Donna Vekic - Volume 2 - Page 20 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #286
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic - Volume 2

Ah shame about today, totaly saw this coming unfortunately.
Svitolina seems to be better shot maker.
Donna needed to play lot better to win it.
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #287
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

It's a little worrisome that as soon as she encountered a solid opponent, Donna simply folded.

Fortunately, thanks to a cakewalk draw, she takes home a cool 70 points.
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #288
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah a shame but Elina is a better player right now IMO
Shame this wasn't the final
Anyway, the only areas which I think Donna needs to improve on are consistency, defence and moving the ball around more and she'll be fine
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #289
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos for a fight in the second, but that first one was horror pure and simple. An error fest with bizzare shot selection and without any sort of plan of action. Svitolina is definately the better player at the moment, but Donna should've been much better prepared for this match. Case in point, her serve was virtually non-existant for half of the match and she was suppose to be the one with the big serve...? Once her serve was neutralized and her power taken care of (for which Svitolina needed something like 2 games) she was clueless for the next half a dozen games at least, which is really not acceptable. So she goes home now with two wins against journeywomen under her belt and after getting demolished by the first solid player she faced. Hardly something to be satisfied about. I think both she and her team have a lot to think about after this performance. Second set seemed more like her old self, but that's really not enough to save the overall impression today.
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #290
country flag RU90

RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future

Sadly, I stayed awake for that mess of a match. Donna simply couldn't find her way into the match today, even when it looked like she would in the second set. This is a missed opportunity...
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #291
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Kudos for a fight in the second, but that first one was horror pure and simple. An error fest with bizzare shot selection and without any sort of plan of action. Svitolina is definately the better player at the moment, but Donna should've been much better prepared for this match. Case in point, her serve was virtually non-existant for half of the match and she was suppose to be the one with the big serve...? Once her serve was neutralized and her power taken care of (for which Svitolina needed something like 2 games) she was clueless for the next half a dozen games at least, which is really not acceptable. So she goes home now with two wins against journeywomen under her belt and after getting demolished by the first solid player she faced. Hardly something to be satisfied about. I think both she and her team have a lot to think about after this performance. Second set seemed more like her old self, but that's really not enough to save the overall impression today.
This is why even though it is good for her ranking, playing tournaments like Baku doesn't do that much good for her in the long run. Still, I mean Svitolina played well and is quite underranked IMO so in reality although she couldn't really penetrate her, she really didn't play that badly it's just that Svitolina wouldn't let her hit through her...
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #292
country flag RU90

RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future RU90 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
This is why even though it is good for her ranking, playing tournaments like Baku doesn't do that much good for her in the long run. Still, I mean Svitolina played well and is quite underranked IMO so in reality although she couldn't really penetrate her, she really didn't play that badly it's just that Svitolina wouldn't let her hit through her...
I thought Donna played quite badly, actually. Her serve wasn't there today and she was missing routine shots after she opened up the court and had Svitolina on the run. Granted, Elina mixed up her shots nicely and played a solid match.

About playing these small tournaments: I think it is very valuable for younger, up-and-coming players to take their opportunities and win some matches at tournaments like Baku. It helps build their ranking and experience. Once they are established, then playing these smaller tournaments loses its purpose.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #293
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'd say she played badly today. A lot of her shots which should've been clean winners ended up being unforced errors. I mean, for cryin' out loud her attempts at lobs looked more like attempts at killing birds, her 2nd serve was an easy target to say the least and her movement expectedly a weak spot. Yes, she was up against an in-form player, but that's still no excuse for what happened out there, cause Svitolina found something like a thousand different ways to win a point today. The difference between the two in terms of ranking is something like 8 spots in Donna's favor ATM and Donna today looked like the one lagging behind by 80. Overall not a good sign for the upcoming weeks.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #294
country flag chingching

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU90 View Post
I thought Donna played quite badly, actually. Her serve wasn't there today and she was missing routine shots after she opened up the court and had Svitolina on the run. Granted, Elina mixed up her shots nicely and played a solid match.

About playing these small tournaments: I think it is very valuable for younger, up-and-coming players to take their opportunities and win some matches at tournaments like Baku. It helps build their ranking and experience. Once they are established, then playing these smaller tournaments loses its purpose.
What did she achieve from this. She got 70 Points and beat 2 Players she would have beaten when she was 15 I mean aside from building her ranking and getting cash there is no point Has she ever played a Premier that wasn't a PM before... I mean I understand that she has age eligibility and she needs to make the most of her tournaments and you all think I hate her but playing some American tournaments would have been a much better option IMO...

Quote:
Oh I'd say she played badly today. A lot of her shots which should've been clean winners ended up being unforced errors. I mean, for cryin' out loud her attempts at lobs looked more like attempts at killing birds, her 2nd serve was an easy target to say the least and her movement expectedly a weak spot. Yes, she was up against an in-form player, but that's still no excuse for what happened out there, cause Svitolina found something like a thousand different ways to win a point today. The difference between the two in terms of ranking is something like 8 spots in Donna's favor ATM and Donna today looked like the one lagging behind by 80. Overall not a good sign for the upcoming weeks.
Still, there were elements of good play and she didn't hit that many unforced errors. What disappointed me was her really negative attitude
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #295
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
What disappointed me was her really negative attitude
I agree with this. At some points she seemed like she's about to burst into tears, at others totally helpless and clueless, a lot of frustration coming out of her today and it affected her game a lot.
Plus, she had three cases of the ball sliding over the net after catching the tip and she didn't apologize for either of those - not nice to see. I know she was frustrated, but it's common courtesy in tennis.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #296
country flag chingching

Quote:
I agree with this. At some points she seemed like she's about to burst into tears, at others totally helpless and clueless, a lot of frustration coming out of her today and it affected her game a lot.
Plus, she had three cases of the ball sliding over the net after catching the tip and she didn't apologize for either of those - not nice to see. I know she was frustrated, but it's common courtesy in tennis.
Yeah the one in the 1st game she kinda did but the others were really disappointing. I didn't see the end but I am sure the handshake was bitchy

Still, 70 Points Where's next?
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #297
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Was hoping she could pull off the win, did anyone see the match if so can they give detail on the match ?

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #298
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Was hoping she could pull off the win, did anyone see the match if so can they give detail on the match ?
I think quite a few of us saw the match, but there's not really too much to say about it what hasn't already been said. Donna was outplayed on pretty much any aspect, gave a good number of points away for free, served poorly, stayed on the baseline 99% of the time with her shots often landing short and soft. Svitolina took advantage of everything, dictated the points, seemed like the one with a much more potent serve, was creative out there by changing the pace and coming forward when necessary and overall feeling it right when is a good time to come in. She was the assertive one and pulled Donna from side to side, quite successfully most of the times. Her groundstrokes were sharp and her mind calm and focused - quite the opposite of Donna, who tried to force a change, but not really by doing things much differently, it was usually just by trying to generate more power. She also wasn't moving well, and Svitolina won a fair number of points by generating great returns on Donna's serves, either by clean winners or by returning right under Donna's feet before she had a chance to move away. In the second set Svitolina seemed to have lost focus a bit and driffted away, so Donna could take the initiative, which she did on several occassions, but she was still making too many errors to really get back into the match. Basically, the better player won.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #299
country flag Spencer.
Backhand Pays the Bills

Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not really sure what the problem with playing Baku is?

If she was 22 and ranked inside the top 30 and played here instead I'd be a bit concerned, but for 17 and playing a limited # of tournaments a year she chose the one with the expected weaker field and the tournament she would have a better chance at winning (in my opinion she wouldn't have won Stanford anyway). What's so wrong with that? If she plays Baku year after year and her ranking improves year after year I'd be concerned. But for now it seemed like the smartest move...

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Spencer. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #300
country flag RU90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildeloltilde View Post
I'm not really sure what the problem with playing Baku is?

If she was 22 and ranked inside the top 30 and played here instead I'd be a bit concerned, but for 17 and playing a limited # of tournaments a year she chose the one with the expected weaker field and the tournament she would have a better chance at winning (in my opinion she wouldn't have won Stanford anyway). What's so wrong with that? If she plays Baku year after year and her ranking improves year after year I'd be concerned. But for now it seemed like the smartest move...
Exactly.