Serenaology by the Numbers - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 6th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #1
laj

laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future laj has a brilliant future
Serenaology by the Numbers

As of now the Fabulous One has a Win/Loss record for the 2013 tennis season at 95% [(73-4)=94.8], having won 10 titles for a grand total of 56 titles for her career.

Serena has performed in a total of 163 Main Draw tournaments on the WTA tour. However, due to injuries she only completed by win or loss in a total of 141 tournaments, having had to surrender retirement losses and walkovers 22 times in her career. As such her career title success currently is (56/163)= 34% and (56/141)=40%[39.7] when accounted for injuries. When it all said and done, most likely Serena Williams will be proportionally the most successful female tennis player ever until someone comes along to better her.

Her Career Win/Loss record is currently at (620-108)= 86% [85.7], main draw tournaments only.

She possesses one of the best Head-to-Head records in the history of the sport. In fact, save for a injury retired match at the 1999 German Open to ASV, NO TOP CALIBER RATED PLAYER HAS A WINNING RECORD AGAINST SERENA WILLIAMS.

Serena Williams is the most successful female tennis player in terms of prize money earned in the history of women's sports. Her current $51,738,481 total career prize money averages phenomenally at $317,413.00 per tournament.

At the age of 32 the most talented female tennis player ever sits at the summit of female professional tennis.
Advertisement

Old Oct 6th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2
country flag P3traQueen

P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all P3traQueen is a name known to all
Re: Serenaology by the Numbers

Interesting stats. Shows that by far Rena is queen
P3traQueen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #3
country flag Ntosake

Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the numbers, laj. You always are the statistician when it comes to TerrorFabulous.

She without a doubt remains TMTFTPE.
Ntosake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I think Serena's 95% is the best winning percentage in a year since Steffi in 1996?

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post

She possesses one of the best Head-to-Head records in the history of the sport. In fact, save for a injury retired match at the 1999 German Open to ASV, NO TOP CALIBER RATED PLAYER HAS A WINNING RECORD AGAINST SERENA WILLIAMS.
Sybille Bammer
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #6
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
As of now the Fabulous One has a Win/Loss record for the 2013 tennis season at 95% [(73-4)=94.8], having won 10 titles for a grand total of 56 titles for her career.

Serena has performed in a total of 163 Main Draw tournaments on the WTA tour. However, due to injuries she only completed by win or loss in a total of 141 tournaments, having had to surrender retirement losses and walkovers 22 times in her career. As such her career title success currently is (56/163)= 34% and (56/141)=40%[39.7] when accounted for injuries. When it all said and done, most likely Serena Williams will be proportionally the most successful female tennis player ever until someone comes along to better her.

Her Career Win/Loss record is currently at (620-108)= 86% [85.7], main draw tournaments only.

Serena Williams is the most successful female tennis player in terms of prize money earned in the history of women's sports. Her current $51,738,481 total career prize money averages phenomenally at $317,413.00 per tournament.

At the age of 32 the most talented female tennis player ever sits at the summit of female professional tennis.
Very impressive, indeed, but Margreat Court won 179 tournaments, had a career winning % of 92, ended 7 years at #1 despite losing 2 years due to early retirement and pregnancy, had winning H-H against all her top competition: BJK, Bueno, Wade, Goolagong, Jones, Richey, Turner, Cassals and Darlene Hard. Unlike Serena and Graf, Court had very tough competition throughout her whole career. Serena, along with: Court, Nav, Evert, Wills and Connolly, is one of the very greatest of all time but not yet the greatest. So far the greatest career record belongs to Margreat Court, like it or not, despite what the ignorant hating BJK, Evert, Nav fans and so called expert commentators say.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #7
Morning Morgan

Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Very impressive, indeed, but Margreat Court won 179 tournaments, had a career winning % of 92, ended 7 years at #1 despite losing 2 years due to early retirement and pregnancy, had winning H-H against all her top competition: BJK, Bueno, Wade, Goolagong, Jones, Richey, Turner, Cassals and Darlene Hard. Unlike Serena and Graf, Court had very tough competition throughout her whole career. Serena, along with: Court, Nav, Evert, Wills and Connolly, is one of the very greatest of all time but not yet the greatest. So far the greatest career record belongs to Margreat Court, like it or not, despite what the ignorant hating BJK, Evert, Nav fans and so called expert commentators say.
Open Era is Open Era. That distinction is unambiguous. Tennis before the Open Era is basically a joke.

"No, I'm not. But with you, I don't even care."
Morning Morgan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #8
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Morgan View Post
Open Era is Open Era. That distinction is unambiguous. Tennis before the Open Era is basically a joke.
No, it wasn't.

I mean, if you really want to make a distinction between eras, you should be looking at two criteria:

1. Switch from wood -> graphite
2. Switch from predominantly grass -> predominantly hardcourt tennis

Because, playing with graphite on a tour dominated by hardcourts is not comparable at all to playing with wood on mostly grasscourts.

The latter is not a joke, but for one thing, you can get in a lot more tennis in your body. It's a lot kinder to your body. Therefore, you can achieve a lot more statistically when all other things are equal.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #9
country flag goat

goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future

Quote:
A joke? Now that's a bit of a hyperbole isn't it? Don't answer that it was a rhetorical question.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #10
country flag Sund7101

Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I agree with this. Court won 7 Australian Opens before the Open Era, 11 in total. Beating Jan Lehane O'Neill(who never made it past the Quarterfinals at a major except for in Australia) 4 times. Before the Open Era (and even during the beginning of the Open Era), none of the top players made the trip down to Australia. It was really just an Australian National Championship. Almost half of her slams are Australian Championships/Opens...

Pierce Seles Hingis Capriati Bartoli Davenport Kournikova Sugiyama Majoli Frazier
Sund7101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #11
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
No, it wasn't.

I mean, if you really want to make a distinction between eras, you should be looking at two criteria:

1. Switch from wood -> graphite
2. Switch from predominantly grass -> predominantly hardcourt tennis

Because, playing with graphite on a tour dominated by hardcourts is not comparable at all to playing with wood on mostly grasscourts.

The latter is not a joke, but for one thing, you can get in a lot more tennis in your body. It's a lot kinder to your body. Therefore, you can achieve a lot more statistically when all other things are equal.
I'd argue grass is much easier on the body. Especially when Grass was fast.

tweetweet
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #12
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

player forum
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #13
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Terror Fabulous!
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sund7101 View Post
I agree with this. Court won 7 Australian Opens before the Open Era, 11 in total. Beating Jan Lehane O'Neill(who never made it past the Quarterfinals at a major except for in Australia) 4 times. Before the Open Era (and even during the beginning of the Open Era), none of the top players made the trip down to Australia. It was really just an Australian National Championship. Almost half of her slams are Australian Championships/Opens...
You are free to agree if you will, but Morning Morgan's statement is an ignorant and uninformed one.

The Open era is all but irrelevant to women's tennis which was never at any point "closed". It is that simple. The fact some of the Aussies had weak fields has nothing to do with the Open Era, probably the two weakest AO champions and AO fields actually occurred nearly ten years into the Open Era. Also, it is simply factually incorrect to say none of the top players made it down before the Open Era, they did.

Sam L is absolutely right that any distinctions should come between wood/graphite eras as this neatly coincides with the period in the early 80's when ALL FOUR slams began to achieve relevative parity. Making 1969 a key marker is a complete logical fallacy.

Of course this is all much of a muchness to Serena's legend, but I certainly hope 50 years from now fans of women's tennis aren't as willfully ignorant of history of the sport they love as some "fans" appear to be now.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #15
country flag Sund7101

Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future Sund7101 has a brilliant future

Top Players missing the Australian Open/Championships:

Chris Evert: 71-73, 75-80

Martina Navratilova: 73,74, 76-79

Billie Jean King: 59-64, 66-67, 70-81

Maria Bueno: 58-59, 61-64 (Played Twice)

Ann Haydon-Jones: 56-64, 66-68

Nancy Richey: (Played Twice)

I agree with you that it wasn't until the 1980s that all grand slam events started getting the same status. My argument is that 11 of Court's slams came at the Australian Open when it is clear that the top players were not present.

Pierce Seles Hingis Capriati Bartoli Davenport Kournikova Sugiyama Majoli Frazier
Sund7101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote