Let's have a constructive discussion on rape culture - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #31
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A balanced response to the Serena faux pas

Nice that there is a sympathetic response like this, but actually I think this article still makes the same fundamental mistake all the others are making. It takes Serena's comments as a reflection of the actual view she held at the time, rather than what it really was: a blurted reaction to a news item by a person who had never really thought about such things one way or another.

The way Serena phrased her response you could tell she was basically thinking aloud, not stating some deeply held conviction. Her real mistake was not insisting on a right to review the article before it was printed, so she could have had them remove these silly comments, which are themselves pretty meaningless, but once printed became needlessly hurtful to the victim and her family, and to women in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehead's Boy View Post
Here's the link to my only comment in GM about this: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...1#post29772721

According to RVD, I reached "an unprecedented level of illogical reasoning". All the other people who replied to my comment or sent me a message with the reputation system agreed with me.

Again, I have to stress that I find unfortunate that all the debate has been centered about whether Serena is right or wrong, and very little has been said about how this topic should be discussed. What I find disturbing is not so much Serena's opinion, but how she appears to think you can candidly comment on a case like this the same nonchalant way you can comment on Sharapova or cinnamon rolls. Judging from the majority of replies in this forum, unfortunately she's far from being alone.
I don't think this is illogical. But it is maybe a little harsh.

Serena's reaction sounded to me like the kind of reaction that probably took place in millions of living rooms when the item was aired. Like most people, Serena doesn't seem to have thought much about things like this, so basically she was verbally trying to make sense of it.

The difference being that unlike all those other living rooms, she was sharing hers not with a friend or family member, but with a a nosy RS journalist, whose job it is to put his interviewees at ease, and give them the feeling that they are in their own living room with a friend or family member. The better to elicit such juicy tidbits.

Last edited by stromatolite : Jun 20th, 2013 at 06:25 AM.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #32
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute
Steubenville rape victim's family says they are proud fans of Serena

Since a lot of the people here were keen to know what the victim's family thought of Serena's apology.

Quote:
Steubenville rape victim's family says they are 'proud' of Serena Williams' apology after she was quoted defending the 16-year-old's assailants

'We just read Serena's updated comments and we're proud of her for correcting and clarifying her prior statements,' the family said, according to a statement issued on their behalf by attorney Bob Fitzsimmons. 'We are sure Serena has and will continue to use her God-given talents to advance women's equality and send the message that rape is never acceptable under any circumstance.

'We are fans of Serena and will continue rooting for many more championships but more importantly watching her advance the cause of rape victims who are never to blame.'

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #33
country flag Goddess Serena

Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future
Re: Steubenville rape victim's family says they are proud and now a fan of Serena

Aww - the haters will be so upset
Goddess Serena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #34
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steubenville rape victim's family says they are proud fans of Serena

I don't think anyone had a problem with the apology. More the original comments themselves.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #35
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Good for them

It was a stupid mistake on Serena's part, and I'm sure she'll regret it for the rest of her life. But if the victim's family can move on, is it too much to ask others to do the same?
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #36
country flag Ryusuke Tenma

Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light

More Serena controversy? I'm not surprised, although I didn't get to see her original statements.

EDIT: Ah, so her statement was that the person shouldn't have put herself in that position? Not the most idiotic thing I've ever heard, but really? They shouldn't be put in the position to be raped anyway. The rapist shouldn't even be doing that, if they had a conscience. Ah well, apologies all around and everybody is friends again

Simona Halep...perhaps a bright spot in an otherwise dark tour?
Caroline Wozniacki...underrated former #1 with a hopeful return to form in the future.
Errani, Schiavone, Vinci...Talented tacticians who use variety and their heads.
Ryusuke Tenma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #37
country flag dany.p

dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of

But the question remains, does Serena believe in this case, the perpetrators of the crime should be given more lenient sentences, because of the actions of the victim?
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #38
country flag dany.p

dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of

The apology does seem genuine though (although it could just be damage control). Personally, i'm willing to forgive and forget. I just hope Serena thinks more deeply and compassionately about this issue.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #39
country flag apple123

apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light apple123 is a glorious beacon of light

How much money did they get to say this? Obviously the PR people reached them and did the damage control. What a show!
apple123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #40
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Great. There's nothing wrong with what she said. All she said was that you have to be careful when you're out. How is that not true? She didn't blame the victim nor say that it's because she was doing something that she got raped.

If I go out and get drunk, I am putting myself at risk. It is true.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #41
Svetlana)))

Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute

Let's all move on to Wimbledon where the real lashings will occur.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #42
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Good for them
Not just good--admirable and inspirational that they can see past the sensationalist media crap generated from an unwitting foot-in-mouth blooper and bring the focus back to the real issue.
Marlene is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #43
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Every thread about this issue has been locked in GM, and you're still making threads?

instargram
duhcity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #44
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute
Well, while I liked Serena apologized, it didn't sound like she actually owned up to her statements. She said twice "what was written" and once "supposedly" , while the journalist had the interview on tape.

But I will let it slide off, since the family seems happy with all that. I feel sorry for their girl hopefully she is doing okay after this week.
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #45
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

what comments are they talking about?

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote