Let's have a constructive discussion on rape culture - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #46
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steubenville rape victim's family says they are proud fans of Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
Every thread about this issue has been locked in GM, and you're still making threads?
Eh, it's only fair that if the controversy can be posted, so can the conclusion. And as I understood it, they were locked because of the discussion that took place, not so much the original content. It doesn't look like these new developments are enough to start another flame war [/naivety]
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #47
country flag Singleniacki
~*Princess Karolina*~

Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Great. There's nothing wrong with what she said. All she said was that you have to be careful when you're out. How is that not true? She didn't blame the victim nor say that it's because she was doing something that she got raped.

If I go out and get drunk, I am putting myself at risk. It is true.
She said the girl was lucky.

Lucky.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #48
country flag Alarmed

Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future

The only really inexcusable part of Serena's original comments is the part about the girl's virginity. I roughly agree with what else she said though, but it was horribly said and made her seem like an uneducated fool. No 16 year old should be out drinking and no one should be passing it off saying "Oh, kids will be kids." No. Not all kids go out and get wasted. It's a stupid thing to do and kids should know better, but they're too eager to act all grown up. Still zero excuse for rape and I was disgusted by the media portrayal of the rapists as victims. It was sickening. They should've received much harsher sentences.

Oldest #1 in WTA history
Alarmed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #49
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
She said the girl was lucky.

Lucky.
What she means is that if you don't pay attention something worse could happen. She could've been dead. In that sense, she is lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmed View Post
The only really inexcusable part of Serena's original comments is the part about the girl's virginity. I roughly agree with what else she said though, but it was horribly said and made her seem like an uneducated fool. No 16 year old should be out drinking and no one should be passing it off saying "Oh, kids will be kids." No. Not all kids go out and get wasted. It's a stupid thing to do and kids should know better, but they're too eager to act all grown up. Still zero excuse for rape and I was disgusted by the media portrayal of the rapists as victims. It was sickening. They should've received much harsher sentences.
I agree. She shouldn't have said virginity but maybe she didn't. We haven't even heard what exactly she said. All of this could be twisted.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #50
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

This 'comtroversy' is new to me and I don't know what Serena said.

However, she does not strike me as the sort of person who would take an issue such as rape lightly or would be deliberately hurtful to a victim of rape or crime.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #51
country flag JAS_

JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
This 'comtroversy' is new to me and I don't know what Serena said.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis...rape_case.html

Quote:
However, she does not strike me as the sort of person who would take an issue such as rape lightly or would be deliberately hurtful to a victim of rape or crime.
She didn't do it deliberately. But that's not the only problem, because for instance most discrimination is not even conscious let alone deliberate.

She simply isn't aware of the subtleties of the problem and should be more mindful of her words considering their impact. And first of all, she should familiarize herself (as well as many of her fans) with the concept of victim blaming, especially in the view of her supposed (pun intended) fight for gender equality, as blaming the victim is one of the classical types of gender discrimination, since the majority of rape victims are women:
Quote:
The term blaming the victim is often used by social psychologists to describe a phenomenon in which people blame innocent victims of crimes for their misfortune.

In such cases, people may accuse the victim of failing to protect themselves from the event by behaving in a certain manner or not taking specific precautionary steps to avoid or prevent the event. Examples of this include accusing rape victims, domestic violence survivors and kidnap victims of behaving in a manner that somehow provoked their attackers. Researchers suggest that hindsight bias causes people to mistakenly believe that victims should have been able to predict future events and therefor take steps to avoid them.
Here's a funny (as much as such a topic can be) take on victim blaming

http://hilaroar.tumblr.com/post/4595...tim-blaming-is

And here's a scholarly article about it.

Last edited by JAS_ : Jun 20th, 2013 at 09:47 AM.
JAS_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #52
country flag Kasey

Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has barely made it to 2 pages, yet there's already been some seething bs posted by some.

Anyway, the case has been discussed back and forth, Serena corrected herself on this and we should just....leave it.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #53
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Enough of this, now lets focus who gonna be the mama to beat Serena in the next two week at Wimbledon?

GO MARTINA HINGIS!!!!!!!!
Myskina, kirilenko, chakvetadze. Douchevina, Petrova, Clijsters, Zvonareva, Dementieva, Vaidiosava, Voskoboeva, !!!!!

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #54
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Wise decision, they don't won't want to frighten off the inevitable $$$$$ donation to rape victim charities, that should put this disaster to bed once and for all.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #55
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS_ View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis...rape_case.html

She didn't do it deliberately. But that's not the only problem, because for instance most discrimination is not even conscious let alone deliberate.

She simply isn't aware of the subtleties of the problem and should be more mindful of her words considering their impact. And first of all, she should familiarize herself (as well as many of her fans) with the concept of victim blaming, especially in the view of her supposed (pun intended) fight for gender equality, as blaming the victim is one of the classical types of gender discrimination, since the majority of rape victims are women:

Here's a funny (as much as such a topic can be) take on victim blaming

http://hilaroar.tumblr.com/post/4595...tim-blaming-is

And here's a scholarly article about it.
Thank you.

Oh dear, what is reported is not good, and I don't see how anyone can defend it.

It comes across to me as an off the cuff remark of someone who is cocooned and pampered - it happens to a lot of 'stars', they lose perspective. But that's just my take. Regardless, it is not good.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #56
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A balanced response to the Serena faux pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post

The way Serena phrased her response you could tell she was basically thinking aloud, not stating some deeply held conviction. Her real mistake was not insisting on a right to review the article before it was printed, so she could have had them remove these silly comments, which are themselves pretty meaningless, but once printed became needlessly hurtful to the victim and her family, and to women in general.
I think and hope that this is true.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #57
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you.

Oh dear, what is reported is not good, and I don't see how anyone can defend it.

It comes across to me as an off the cuff remark of someone who is cocooned and pampered - it happens to a lot of 'stars', they lose perspective. But that's just my take. Regardless, it is not good.
I don't think being cocooned or pampered has much to do with it. I imagine a lot of working class folks would have said much the same thing as Serena did if there was anybody around interested in hearing their opinion. Which is not to say that what Serena said was right, just that it isn't exceptional.

Quote:
A lesson to anyone in the public eye: when in the presence of a journalist never let your guard down and say nothing about anything difficult. Which is why so many interviews these days with 'celebs' are so blatantly bland and PR'd to the hilt in advance. I don't blame people actually, I'd want to see every question in advance, prepare every answer in advance and have total copy approval before publication with full veto of what could be published.
Yes, this is the lesson Serena will hopefully take from this. That it's okay to say: I haven't really thought much about this issue, so I'd rather not comment.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #58
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqgeoxxh View Post
Yes she isn't responsible, but post prosecution it is worth pointing out her foolishness to all young girls who may find themselves in this situation. Some guys out there have nasty deeds on their minds. Drinking yourself unconscious is not helping your safety. Serena's comments have some value and common sense. Sadly it's being totally ignored.
You're right. It's being ignored because it doesn't matter one bit in relation to this crime! As you mention, some of what Serena said was just common sense. Something that teens can lack at times and need to be reminded of. However, it should not form the crux of any argument on this issue, particularly relating to the prosecution or sentencing of the rapists. Yes, it's important to be careful and to protect yourself as best you can but this piece of common sense should have no bearing on a crime committed against you. Furthermore, no girl or woman should have to fear any kind of assault whether she has had one drink or ten (in an ideal world at least)

Although, the rape may not have occurred had the girl been sober. It does not change anything. Rape is rape. The defence may try to muddle the facts of the case but members of the public should not. I don't care if the girl was tipsy, drunk or strung out on heroine, those guys not only raped her (pre-meditatively or not) but went on to brag and joke about it like the absolute filth that they are. They should be punished to the maximum extent of the law.

The behaviour of the rapists is what everyone should be focused on not the behaviour of a seemingly fairly typical teenage girl.

Again, I hope Serena was just sorting through her feelings on the matter out loud and I hope that she can heal some of the damage that she's inadvertently done.

I just read the family warm and gracious acceptance of Serena's apology.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/

Last edited by kwilliams : Jun 20th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #59
country flag Londoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
She's a good hearted woman, give her a break. It really wasn't that bad.

People also forget that most tennis players are dumb as shit and you should listen to nothing they say that is not tennis-related. Does anyone care what the top NFL quarterbacks think about any current events? I rest my case.
very true. They really should just stick to tennis, BFs and clothes.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #60
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice. I'm glad that the family feels this way as their opinion is the main one that matters in this instance. Glad that she got on top of this and clarified her insensitive comments and just as I suspected the story is already dying down as people are moving on to other things. Onto THE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote