Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5 - Page 88 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1306
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

Novak is funny? Clowns stopped making me laugh when I was five.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1307
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I think todays players are saints.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #1308
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I think we both made that point some time ago. I think Novak is equal parts adorable and cheesy. And since he's such a showman how about he show us his bare ass in a photo shoot.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1309
country flag Fiercepova
JJ Project - BNior

Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future

So Vika won another match against Serena, and in the final too.. Yes, I'm jealous
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1310
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming close to the end of my rope with tennis. It's been hard enough dealing with Serena dominating so much over Maria's career. But if I have to sit here and watch Victoria Azarenka become the dominant force in women's tennis, then that will be the end of my interest and support of the WTA.

2 wins over Serena this year.....

It was a complete replay of last year's US Open final, only Serena was the one couldn't come through in the clutch. She just completely tanked the second set, giving Vika all the belief she needed. Then she's in a 3rd set where anything can happen. The same thing happened to Maria in the Open semis last year. When you have Azarenka down, you keep her down. She's at her most dangerous when you give her the momentum.

I'm just shocked that she should could put on that horrific display last night and then less than 24 hours later wear down and beat Serena. I'm so disgusted, but I don't think you have a choice but to make Azarenka the odds on favorite in New York now.

I just continue to struggle wrapping my brain around the kind of player Vika is. How can someone with such a huge liability in her game get away with it time and time again.

I can't take this. If she wins the US Open, I'm done.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #1311
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Well if Serena continues to throw in so many UE riddled and unclutch performances then Maria will get a win too.

Vika isn't becoming the dominating force anytime soon, y'all need to stop.

Is JJ better than Maria because of her H2H with Serena?
I'm more worried about Maria herself being fully healed and ready for the USO than Vika clinching a win by the skin of her teeth in a horrendous match.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #1312
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
Is JJ better than Maria because of her H2H with Serena?
Or to turn it around, is Maria better than Serena because she has a better H2H against Jankovic than Serena does? H2Hs don't mean shit. If Maria ends her career with more Slams than Vika ("if", in case some troll is reading this years down the line and wants to quote me on it ), noone is going to think Vika is the better player just because she has a better record against Serena, if indeed that is how it pans out.

I don't want to "drag" Maria in GM, but honestly she only has herself to blame for not being able to do what Aza's done against Serena. I still don't buy the theory that Serena raises her game for Maria, and I also don't think there's really that much Aza has done in her matches against Serena this year that Maria couldn't do (I do think Aza is a considerably better mover/defender than Maria is, but to be frank, she hasn't actually needed to use it in her wins over Serena). But one thing I do think is I think it's obvious that Vika did her homework on Serena's game last offseason, really studied her weaknesses, which is something I felt Maria never really did, atleast not until recently.

Whereas in her matches against Serena last year, Vika was doing a REALLY bad ballbasher impression (and making way too many errors because that's not her game), this year she's been good at playing really deep but central balls (which is a good play against Serena because it takes her angles away and often gets her footwork muddled up), took a step back on the return and just tried to get returns into play (last year Vika was standing well up on the baseline to return Serena's serve to try and "intimidate" her, because of the myth that if you throw in a weak return then Serena is guaranteed to eat it up, but actually just getting some of her rocket serves back into play can erode her confidence and take more mental energy out of her than if you're netting attempted huge returns all the time), and then just pounding away all the short balls that that gameplan elicits. In fairness, I do think the RG final was a step in the right direction in that I felt Maria FINALLY had the right gameplan against Serena more or less, but her execution just wasn't consistently good enough to take advantage after how erratic she'd been all tournament. But if anything, rather than being discouraged by Vika's wins, Maria really should take encouragement from it, because imho she's capable of doing all that Vika can if she just stops being so stubborn and comes up with a thorough gameplan.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #1313
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

You can't be mad at Vika for actually stepping up to the plate. Sure Serena would never ever play like that vs Maria, but Maria's never pressured Serena like Vika does. The final in Miami is a clear cut example of losing momentum with that final set bagel, whilst winning five games against a sick Serena in Doha was pretty unacceptable. I still think Vika's an opportunist however, she's never beaten a truly healthy, superb Serena on court (but then again, who has?) if anything I just hope this motivates Maria. Vika actually takes her opportunities against a sub-par Serena, whereas because it comes few and far between for Maria, she gets way too uptight and loses momentum. However, post Vika's win in Doha, Maria managed to win her first set against Serena since 2008, so as long as she keeps focused she'll be ready to prove herself at the USO
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #1314
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercepova View Post
So Vika won another match against Serena, and in the final too.. Yes, I'm jealous
Oh....but our loser will never do that
Asanty is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #1315
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

This match just highlighted how much more mentally tough Serena and Vika are over Maria at this stage in her career. Vika got pummeled in the first set but she just dug in and kept trying. Once any whiff of hardship arises in a match involving Maria and one of these two, Maria begins to fold like a cheap tent. Her game today is more than adequate to at least be pushing those two to the limit, if not beating (one) of them, but she just can't keep it together.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #1316
country flag Icky80

There's no denying Vika has better tools to contend with Serena than Maria. First and foremost, she can defend. But yes, Maria is mentally clocked when Serena goes on any type of run in their matches. For me it's not just that Maria hasn't been Serena, it's how she's lost to her a few times, on occasion just going a walkabout. But hey, this isn't something we already didn't know.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #1317
country flag Silas
Unattractive inside

Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by effedcamel View Post
This match just highlighted how much more mentally tough Serena and Vika are over Maria at this stage in her career. Vika got pummeled in the first set but she just dug in and kept trying. Once any whiff of hardship arises in a match involving Maria and one of these two, Maria begins to fold like a cheap tent. Her game today is more than adequate to at least be pushing those two to the limit, if not beating (one) of them, but she just can't keep it together.

gurl puhlease. While in order to beat Serena, Maria needs to be in her A game, choking is the only thing Maria needs to avoid against Guest and she should be able to destroy her on all surfaces, in straight sets.

Do not compare Maria's matchup vs. Serena with her matchup vs. Azarenka. It won't be long 'till Maria leads the H2H.
Silas is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #1318
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post

gurl puhlease. While in order to beat Serena, Maria needs to be in her A game, choking is the only thing Maria needs to avoid against Guest and she should be able to destroy her on all surfaces, in straight sets.

Do not compare Maria's matchup vs. Serena with her matchup vs. Azarenka. It won't be long 'till Maria leads the H2H.
Your point is the same as mine, I just worded it poorly. Her game is definitely enough to pummel Guest. She just needs to stop with the choking.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #1319
country flag Icky80

We also need to realize it's not just about Maria's confidence but Serena's. Serena knows that even if she plays merely decent Maria does not have a game that can harm her, so she rarely trips up in late matches against Maria like she can do against Vika. But yes, Vika only has a mental edge over Maria when it comes to playing Serena. Vika has gone on decent runs against Maria the last few times Maria has beat her, yet Shar held it together. It's not really comparable.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #1320
country flag Icky80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
The problem with the men's game right now (even though it's infinitely better than the women's game) is that it's getting further away from being what tennis should be about (exciting shotmaking) and more towards a straight-up battle of endurance. Sure, Nadal might be technically at a very high level and he's obviously an incredible athlete, but that doesn't mean it's exciting to watch from an aesthetic standpoint. Honestly, even as a Djokovic fan, I'm starting to detest his matches against Nadal and Murray, because they so often turn into boring one-dimensional grindfests, and usually have UGLY W-UE ratios to boot (though the slobbering commentators always fail to point that out). Even though I dislike Federer for his arrogance and lack of class, I'm starting to hope he can have a resurgence purely to provide more exciting matches, his matches against Djokovic and his ones against Nadal (when he doesn't bend over from the first ball) have been easily the best of the last couple of years imo. (Well, if we're doing preferences then I'd rather have Delpo or Tsonga finally break into the elite, but I'm starting to run out of hope on that )

And honestly, even though the ATP commentators and journalists (who are honestly the most slavering of ANY sport I know) are constantly going on about how this is a "golden era", I actually do know quite a few casual tennis fans who've been bemoaning how even grasscourt tennis thesedays is filled with boring interminable rallies that usually end in errors, and people saying they found the Wimbledon final boring. That might just be my experience though. TV ratings in most Western countries have been falling in recent years too I think.

(And I realise I've done a complete 180 from when I was negatively contrasting the WTA with the ATP earlier, but still )
These types of complaints remind me of when black men began taking over the NBA fifty or years ago, and many were complaining about how shot-making and strategy began to matter less, when in reality it did and still does greatly matter. It's just that athleticism began mattering a lot more than it once did. Every sport besides baseball and golf have shifted into something more athlete driven, and baseball is losing its popularity with the younger generation because it's stayed so stagnant.
Closed Thread