Serena vs Andy: A real discussion - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #31
country flag TennisFan89

TennisFan89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Serena vs Andy: A real discussion

The Queen Rena will make it respectable

Both know it's just for fun
TennisFan89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #32
country flag Flamebaiter

Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice Flamebaiter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrieker View Post
You know you are talking about Boredo, right? I don't think he's into that.
Touche

He's got Monaco and Fiasco, I forgot. Wouldn't want to cheat on them with anything resembling a female
Flamebaiter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #33
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute

This whole battle of the sexes thing is ridiculous. My grandma might be able to beat me at ping pong if I were blindfolded and had one hand tied behind my back. WHat does that prove? Men are just superior physically to women and would dominate in all sports including golf, which was mentioned earlier. The male professionals are light years ahead of the women in putting and chipping. They're not even in the same universe. I'm not sure why that is either. You'd think that would be one area where women would at least equal the men at golf, but it is just not the case. Period.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #34
country flag Vulture_In_Chief

Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice

Not necessarily golf. Golf is a sport more about timing and placement rather than a combination of physical, technical and forceful attributes like tennis is. There's no opponent 'controlling' what you do on a golf course, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility a woman could compete in PGA tournaments and put up a respectable performance.
Vulture_In_Chief is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #35
country flag Shrieker

Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice Shrieker is just really nice

Golf is a sport for real athletes.

Shrieker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #36
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Aren't we talking about "evening the playing field"?
That's why you have handicapping.
Who's talking about "favoring"?
Maybe we're understanding something different here. I thought the entire point here was to show that women, and specifically Serena could play and beat men? If so, by "evening the playing field", the purpose has already been defeated. You've admitted that a woman could have no hope of beating a man with the advantage of a handicap.
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #37
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Battle of the Sexes is usually a younger woman versus an older man.

Serena would drag McEnroe or Sampras or even Steffi's husband.

The current top players would be tough but she can beat them.
If you really think this, the rest of your posts make sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #38
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

The whole purpose of the handicaps is that they should be chosen in such a way that does not inhibit the handicapped player in any meaningless sense that would actually restrict their usual ability to play tennis. And there should be few handicaps, but cleverly chosen to pinpoint specifically to reduce the physical advantages a male player would have over a female player, so that the focus would then be on technique and strategy.

Alleys would address movement.
Restrictions on serves would address height/serve.
(And maybe a mixed court would address power.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Struthers View Post
This whole battle of the sexes thing is ridiculous. My grandma might be able to beat me at ping pong if I were blindfolded and had one hand tied behind my back. WHat does that prove? Men are just superior physically to women and would dominate in all sports including golf, which was mentioned earlier. The male professionals are light years ahead of the women in putting and chipping. They're not even in the same universe. I'm not sure why that is either. You'd think that would be one area where women would at least equal the men at golf, but it is just not the case. Period.
Men have an evolutionary advantage, and I don't mean biologically.

If you play against better opponents, you are forced to improve all parts of your game.
The weak get weeded out by "natural selection".
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Jun 29th, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #39
country flag TennisFan89

TennisFan89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
If you really think this, the rest of your posts make sense now.
I liked the bit where Rena would beat Sampras?

She idolises Sampras, she'd be too busy trying to chat him up
TennisFan89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #40
country flag danbo

danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future danbo has a brilliant future

Although I think Murray should not be handicapped as such, Serena should be given unlimited first serves for a start. Also, half courts, Serena plays on clay, Andy plays on grass.
danbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #41
country flag corazonnegro

corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro corazonnegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbo View Post
Although I think Murray should not be handicapped as such, Serena should be given unlimited first serves for a start. Also, half courts, Serena plays on clay, Andy plays on grass.
Do you think Murray's clay mug status has more to do with his side of the court or his opponent's?
corazonnegro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #42
country flag blackandblue

blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold blackandblue is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
I'm not taking this thread topic seriously, but I was just thinking about another individual sport that a female would probably measure up to a male.

Golf.

Tennis relies far too much on athleticism to close the gender gap. But Golf would be a great "sport" for a female to compete fairly equally with a male, as long as the course length is adjusted downward. I believe this because the two would be primarily playing against the course itself, rather than each other. Though mentally, if either loses their head during the course of the match, then it's all over. However, mentally, I believe that females can complete equally, if not exceed the men.

That said, respective of Moby's handicaps, Serena could have a greater chance to win at least a set if they played a 5-setter. And if she's on fire, I could see 2 hard fought sets going to her.
Yeah, yeah, I know there are posters who will scoff at this, but Serena's serves and movement aren't that far from men. If we're being honest with ourselves.
Yes. Yes, they are.

Quote:
However, I liken this comparison to men and women sprinters where there is only a few seconds difference between the best women's and men's times.
Wait, what? A "few seconds"? The elite males sprinters run at about 42 feet per second. A "few seconds" is the difference of over 120 feet at those speeds.
blackandblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #43
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesAreWild View Post
Maybe we're understanding something different here. I thought the entire point here was to show that women, and specifically Serena could play and beat men? If so, by "evening the playing field", the purpose has already been defeated. You've admitted that a woman could have no hope of beating a man with the advantage of a handicap.
NO.

I think you're missing the point.

What Serena and Andy are referring to is basically an exhibition of tennis styles for the sole purpose of entertainment. Thus, the reason why Serena stipulated playing under hyper-handicapping guidelines/conditions.
You're not taking this competition seriously are you?

But we're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves because nothing has been agreed upon.

Interestingly enough, what you just did was prove the very point I was making in my previous post about the general tennis community not being ready for such a meeting. And especially Americans.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #44
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblue View Post
Yes. Yes, they are.

Wait, what? A "few seconds"? The elite males sprinters run at about 42 feet per second. A "few seconds" is the difference of over 120 feet at those speeds.

I'm not referring to feet per second.
I'm referring to overall reaction time, speed, and movement (technique).

I say again, that the difference isn't as great as you would have people believe.
And we are talking top athletes. Not your average schmoe weekend jock.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #45
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

They can't even compete in chess forget golf.