Russia says it will arrest openly gay tourists - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute
Russia says it will arrest openly gay tourists

Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists

Thinking of taking a vacation to Europe this summer? If a trip to iconic city of Moscow or the edgier St. Petersburg is on your bucket list, an anti-gay law recently passed in Russia may have you thinking again. It is now outlawed to be ‘out and proud.’

In a throwback to the country’s authoritarian ruling, Russian president Vladimir Putin has signed a controversial law that punishes people for “homosexual propaganda.” The law fines people—including tourists—up to 200,000 rubles ($6,240 CDN) for “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations.” For Canadians—where same-sex marriage is legal—it is unfathomable that Russia’s laws permit the government to arrest and detain gay, or pro-gay, foreigners for up to 14 days before they would then be expelled from the country.

So what is considered pro-gay? Anything from gay-affirmative speech to hand-holding; even displaying a rainbow flag alongside a maple leaf on your backpack is illegal. Recently in southern Russia, there were complaints that Elton John’s stage outfits fell under “gay propaganda.” While LGBT are being told they are unwelcome in Russia, with such vague definitions, one wonders if anyone who even looks like they might be gay could also be fined or deported from the country.

According to Voice of Russia, any display of affection between same-sex couples could cause a “distorted understanding” that gay relations and heterosexual relations are socially equivalent, and risk spreading Western liberalism. Putin claims the law doesn’t discriminate against LGBT people, but rather—in an argument riddled with faulty logic—is there to “protect children from pedophilia.”

With Gay Pride celebrated around the world, from Sydney, Australia, to Toronto, and with same-sex marriage currently legal in 13 countries with still more countries, including New Zealand and Uruguay, following suit, it is difficult to image a country voting to enact such uncompromising and harsh laws.

And how are these new laws going to impact tourism and the world’s spotlight on the upcoming 2014 Winter Games in Sochi? Will LGBT visitors—or anyone who embraces the gay community—want to visit the games? While Russia’s laws stigmatize and target the gay community, Brazil’s Ministry of Tourism is working to encourage the LGBT community to visit. Brazil, which is hosting the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, as well as the 2014 World Cup.

Fortunately, for LGBT travellers looking to take a vacation, there are other parts of the world more receptive to welcoming them with open arms—or at least not promising your vacation could wind up with jail time. Air Canada has gay and lesbian travel packages to places as diverse as Aruba and Tel Aviv, and promotes Copenhagen, Denmark as one of the first countries in Europe to legalize same-sex marriage. Or closer to home, New York’s Out NY Hotel advertises itself as “straight friendly.”

http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/0...-gay-tourists/
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #2
country flag Warrior

Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Russia says it will arrest openly gay tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists

Thinking of taking a vacation to Europe this summer? If a trip to iconic city of Moscow or the edgier St. Petersburg is on your bucket list, an anti-gay law recently passed in Russia may have you thinking again. It is now outlawed to be ‘out and proud.’

In a throwback to the country’s authoritarian ruling, Russian president Vladimir Putin has signed a controversial law that punishes people for “homosexual propaganda.” The law fines people—including tourists—up to 200,000 rubles ($6,240 CDN) for “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations.” For Canadians—where same-sex marriage is legal—it is unfathomable that Russia’s laws permit the government to arrest and detain gay, or pro-gay, foreigners for up to 14 days before they would then be expelled from the country.

So what is considered pro-gay? Anything from gay-affirmative speech to hand-holding; even displaying a rainbow flag alongside a maple leaf on your backpack is illegal. Recently in southern Russia, there were complaints that Elton John’s stage outfits fell under “gay propaganda.” While LGBT are being told they are unwelcome in Russia, with such vague definitions, one wonders if anyone who even looks like they might be gay could also be fined or deported from the country.

According to Voice of Russia, any display of affection between same-sex couples could cause a “distorted understanding” that gay relations and heterosexual relations are socially equivalent, and risk spreading Western liberalism. Putin claims the law doesn’t discriminate against LGBT people, but rather—in an argument riddled with faulty logic—is there to “protect children from pedophilia.”

With Gay Pride celebrated around the world, from Sydney, Australia, to Toronto, and with same-sex marriage currently legal in 13 countries with still more countries, including New Zealand and Uruguay, following suit, it is difficult to image a country voting to enact such uncompromising and harsh laws.

And how are these new laws going to impact tourism and the world’s spotlight on the upcoming 2014 Winter Games in Sochi? Will LGBT visitors—or anyone who embraces the gay community—want to visit the games? While Russia’s laws stigmatize and target the gay community, Brazil’s Ministry of Tourism is working to encourage the LGBT community to visit. Brazil, which is hosting the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, as well as the 2014 World Cup.

Fortunately, for LGBT travellers looking to take a vacation, there are other parts of the world more receptive to welcoming them with open arms—or at least not promising your vacation could wind up with jail time. Air Canada has gay and lesbian travel packages to places as diverse as Aruba and Tel Aviv, and promotes Copenhagen, Denmark as one of the first countries in Europe to legalize same-sex marriage. Or closer to home, New York’s Out NY Hotel advertises itself as “straight friendly.”

http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/0...-gay-tourists/
In this case Putin should stay away from PDA on children himself.

Warrior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #3
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

A boycott of the Winter Olympics probably wouldn't be practical (I doubt enough athletes would want to participate and miss their chance of medalling), but since I don't really care about them personally. I wish that's what would happen.

At least for starters, any musician or band worth a damn should refuse to tour there. I'm surprised Elton did given it's recent history to be honest.

Sorry, rambling .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #4
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

If we were to look at every single host country there are human rights reasons to boycott Olympics

Beijing - Human rights abuses everywhere
Vancouver - Seal hunt, treatment of indigenous
London - Chagos Islanders, Internment of prisoners without trial, right to appeal denied to certain prisoners
Sochi - This along with issues surrounding ethnic minorities, political freedoms

The days of Olympics boycotts are essentially over. They were always totally ineffective, boycotting Moscow didn't make the USSR leave Afghanistan any quicker.

In terms of gay holidays I for one pick my holiday destination for different reasons that the state of the LGBT rights. I'd love to go to Moscow and this wouldn't deter me, I've been to Dubai and considered even moving there.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #5
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

^ I have no doubt it would be useless, but it's the principle, ya know?

I think from now on I'll just ignore Russia's existence, at least until these Middle Age laws are done away with . Maria's basically American so I'll make an exception for her .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #6
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

My point is other countries get a total pass, the situation regarding Chagos Islanders is in my opinion quite a serious breach of the rights of those people to live in their homeland yet not a single media outlet would have suggested a boycott of London. If the US were to host an Olympics I don't think we see the suggestion to boycott over spying, drones and Guantanamo Bay.

As Vanessa Redgrave once said, "Every country commits human rights abuses"

Interestingly of course Lenin decriminalised homosexuality before Stalin got his claws in the system, Lenin saw it as a harmless illness (a progressive view for that period of time).
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #7
country flag M2k
Poetic at Heart

M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute M2k has a reputation beyond repute

Does Maria not have an American citizenship?

Yes I know she was born in Russia and she represents Russia, but for some reason I thought she was also an American citizen.

Maria needs to come out as a lesbian and then become American.
Somebody somewhere is thinking of you."
- K. Blackburn –
M2k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #8
*Sesil*

I don't think she has ever stated that she is US citizen. She may well be for convenience reasons although I don't feel she is an Americanised as we all think, mainly cause she only seems to date European men.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #9
country flag Tripp

Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute

Putin sure seems to be pretty insecure regarding homosexuality, which might actually say a thing or two about his own self.
Tripp is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #10
country flag Willam

Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
Putin sure seems to be pretty insecure regarding homosexuality, which might actually say a thing or two about his own self.
What a groundbreaking train of thought the one you posses.

On a more serious note, I wonder what Maria/Kiri think about the whole ordeal.
Willam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #11
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
If we were to look at every single host country there are human rights reasons to boycott Olympics

Beijing - Human rights abuses everywhere
Vancouver - Seal hunt, treatment of indigenous
London - Chagos Islanders, Internment of prisoners without trial, right to appeal denied to certain prisoners
Sochi - This along with issues surrounding ethnic minorities, political freedoms

The days of Olympics boycotts are essentially over. They were always totally ineffective, boycotting Moscow didn't make the USSR leave Afghanistan any quicker.

In terms of gay holidays I for one pick my holiday destination for different reasons that the state of the LGBT rights. I'd love to go to Moscow and this wouldn't deter me, I've been to Dubai and considered even moving there.
A large % of sportsmen and women are gay/lesbian though.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #12
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
A large % of sportsmen and women are gay/lesbian though.
How do you figure?
shap_half is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #13
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
How do you figure?
Not a large but many are athletes, openly and in the closet. How are openly gay and lesbian athletes going to compete in a place where being openly gay can get you in jail? It would basically mean no figure skating.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #14
country flag Steadyniacki
~*Princess Karolina*~

Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute

And to think the most succesful Russian singer/band/act of all time was marketed solely on the fact of being Lesbians

Anythings ok when it brings money in.