have provided so many awesome matches and memories over the years and really transformed the game. No one has to like either of them but I think they both deserve respect for what they have done for the sport.
Nah i completely agree with you here , i don't think Venus thought badly about serena that day , she was just sad that she failed to do it 2 years earlier , but still was proud of her .
I should not have said "bitter" but "sad" .
There are more bitterness between fans though .
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #11
country flag NewMember

Quote:
Nah i completely agree with you here , i don't think Venus thought badly about serena that day , she was just sad that she failed to do it 2 years earlier , but still was proud of her .
I should not have said "bitter" but "sad" .
There are more bitterness between fans though .
In truth it seems a lot of this bitterness or ill-will between the fan bases is less about the sisters and more about the discontentment of some fans who vicariously live through them or who are just unhappy and need to belittle someone else to make themselves feel better.

I just hate the derision between the two bases because there has always been so much ill-will for both sisters by the masses. I also hate when they pit one black person against the other, that whack!
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #12
country flag wtennisphan

wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future

Quote:
In truth it seems a lot of this bitterness or ill-will between the fan bases is less about the sisters and more about the discontentment of some fans who vicariously live through them or who are just unhappy and need to belittle someone else to make themselves feel better.

I just hate the derision between the two bases because there has always been so much ill-will for both sisters by the masses. I also hate when they pit one black person against the other, that whack!
Wow! Preach!
wtennisphan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #13
country flag NewMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtennisphan View Post
Wow! Preach!
Thanks.

Glad you feel the same.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #14
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

NewMember, I LOVE your posts.

*B
artoli*Haynes *A.Bondarenko*Safarova*Zheng*

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Blake*Baghdatis*Safin*Monfils*Moya*

*Santoro*Mirnyi*Tsonga*Young*Gulbis*Murray*
Bijoux0021 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #15
country flag ampers&
Senior Bitch.

ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe ya'll should take this weak conversation to Planet Neptune.
ampers& is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote