Let's have a constructive discussion on rape culture - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #61
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steubenville rape victim's family says they are proud fans of Serena

They just want this whole story to go away and to get on with their lives. It's sad they had to have their lawyer make a statement in regards to what some ignorant tennis player had to say about a crime that was committed against their daughter. I think that a lot of people have learned something from Serena's callous mistake here though, and that's the silver lining.

Serena is "lucky."
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #62
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

I could careless about everyone's reaction to what she said because if any parent today aren't telling their kids the exact same thing then they don't have a fucken clue. Period

I'm more pissed off about the piece of shit who would put her words from her personal phone call to Venus in the article. I mean what the fuck is that?

That's not an interview and she didn't have his ass there to do that, and sounds like an invasion of privacy. A personal phone call is OFF-LIMITS and if I were her I would sue that asshole
JLG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #63
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Phone call to Venus? Hopefully Venus set her straight long before this went public.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #64
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

No, Venus called her while he was there and that's how he got the comments about the "top 5 player"

He's gonna put what she's saying to someone on the phone? What does that have to do with an interview
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #65
country flag JLG

Like I said, I don't care about the comments on the rape case cause no one even "hears" what she said and there was not one thing wrong with it. She wasn't commenting on whether the dudes were innocent or not.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #66
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

^Sorry, but this is just silly. If Serena wanted her phone calls to be off limits she should have made that clear to the journalist, or otherwise just asked Venus to call back. And actually in the context of the article, what she said in that phone call was at least somewhat newsworthy, in the sense that it gave a glimpse into how top WTA players feel about each other.

That can't be said about the Steubenville case. Knowing how painful this would be to the family, RS's decision to include Serena's thoughtless slip of the tongue can only be described as cheap, sleazy gutter journalism. It conveys absolutely no information of any value.
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #67
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
They just want this whole story to go away and to get on with their lives. It's sad they had to have their lawyer make a statement in regards to what some ignorant tennis player had to say about a crime that was committed against their daughter. I think that a lot of people have learned something from Serena's callous mistake here though, and that's the silver lining.

Serena is "lucky."
I agree God has blessed her in life!
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #68
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
I don't think anyone had a problem with the apology. More the original comments themselves.
There were of people who had problem with the apology.

jacobruiz was one of the most vocal.

S/he said the family would not care bout Serena's apology because they had already gone so much

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #69
faboozadoo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
No, Venus called her while he was there and that's how he got the comments about the "top 5 player"

He's gonna put what she's saying to someone on the phone? What does that have to do with an interview
Source?
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #70
country flag JLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
^Sorry, but this is just silly. If Serena wanted her phone calls to be off limits she should have made that clear to the journalist, or otherwise just asked Venus to call back. And actually in the context of the article, what she said in that phone call was at least somewhat newsworthy, in the sense that it gave a glimpse into how top WTA players feel about each other.

That can't be said about the Steubenville case. Knowing how painful this would be to the family, RS's decision to include Serena's thoughtless slip of the tongue can only be described as cheap, sleazy gutter journalism. It conveys absolutely no information of any value.
It wasn't a sit down interview....he was hanging out with her for hours

He's a piece of shit for that. I tell you what...go screaming out what you heard a person say on his phone that you don't know very well and get back to me
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #71
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
How much money did they get to say this? Obviously the PR people reached them and did the damage control. What a show!
NO DOUBT!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #72
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
It wasn't a sit down interview....he was hanging out with her for hours

He's a piece of shit for that. I tell you what...go screaming out what you heard a person say on his phone that you don't know very well and get back to me
This is kind of funny coming from the same guy who implies that a woman walking drunk through a bad neighbourhood only has herself to blame for whatever shit others do to her.
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #73
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS_ View Post
I mean, wishing the thread would fall of the front page so no one can see it?
Funny - I thought that's just what all those yesterday's panic calls to closing the ongoing thread about this issue were attempting to do. Especially since the reason was "non-tennis". I can think of many non-tennis threads that weren't closed, for example http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...t=gay+marriage. This one "non-tennis" related thread lasted full five days on the front page before getting closed, when the topic was already exhuasted. Do you want more evidence of double standards?

If anything, and you can see that from my second post in this thread, I don't wish this to go away, quite the opposite, I think this is a good opportunity to educate people.
I am just appalled at the selectiveness for the (supposed ) freedom of speech protection. This thread - as few posts as it has - has already been on view (front page as you say) for longer than yesterday's thread. Or the one before it that also got locked.

Anyway, I do not have an aversion to Serena, not at all (and even if I did, this doesn't immediately mean what I say is wrong, I hope you understand that). In fact I think she didn't mean anything bad by her words, and I understand where she is coming from (only to a certain extent).
However, she SHOULD educate herself about it and in fact I think she is capable of actually using this opportunity to learn something from this and use it for good.
What I do have an aversion to is the favoritism and double standards.
1) Your post could have done without the generalization of a single fanbase, it contributes nothing. It doesn't take a PHD to see that you had no qualms with the 2 or 3 previous threads, but suddenly want one that includes a relatively peaceful resolution locked straight away. The mods never get to anything instantly, the other threads were posted during the height of activity, this one past midnight where most of the mods live so they will close it when they get to it if they deem it to be a problem. Since none of the threads broke forum rules and non-tennis related threads get moved to NT, we can assume they get locked if they are heading down a path that will only lead to baiting and flamewars like the first one did (and like this one will if anyone takes faboozadoo's bait).

2) Again, I don't know you as a poster, but from the only posts of yours I've read you've been critical of Serena (which isn't unwarranted in this particular case), and called for the only non-hostile thread related to her to be locked almost instantly. If you wanted to people to be educated you should have been clear about that from the beginning... People looking to educate others don't whine that a thread (the perfect place to educate people on) hasn't been locked yet. Doing so just makes it look like you've an axe to grind.

And funny you should mention "educating" people on this issue. In light of this story I've actually been educated and had my stance evolve on the issue, not by people flinging insults at fanbases and begging for threads to be locked, but by being calm, civil and articulating their points well from the start. Not being provoked into it like you've been here.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #74
country flag JLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
Source?
You haven't even read the damn rolling stone article?
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #75
faboozadoo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
This is kind of funny coming from the same guy who implies that a woman walking drunk through a bad neighbourhood only has herself to blame for whatever shit others do to her.
But Serena is a victim for having a phone conversation made public. It's really astonishing.