Donna Vekic - Volume 2 - Page 92 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #1366
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Luckily I didn't get to see a whole lot of it so I can't really comment, what I did see though wasn't too bad from Donna. Of course, this loss will hurt like hell, but I think it was a better performance by Donna than some of her previous matches. Seems like things are getting a bit better (feel free to call me crazy), no matter how glacially slow the process of improvement might seem.

To regain lost confidence is one of the toughest things a tennis player has to face, so I don't expect things to happen over night for her, but if she can keep it together and fight like hell on some lesser tournaments, she can definately get it back together. There is a reason why Venus Williams says that she is "brainwashed into being a champion", cause everybody who's into tennis knows how mental of a game it is.

Hopefully someone can help Donna keep believing that she can get back onto her path, cause we know she can play much better than she has been lately. There's no doubt she is working hard, even Chris Evert recently tweeted of seeing Donna working very hard at the gym, and it must be frustrating to work, yet find oneself stuck in a hole, but at one point or another hard work has to start paying off. It's "just" a matter of finding the right recipe for the ingredients at hand and getting the balance of fitness practice, tennis practice and choice of tournaments right. Easy, I know...

I'm not sure a break from tennis is what she needs right now, cause the season has just begun, but I do believe she could use some higher level ITF's for the moment. Don't know what they have in plan for after the Fed Cup, but I'd seriously consider spending a lot more time in the States this year. A tournament in Osprey (50k) is scheduled just between Miami and Charleston, assuming a player looses quite early in Miami, and assuming the main draw entry list isn't much tougher than last year so that she doesn't have to qualify. After those 3 there would be Dothan and Charlottesville right after Charleston and then Indian Harbour Beach after a one week break - all those tournaments are 50k's played on green clay. It would be brutal scheduling, but I think something like this could benefit her in the long run, even if it means skipping Indian Wells. A combination of surface and field toughness in these events could be just right to get her back on track in time for RG, and she could still play an event or two (Rome qualies for exameple) on red clay and get used to the conditions.

But anyway, we can only speculate which route will Mr. Felgate take at this point, it's Fed Cup time next for Miss D. Best of luck there
Yep Green Clay is a great transitional Clay Surface and I think that is the smartest route for her to take

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #1367
country flag Spencer.
JJ and company

Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
Yep Green Clay is a great transitional Clay Surface and I think that is the smartest route for her to take
Do you think she will play Charleston? Is it bad that I want her ranking to stay down so she has to qualify because I'm going to the Charleston qualies and I want to watch her play? I feel like an ass for saying that but it might be the only chance I can see her play I have tickets for the first day of main draw, so maybe I'll get lucky and she'll play first day of R1 if she makes it directly into the main draw

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

We'll always have Wimbly 07
Spencer. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #1368
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildeloltilde View Post
Do you think she will play Charleston? Is it bad that I want her ranking to stay down so she has to qualify because I'm going to the Charleston qualies and I want to watch her play? I feel like an ass for saying that but it might be the only chance I can see her play I have tickets for the first day of main draw, so maybe I'll get lucky and she'll play first day of R1 if she makes it directly into the main draw

It's OK I doubt she'll make MD

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #1369
country flag Spencer.
JJ and company

Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmmm, we'll no matter what if she does play it I'm hoping I get to watch I'd skip my tickets for the main Stadium to watch her on an outer court.

How is she on clay? Is it her worst surface? (I'm guessing yes lol)

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1370
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildeloltilde View Post
How is she on clay? Is it her worst surface? (I'm guessing yes lol)

By far - I believe that answers your first question BUT, she's never (to my knowledge at least) played on green clay before so she might be slightly better on it compared to European clay. Maybe.
ma re is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #1371
country flag Spencer.
JJ and company

As far as I know green clay here in the states is basically a hard court with a bit of crushed green brick on top

So you never know. She might do well.

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #1372
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know it's quite a different surface and fairly similar to hardcourts, which is why I think she should play on it, especially if her form doesn't improve by the time Charleston is scheduled for. In fact, if that happens I suggest much more than Charlestone on green clay, as you could see a few posts above.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #1373
country flag motek

motek is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
I've never ever seen a top 15 player play this bad.
I agree! Lisicki displayed some seriously pathetic game, if that was a game at all. The match was for Donna to take, but she is so down mentally, that's for sure.
motek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #1374
country flag chingching

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
By far - I believe that answers your first question BUT, she's never (to my knowledge at least) played on green clay before so she might be slightly better on it compared to European clay. Maybe.
She played at Orange Bowl 2011 (which AK won ) and got whipped by Mini Putin in R16. Howeveer I don't think that was because of the surface but simply that Mini Putin had a better H2H at the time and was probably a better play + went on to make the Final and lost to AK

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #1375
country flag ma re

I turn on the radio this morning and THIS is what I hear - for the first time. For those - like me - who don't know, it's one of the latest singles of one of our most famous rock/punk bands. Needless to say I almost fell off a chair laughing cause you know whom I thought of first... I wonder if she knows about it
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #1376
country flag chingching

OMFG I DON'T SPEAK CROATIAN BUT I AM STILL IN HYSTERICS

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #1377
country flag ma re

It eases the pain of reading German reports of the match vs Lisicki - readers' comments range from "Who is Donna Vekic?" to "it's a joke she had to fight so hard against a nobody"...don't know wether to laugh or to cry. Oh and, Sabine was apparently hurt yesterday, she started having shoulder pain during the second set. And Donna still couldn't close it out.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1378
country flag ma re

An interesting piece of stat - Donna has already played more doubles matches this year than in the previous two seasons combined (2:1). This is another aspect of the game which should get more attention IMO, and I believe it will, since her singles form is quite abysmal. No matter how bad she is in doubles, I don't see how focusing more on it could hurt her singles game. Of course, the problem of her ranking comes up cause that's why she can't enter many tournaments on her own, but maybe it'd be worth a try (and not to complicated) to obtain a WC or two for some doubles events.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #1379
country flag MaSharp

MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future

Lisicki withdraw from pattaya.

2004 2006 2008 2012 2014

Giorgi | Konjuh
MaSharp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #1380
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSharp View Post
Lisicki withdraw from pattaya.