Can Anyone Stop Serena? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:23 PM   #1
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Can Anyone Stop Serena?

Looking at the draw, can anyone stop Serena from winning her second title of 2003, and second Open Gaz?

Dokic hasn't taken a set off Serena; Patty could be dangerous [but I can't see Serena losing to the same girl twice in a row]; Mauresmo is coming off injury--could be rusty; Dani has proved against the Williams she is ready to beat them [not even close against Serena 63 62; 62 62].

Can anyone?

My top vote would be Mauresmo in the finals.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:48 PM   #2
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
i don't think anyone can stop her even if she plays badly because she always finds a way to win.

but there are quite a few players that have the game to challenge her at least for one set (although i'm not expecting them to)

schett - always a threat but she's been in a slump for at least a year and i'm starting to think she won't get back to the top but if she is playing well one of the seets could be tight.

casanova - young so she haas no fear if that is possible against someone liie serena. she has beaten henin once and given her a few tough matches but she is really inconsistent and doesn't usually perform that well against the top players. she could surprise serena in one set but i don't think serena will be phased.

dokic - if she has lost weight (i don't think she has) then she would have lost some power on her groundies and you need all the power you can get for serena. jelena did give serena a tough first set at the champs last year 7-6 in the first but fell apart in the second plus she is not playing to well at the moment and is probably still a bit rusty but she is always an outside chance. she has been working with a coach and maybe they are training solely to beat the williams sisters but well have to wait a see on this one.

stevenson - has a powerfull game but can easily break down. if her serve is really on she could take at least one set to a tiebreak but don't expect her to but a score of 6-4 for in one of the sets is likely if her serve is on.

daniilidou showed at the oz open that she is good but her serve is a liability. if she has worked on that serve then she'll be a threat maybe even to take the match but i don't think she has got the serve so i'd say two fairly tight sets something like 6-4 6-3.

mauresmo - can't beat her soley from the back of the court or from the net but a combination of both may confuse serena for a set but mauresmo might be rusty.

dementieva - if she plays at her best she can cause a tight two setter and maybe even bring it to 3 sets but don't expect it.

matevzic - has the powerful game and that is all if her serve holds up it might be a tight match but it shouldn't go into three sets although anything is possible especially if serena is playing badly.

hantuchova - at AO 2002 gave venus a three set match but one round further in 2003 it only went two sets. if she is in the mood she might bring a fight to serena but rarely is she in the mood against the top players.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:32 AM   #3
country flag Alek

Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute
I think that if Babsi Schett is plyaing well she maybe could be dangerous to Serena. But if Serena passes to QF I think she will win the title easily.

Would expect maybe to Amelie to cause the upset but as she is ccoming back from injury I think she wont.
Alek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:22 AM   #4
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute
why can't anybody????? i mean let's face it anything can happen. Schneider most certainly can because she HAS beaten her before, and why can't Dokic????? i mean Dokic loves to be the underdog because she has no pressure, as she showed in the championships. one of the big reason she lost was because of her broken foot. anyways, Serena can be taken out of this tournament because she hasn't been playing the best of tennis during the Ausi Open.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #5
country flag Asmus

Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold Asmus is a splendid one to behold
It really depends on Amelie. She might be rusty, but then again she may also be very fresh. If the latter is the case then she has a good chance. Nobody else can beat Serena. Sorry.
Asmus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #6
Rae Q.

Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope not because I want Serena to continue her streak.
Rae Q. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #7
country flag sartrista7
Registered 1

sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Gowza
matevzic - has the powerful game and that is all if her serve holds up it might be a tight match but it shouldn't go into three sets although anything is possible especially if serena is playing badly.
uh, what? Maja Matevzic has, like, no power at all. She's amazing to watch, because she can do almost anything with the ball... but the one thing she cannot do is hit it hard.
sartrista7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #8
cheeky

cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Naldo
why can't anybody????? i mean let's face it anything can happen. Schneider most certainly can because she HAS beaten her before, and why can't Dokic????? i mean Dokic loves to be the underdog because she has no pressure, as she showed in the championships. one of the big reason she lost was because of her broken foot. anyways, Serena can be taken out of this tournament because she hasn't been playing the best of tennis during the Ausi Open.
it's funny you say she didn't play her best and yet she still won the Ausi Open,if she were to play her best,god can only help the person on the other side of the net! anyways i do believe that serena can be beaten,she certainly has been challenged by clijster,mauresmo,justine and some up and comers but i really don't think that in anyone in this event will beat her.(hope not anyways!
GOOD LUCK RENA!!!!!!!
cheeky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #9
macn

macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice
NO ONE CAN STOP SERENA!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:20 AM   #10
country flag vs1

vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold
Clear and simple answer: NO.

Naldo, were you being sarcastic about Dokic? I couldn't tell. But when you said she had a broken foot at the champs, it was pretty clear that you were being sarcastic. I imagined her limping around with a cast on her broken foot (haahaa!!). Anyhow, I was at the championships in LA and watched it live. If Dokic was injured, it sure didn't show it! She was playing Serena close in the first set! There's something about Jelena where she just can't seem to get mentally past those ranked above her (or should be ranked above her). Lindsay and Serena owns Jelena like it's no one's business.

As good as Amelie is, I don't think she causes as many problems for Serena as she does for Venus. I was just recently watching the Serena-Amelia SF at Wimbledon and it was actually embarassing that Amelie could be whipped that easily in a semi-final.

Here comes the sun

It's alright

You can come on out

SERENA WILLIAMS - 2005 AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPION!!!

OFFICIAL BISHOP OF THE ROYAL COURT!

Andy_ & I are Zelda's Guys of the Decade!!!
vs1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #11
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by vs1

As good as Amelie is, I don't think she causes as many problems for Serena as she does for Venus. I was just recently watching the Serena-Amelia SF at Wimbledon and it was actually embarassing that Amelie could be whipped that easily in a semi-final.
Two things happened at Wimbledon though:

1]Serena played the best tennis of her life. She has NEVER played that well again.

2]Mauresmo didn't play her game. I think she was nervous. It wasn't the same Mauresmo that took out JenCap.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote