What's up with NYC and these micro apartments? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #16
Sarindipity

Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's up with NYC and these micro apartments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
pfft sounds like someone has never lived in NYC in their 20's
living in manhattan means having the world's best bars, restaurants, sports, art, shopping within arms reach. you'll be dripping in vibrant culture the moment you step outside your front door. not a 1hr drive to get a "fix"..
will i still be living here in my 30's? hell no. i want a real house with a huge basement (with pool, pingpong, and foosball tables) and backyard overlooking the ocean but right now i'd rather be here than anywhere else even if it means overpaying on rent.

edit- i do not live in a tiny studio though. not sure i could go to that extreme. but to each his own i guess.
How many of those things can you actually do when most of your money is spent on rent? And correct me if im wrong but arent most of those things in NYC expensive? Doesn't seem like you can enjoy the outdoor life that much if you dont make more than a decent amount of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkist View Post
serena's not gonna win it. you know it. it's a stupid award yes but she's not gonna get it. like that 18. it's not gonna happen. bye now.
Sarindipity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #17
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarindipity View Post
How many of those things can you actually do when most of your money is spent on rent? And correct me if im wrong but arent most of those things in NYC expensive? Doesn't seem like you can enjoy the outdoor life that much if you dont make more than a decent amount of money.
yeah, you have to either a) have a good job or b) not have any savings or c) find a mate with money.
of the people in their 20s living here, i'd say the split is 20-75-5...
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #18
Sarindipity

Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah, you have to either a) have a good job or b) not have any savings or c) find a mate with money.
of the people in their 20s living here, i'd say the split is 20-75-5...
I'm assuming that's a typo?

Quote:
serena's not gonna win it. you know it. it's a stupid award yes but she's not gonna get it. like that 18. it's not gonna happen. bye now.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #19
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm assuming that's a typo?
not a typo..i meant they spend all they earn each month and carry a balance on their credit card
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #20
Sarindipity

Quote:
not a typo..i meant they spend all they earn each month and carry a balance on their credit card
Oh, i understand lol. You won't see many people owning credit cards in Europe.

Quote:
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #21
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

During the school year I live in a tiny little basement apartment the size of a very small bedroom, that has a little bathroom attached to it. Plus it has a very small half window where I can barely see the outside because of a large bush in front of the window. This is in Bloomington, Indiana. By the end of the semester I'm always going partially insane trying to live in such a small space. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to live in that space permanently (or in an even smaller space). You must have to be crazily organized to do it successfully, and I am not. But then again I grew up in a semi-rural area where most people have huge backyards and decent sized houses. I don't think my hometown even has any apartments; people only live in houses.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #22
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
pfft sounds like someone has never lived in NYC in their 20's
living in manhattan means having the world's best bars, restaurants, sports, art, shopping within arms reach. you'll be dripping in vibrant culture the moment you step outside your front door. not a 1hr drive to get a "fix"..
will i still be living here in my 30's? hell no. i want a real house with a huge basement (with pool, pingpong, and foosball tables) and backyard overlooking the ocean but right now i'd rather be here than anywhere else even if it means overpaying on rent.

edit- i do not live in a tiny studio though. not sure i could go to that extreme. but to each his own i guess.
Of course there's no problem if someone can afford to live like you do in a fabulous 10 room apt on Park Ave. But I still wonder if it's worth it to live in 70 square feet and share a toilet with six other people on the floor.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #23
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That sounds like fun. But you're right. When you're young and not thinking about the future none of that matters.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #24
country flag wild.river

Quote:
Oh, i understand lol. You won't see many people owning credit cards in Europe.
that's smart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Of course there's no problem if someone can afford to live like you do in a fabulous 10 room apt on Park Ave. But I still wonder if it's worth it to live in 70 square feet and share a toilet with six other people on the floor.
i live in a 1 bedroom apt with my boyfriend
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #25
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer living in studio apartments. One small room with an attached bathroom is all I need. Maybe it will change when I get married and raise children. The reason is that I hate doing household work, my home is generally a mess (how ungay) and its almost impossible to get good maids here. However because of safety issues I live in a gated community. If an apartment building is extremely safe then a studio apartment within that is all I need.
I love living in big houses too but you would need an army of maids and that's redundant expenditure. That's what I do during vacations. Check myself in a 5 star hotel and sleep the whole day with probably 2 3 hours of sightseeing max.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #26
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a studio apartment which is pretty small - maybe not as small as some of the places talked about here - but it's basically one main room, a little kitchenette bit and a small bathroom. It's fine ... I have got a big window that looks out onto a garden so that kind of makes it seem bigger than it is I guess. Main problem is that I can't play piano too loud because of all the bastards in the surrounding flats
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #27
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

A 32 sq m (344 sq ft) transformable apartment:

businessinsider.com
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #28
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilePhile View Post
A 32 sq m (344 sq ft) transformable apartment:

I saw that before and didn't like it.

This studio on the other hand...

Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #29
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute

I always wondered how Carrie Bradshaw was able to afford her very decently sized apartment in SATC with her "writer" credentials translating to a tiny column in some random newspaper
I know it is fiction but still
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #30
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-MAC View Post
I always wondered how Carrie Bradshaw was able to afford her very decently sized apartment in SATC with her "writer" credentials translating to a tiny column in some random newspaper
I know it is fiction but still
Weirdly enough, I was talking to my mom about this the other day actually. She would have to have been a best selling author to afford that .
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote