Fed Cup Poland 2014 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #16
country flag Caipirinha Guy

Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fed Cup Poland 2014

http://polski-tenis.pl/news.php?readmore=9821

Team: Agnieszka Radwanska, Katarzyna Piter, Paula Kania, Alicja Rosolska
Caipirinha Guy is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #17
country flag Adrian.
Let's have a kiki!

Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute

Buuhhhhh

Adrian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 03:46 PM   #18
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/166654.aspx

Quote:
22 January 2014

Radwanska relishing return to World Group

Agnieszka Radwanska, at the age of 25, is already Poland’s leader in ties played and rubbers won in Fed Cup competition amassing a total of 35 victories from her eight years in the competition.

Having played just one previous tie in World Group II – a loss to Belgium in 2010 – the Pole has spent many of these years slugging away in the zonal groups but this year she gets a second chance on the big stage as they travel to Sweden in the first round.

“It’s great to be back in the World Group and not playing the round robin, so very happy that we could go up…hopefully we can manage to beat Sweden”

With her exemplary personal record in the competition and high ranking the pressure has been placed firmly on her shoulders to carry her nation.

“Sometimes I feel like I was by myself there and we couldn’t really go up so I’m just very happy that with my sister we went up. Unfortunately now she is injured but now we have another girl playing very good tennis and she’s ranked 100 now. I think still we have a good chance to win…we will do everything in ours powers”

“I think there is always a lot of pressure on me but hopefully [Katarzyna] Piter will help me out a little bit, we will see”

Piter, currently ranked at world No. 119 and two years younger than Radwanska, is still trying to establish herself on the Tour but a quarterfinal in Luxembourg beating both Kirsten Flipkens and Yanina Wickmayer en route displayed some of the potential she possesses.

She can also boast of a Fed Cup victory against a potential opponent in this tie having defeated Johanna Larsson 64 16 64 back in a Europe/Africa Zone Group I match in 2009.

The two nations have met each other once since then, however, in the promotional play-off and Radwanska is well aware of the result:

“We played against Sweden in the round robin and we lost, and they are playing at home, so it’s always tricky. I’m excited to play, it’s always fun, especially playing for your country and that it is the World Group”

The success of the Polish Fed Cup team is part of a wider growth of the sport in the country with the Davis Cup team missing out on promotion to the World Group for the first time in their history when they lost to Australia last September.

“We can see a lot of Polish names in the draws so I think it is very good and tennis is really getting bigger in Poland, it’s going in a good way and now you can see that there are more people playing tennis, more kids so this is great”

The world No. 5 is aware that there is still room for improvement and this year represents the best opportunity in a number of years for the team to advance to their next target.

“This is our main goal to go [to World Group I], we have never been there before so this is the goal that we really want to do it. We have still a chance, so if we win against Sweden then just one more match…we are looking forward to it for sure.”

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #19
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/167190.aspx

Quote:
SWEDEN v POLAND
Venue: Borashallen, Boras (hard – indoors)

Poland
Agnieszka Radwanska
Katarzyna Piter
Paula Kania
Alicja Rosolska
Captain: Tomasz Wiktorowski

Sweden
Johanna Larsson
Sofia Arvidsson
Rebecca Peterson
Hilda Melander
Captain: Lars-Anders Wahlgren
Aga should win both singles matches, and then Piter/Kania must win one too

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #20
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/168629.aspx

Quote:
07 February 2014

Radwanska shoulders Polish hopes in Boras

By Lee Goodall

BORAS, SWEDEN: It was only a couple of weeks ago that Swedish and Polish tennis communities joined forces in celebrating a Grand Slam title when Robert Lindstedt and Lukasz Kubot combined to win the men’s doubles at the Australian Open. Fast forward 14 days and the two nations must put those celebrations aside to renew their rivalry when they clash in the first round of the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group II in Boras this weekend.

Even without the services of the injured Polish No. 2 and world No. 45 Urszula Radwanska, the visitors look favourites on paper largely thanks to the presence of sister Agnieszka, as world No. 4 the star of the tie and the highest ranked player competing in any of the Fed Cup ties worldwide this week.

The recent Australian Open semifinalist was nominated alongside world No. 110 Katarzyna Piter as Poland’s two singles players by captain Tomasz Wiktorowski at Friday’s draw to face Sweden’s Johanna Larsson and Sofia Arvidsson on day one of the two-day hard court tie to be played inside the town’s intimate 2,300-capacity Borashallen.

World No. 85 Larsson will go up against Piter to kick off the competition before Arvidsson, currently the 135th best player in the world, and Radwanska complete Saturday’s action. Sunday will see Larsson face Radwanska in the first of the day’s reverse singles. Arvidsson will then take on Piter before a doubles that will see Sweden’s Rebecca Petersen and Hilda Melander play Alicja Rosolska and Paula Kania - providing, of course, neither captain tinkers with his pairings ahead of the final rubber of the tie.

Sweden’s captain Lars-Anders Wahlgren says that, despite the quality of the Polish No. 1, he is hoping the combined experience of his two singles players will be enough to get the job done. Larsson and Arvidsson have played 144 Fed Cup rubbers between them over the years.

“It’s a special thing when you play for your country and there are a lot of expectations. It’s not easy,” Wahlgren insists. “Ten years Fed Cup experience for Johanna and 14 years for Sofia - it makes a big difference in big matches.

“Radwanska is very, very good but she doesn’t blow you off the court which means our girls have the chance to play the ball and run, and that gives them a little chance to get involved in rallies. There’s a chance to cause a surprise - you never know.”

While most impartial onlookers would concede that the visitors are favourites, Polish captain Wiktorowski is sensibly taking nothing for granted. “I never pay attention to numbers,” he says. “I know very well all the Swedish players and I know it’s going to be a very tough match - even for Aga. It’s not going to be an easy job for her on court. She’s expected to win those matches but I expect tight matches and a big fight.”

Without both Radwanska sisters, Wiktorowski is forced to promote Piter into the second singles spot, a player on the rise. The 22-year-old jumped from 376 to 122 in the WTA singles rankings during 2013 and beat Kirsten Flipkens and Yanina Wickmayer en route to the quarterfinals in Luxembourg last autumn.

“She’s a fighter and she really enjoys the atmosphere of team tennis,” Wiktorowski says. “She’s an all-rounder, a baseliner, but that’s good for me on this pretty slow surface. She had a couple of big wins last year so she’s used to this kind of level.”

As for the superstar on site, Radwanska, she says she is feeling confident after her run to the last four in Melbourne and is using the potential of a future passage for Poland into the World Group as motivation this weekend - the winners of the tie will compete in the World Group play-offs in April.

“I’m really happy we have the opportunity to get into the World Group,” said the world No. 4. “I’m really looking forward to getting on court. The girls on the team are all good friends and we know each other really well. It’s a great atmosphere and that’s important. We’ll do everything we can to win this weekend.”

If the Poles do prevail, it will be an historic achievement, of sorts. Sweden have played two team fixtures in Boras - a town that lies around half an hour outside Gothenburg - once in Fed Cup and once in Davis Cup. And they won both.

“Yeah, we’re unbeatable in Boras!” joked Arvidsson at the draw. Time will tell.

The full draw is listed below:

Saturday

R1: Johanna Larsson (SWE) v Katarzyna Piter (POL)
R2: Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) v Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)

Sunday

R3: Johanna Larsson (SWE) v Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)
R4: Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) v Katarzyna Piter (POL)
R5: Hilda Melander/Rebecca Peterson (SWE) v Paula Kania/Alicja Rosolska (POL)

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #21
country flag rucolo

1-1 after day 1

Larsson def. Katarzyna 6-1 6-2

Aga def. Arvidsson 6-1 6-1

Poland depends so much on Aga. She is incredibly important. Weak scoreline from Piter. Maybe is better to put Kania in singles tomorrow ? I think Piter has no chance to beat Arvidsson. I hope Poland can win it before a decisive doubles. But I have my doubts.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #22
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/168799.aspx

Quote:
08 February 2014

Wide open between Sweden and Poland in Boras

By Lee Goodall

BORAS, SWEDEN: It’s still anyone’s guess who will emerge victorious in Boras on Sunday evening after a finely-balanced opening day’s play between hosts Sweden and the visitors Poland, led by world No. 4 Agnieszka Radwanska this weekend.

The two teams left the Borashallen with the World Group II fixture all square after both No. 1s enjoyed comfortable victories on Saturday.

The top-ranked Swede Johanna Larsson led the home side superbly by outclassing the inexperienced Polish No. 2 Katarzyna Piter 61 62 in 62 minutes to give Lars-Anders Wahlgren’s side a 1-0 advantage. Late in the day Radwanska took five minutes longer to crush Sofia Arvidsson 61 61.

Radwanska and Larsson will do battle in the opening match on Sunday at 12noon local time, before Arvidsson goes up against Piter. And if there is still nothing to separate the two sides the doubles will decide it.

Larsson’s performance was exactly what you would expect from a player notching up her 61st Fed Cup rubber. From the very first ball the world No. 85 looked completely at home, breaking in the opening game and quickly building a 4-0 lead over a player ranked 25 places below her.

Larsson continued to dominate with her big forehand and powerful first serve and quickly closed out the opening set as Piter struggled to find a way through the Swede on the relatively slow indoor hard court.

Even when Piter started to make in-roads early in the second, Larsson was resolute under pressure. The 25-year-old Swede trailed 15-40 in the opening game of the second set and at 30-40 hit a superb kick second serve to force an error off return.

Piter, in contrast, soon cracked, throwing in a sloppy game on serve when trailing 2-3. A succession of wild groundstrokes handed Larsson the breakthrough and moments later she was punching the air in celebration.

“I felt really good on court and I wasn’t really worried before about my form,” Larsson said. “I played well in practice this week and also in the points I felt really good. I played pretty aggressive today and she was on the back foot a little at the start and I took advantage of that.”

It was the perfect start for the home side and the result put a slightly different complexion on the second rubber. Arvidsson was the underdog, had home advantage, crowd support and nothing to lose. But once Radwanska found her range in her first match since losing in the semi-finals of the Australian Open, it was one-way traffic.

Despite strapping on her right shoulder and on the back of her right thigh, the Pole never really had to move out of second gear. She raced through the opening set in 25 minutes, dropping just 13 points along the way, and despite a brief spell of Arvidsson resistance early in the second, never looked unduly troubled.

“I had to work hard because the court isn’t very fast but at key moments I think I was the better player,” Radwanska said. “Tomorrow against Larsson will be very different - she plays very different compared to Arvidsson. But if I play like I did today I’ll be very happy.”

Swedish captain Wahlgren admitted that with two players with singles rankings around the 100 mark, he was satisfied with Saturday night’s scoreline. “I was hoping for 2-0 - that was the dream - but still it’s a good result for us,” he said. “It’s fantastic that we have live rubbers tomorrow that matter. Johanna was impressive. She’s playing well but it’s not always easy to play well in front of a home crowd.

“Radwanska is playing against a completely different player tomorrow. Johanna hits with a lot of spin, higher balls than Sofia so it’s going to be a bit different for Radwanska. I think both my players can relax tomorrow.”

As for his opposite number, Tomasz Wiktorowski, the Polish captain will be hoping that Radwanska’s quality will make all the difference on day two. “Everything is still open, we’re in the game, it’s even,” he said. “It’s a blessing to have a player like Aga in the team. She can play singles to this level and doubles as well. I’m not trying to predict what will happen tomorrow, but I’m very happy with Aga.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #23
country flag rucolo

2-2 of course. Decisive doubles

http://live.drakulastream.eu/static/...984355680.html

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #24
country flag MichaelN

MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute

Poland 3-2!
Always with you Ana Ivanović

Wig Snatcher Paula Kania
MichaelN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #25
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/168911.aspx

Quote:
09 February 2014

Poland clinches thriller in Boras

By Lee Goodall

BORAS, SWEDEN: Even with the inclusion of world No. 4 Agnieszka Radwanska in the Polish team, this always looked like a tight fixture.

And so it proved. After the four singles were shared between Sweden and the visitors it all boiled down to the doubles in Boras on Sunday afternoon. And it could even be argued that it was the presence of doubles specialist Alicja Rosolska that ultimately made all the difference, the Poles dominating the fifth rubber to seal a 3-2 victory and passage into the World Group play-offs in April for the first time in 21 years.

Radwanska led her team superbly, of course, picking up two singles and a doubles victory to help earn all three points. Six sets played for the 24-year-old and six sets won.

That stat says it all. But praise too should be heaped on Rosolska who after sitting on the bench all weekend had to find her best tennis in the most pressurised of situations. And that’s exactly what she did.

After Saturday’s singles were split, Radwanska was just a bit too solid and had a little more court craft that Johanna Larsson during a 64 61 victory over the world No. 85, a result that edged the Poles ahead 2-1.

Sofia Arvidsson then brought the hosts back into the tie with a ruthless display of power, the 29-year-old blowing youngster Katarzyna Piter away 62 61 in her 86th rubber for her country.

Cue the predictable team changes from both captains as Larsson and Arvidsson were nominated to take on Radwanska and doubles world No. 46 Rosolska to decide the tie. On paper, perhaps the Swedes were favourites since the Poles had never won together and hadn’t shared a doubles court since 2006.

Polish captain Tomasz Wiktorowski had clearly formulated the perfect gameplan however and his players stuck to the blueprint superbly. Radwanska was a rock from the back of the court and Rosolska was bursting with energy, character, clever touches and well-time moves and interceptions at the net.

It was one-way traffic and it wasn’t long before Radwanska and Rosolska were being tossed into the air in celebration by team-mates after racing to a 62 62 victory.

“It’s a great feeling and we’re going to open a bottle of Dom Perignon for sure!” said Wiktorowski after the victory had started to sink in. “We expected this kind of quality from Aga but Alicja played really good tennis today too. It’s a perfect team for me. Aga was so solid from the back and Alicja could dominate the net play. That was the key for me to win that match.

“We have the wind behind us right now. We have good results on the ATP and WTA tour but this is something different. We play with ‘Poland’ on the back and our national flag on the front and it’s big for us. For us it’s a new path and we want to follow this path for as long as possible. And I can only predict our team is going to be stronger.”

The star of the tie, Radwanska, was in complete agreement with her captain and rightly satisfied with a perfect weekend’s work. “I’ve been very happy with my tennis,” she admitted. “It was good I could beat Johanna in two sets and I was always ready to play doubles. We played a great match. Alicja was playing great tennis at the net and I was playing good from the back. We knew exactly what we needed to do to win that match. We stuck to the plan.”

For Swedish captain Lars-Anders Wahlgren, thoughts quickly turned towards his next task - making sure the Swedes retain their World Group II status by winning a play-off against a Zone Group 1 qualifying team in April. The Swede admitted he knows only too well the quality of the countries in the lower divisions and how hard it can be to gain promotion.

“The next match we have in April we want to win,” he said. “This is where we belong. We’ll be hoping for a home draw.”

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #26
country flag rucolo

yes, Poland into WG 1 Play-Offs !

Thanks to Aga. She won all her 3 matches again. Aga deserves a medal

Without Aga Poland would not be that far. Hope Ula is fit in April

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #27
country flag rucolo

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #28
country flag rucolo

https://twitter.com/FedCup/status/445929823895302144

Quote:
VENUE: Barcelona Tennis Olimpic will host the #FedCup World Group play-off tie between Spain + Poland on 19-20 April (clay - outdoors).
Clay outdoors in Barcelona. Hope Aga will be fit !

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #29
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/172609.aspx

Please vote here for Aga to get the Heart Award !

(and for Sabina Sharipova + Simona Halep too)

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM   #30
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/172923.aspx

Quote:
World Group play-offs

Spain v Poland - Barcelona Tennis Olimpic (clay - outdoors)

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !