What's up with NYC and these micro apartments? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute
What's up with NYC and these micro apartments?

I have been reading and watching videos on the tube about these people who live in these ridiculously small spaces just to be in NYC and Manhattan in particular.

This seems to me to be the biggest pile of that people have fallen for in a long time. Folks actually have come to believe that they are happy in basically rat holes. And many of them are 5th floor walk ups.

On one of the tube responses, somebody posted what I've long believed. One of the reasons that NYC seems to be filled with unpleasant people who are always in a rush is that they really live like rats to go along with being in the rat race. And the amount of money that people pay for the privilege of living in some of these places is outrageous.

My master bathroom in my house is three times the size of many of these places.

$1200 to $1500 to live in a place so small that you can barely turn around. And in many cases having to share a toilet and shower with everybody else on a floor? And bragging about living in this. WTF is wrong with these people?

And Bloomberg is now pushing these small spaces for people. I'm willing to bet you any amount of money that Bloomberg would rather run through hell with gasoline draws on and a kerosene enema up his ass before he would live in that mess.

And the laws in NYC allow these landlords to put people in these basically prison cell type accomodations and charge an arm and a leg for it. And these Stockholm syndrome folks fall for it.

Well, whattayagunnado?

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Lucemferre

Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's up with NYC and these micro apartments?

Lets be honest, you want to live in one of those holes but can't afford it..?
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #3
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people I know (who have just graduated college) have these romantic notions about working hard in the city and waiting to get their big break and they are willing to do a lot for it. I can't completely blame them because there are more jobs there than there are in other places, but I think a lot of them come to realize that NYC is just too expensive for them .

Last edited by debopero : Jun 15th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #4
country flag J.Bravo

J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute J.Bravo has a reputation beyond repute

This is why it is smarter to live in one of the outer boroughs, like the Bronx and Queens. You'll get more space for your money, be 5-20 mins away from Manhattan, have access to 24hr transportation and still be able to enjoy the perks of living in NYC.
J.Bravo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
country flag ~{X}~

~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a lot of space in Manhattan especially, but everyone wants to live there because it's Manhattan, you have everything there.

I live in Queens, 10 minutes from Manhattan on the subway... but I have always lived here. It definitely is better if you can find a place in Queens or Brooklyn, because you can get a nice 2 bedroom for like 1,600 if lucky, depending on the neighborhood.

New York, like Paris is very expensive for small spaces. It's not about how big your home is, but where you live.

WOZNIACKI BOUCHARD VENUS
~{X}~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'd rather live in a studio in the middle of a city than a big house in the middle of nowhere but that's just my personal preference. I don't need much space and need to be in a walkable area with lots of people.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucemferre View Post
Lets be honest, you want to live in one of those holes but can't afford it..?
Yeah right. I'll stick with my 5 bedroom, 4 full bath place on 1.5 acres with beautiful peaceful scenery, thank you very much.

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #8
country flag HippityHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
I know I'd rather live in a studio in the middle of a city than a big house in the middle of nowhere but that's just my personal preference. I don't need much space and need to be in a walkable area with lots of people.
A lot of people clearly feel like you do. But different strokes for different folks, I guess. However it does seem to me that many of these places especially in Manhattan are no different than the tenements that people were squeezed into during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Of course in the old days people knew they were getting screwed. Nowadays people are willingly bending over.

Nonetheless it's an interesting social phenomenon. I was reading one article that said the middle class is endangered in New York. However many people identify NYC with Manhattan and there is clearly more to it than that.

Also, I suspect that the choices are not as stark as a studio in the middle of the city and a house in the middle of nowhere. Is there nothing in between?

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #9
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any actual point in this thread other than to show off how you live?
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably the sort of person who wants to live in NYC is the sort of person who has/wants to spend their time doing a lot of things outside their apartment, in which case a very small apartment might be annoying but remains a mere inconvenience they can live with.

There are some ridiculous situations out there, such as people sharing studios, or this real craigslist ad.

I just don't see problems with small well-contained studio (with bathroom and small kitchen). A lot of people share apartments with roommates they don't previously know anyway.

If you want to understand the phenomena at a more fundamental level, this is a good read: http://pedestrianobservations.wordpr...d-romanticism/
A lot of people are seeking a sense of immediacy in their community, and only a dense urban core can provide that.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Jun 15th, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #11
country flag HippityHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
Is there any actual point in this thread other than to show off how you live?
The point was to see if I could get you to come in with your typical . And it worked.

If you don't like the thread, do what I do and keep it moving. It's not required that you comment on every thread on TF. I don't.

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #12
country flag HippityHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Presumably the sort of person who wants to live in NYC is the sort of person who has/wants to spend their time doing a lot of things outside their apartment, in which case a very small apartment might be annoying but remains a mere inconvenience they can live with.

There are some ridiculous situations out there, such as people sharing studios, or this real craigslist ad.

I just don't see problems with small well-contained studio (with bathroom and small kitchen). A lot of people share apartments with roommates they don't previously know anyway.

If you want to understand the phenomena at a more fundamental level, this is a good read: http://pedestrianobservations.wordpr...d-romanticism/
Thanks for those links. I don't know if gentrification applies to the micro apt trend, however.

I know that in Los Angeles there is an attempt to import the New York "downtown" lifestyle but I don't think it's going to work there because people in LA are accustomed to having much more living space. And of course, Manhattan in particular grew "up" rather than "out" which is why LA is so car dependent and a car in NYC can actually be a liability. And also people in NYC seem to be accustomed to paying a lot for very little in the way of space.

But you're right. If people are content with just having a place to sleep that would be OK. Of course it's fine with me at any rate. Nobody need my approval. I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1HIJ...<br /> <br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6kOxm0FzNs

Last edited by HippityHop : Jun 15th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

That's why people are fleeing the Northeast for the South, based on the 2010 Census. $200,000 will buy a large house in the South, but $200,000 will buy only a tiny apartment in the Northeast.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #14
country flag HippityHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
That's why people are fleeing the Northeast for the South, based on the 2010 Census. $200,000 will buy a large house in the South, but $200,000 will buy only a tiny apartment in the Northeast.
Not to mention the freezing weather in the Northeast. It gets cold in the South but not for too long.

And depending on where you are, $115,000 will buy you a very nice 3bd, 2 and 1/2 bath home in the Southeast. And you're really not that far from the East Coast if you just have to have your East coast fix.

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #15
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

pfft sounds like someone has never lived in NYC in their 20's
living in manhattan means having the world's best bars, restaurants, sports, art, shopping within arms reach. you'll be dripping in vibrant culture the moment you step outside your front door. not a 1hr drive to get a "fix"..
will i still be living here in my 30's? hell no. i want a real house with a huge basement (with pool, pingpong, and foosball tables) and backyard overlooking the ocean but right now i'd rather be here than anywhere else even if it means overpaying on rent.

edit- i do not live in a tiny studio though. not sure i could go to that extreme. but to each his own i guess.
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote