Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass - Page 21 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 01:40 AM   #301
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass

I have watched the vid a few times now and it really doesn't come across that bad at all now. The press are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Andy. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #302
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
At least we know what will win the "Best Maria Quote of 2013" poll
true dat!
malarkist is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 01:42 AM   #303
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

* Wake up. Rub crust out of my eyes. Open my laptop. Type "Sharapova" into Google. Read headline at the top of the page: "Sharapova Blast Serena". Winces. Considers skipping Wimbledon this year.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 01:47 AM   #304
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky80 View Post
* Wake up. Rub crust out of my eyes. Open my laptop. Type "Sharapova" into Google. Read headline at the top of the page: "Sharapova Blast Serena". Winces. Considers skipping Wimbledon this year.
This

But I may be more excited now
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 03:33 AM   #305
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
Bring Serena on. I saw no lies in Maria's statements and quite frankly am sick of sitting and watching Serena open her big mouth with absolutely no penalties because nobody has the guts to do anything about it. She needs to focus on herself instead of others. For someone that wins 'everything' and has cemented a spot in history she sure seems to be a bit bothered by seemingly insignificant things. The 'cool parties' comment is just an absolute classic...I swear she has the mind of a 16yr old.
Normally I don't care for off court drama. I prefer the drama to be on court. But after her gross comments on Stuebenville(which I think she totally made and Rolling Stone do tape their interviews probably for this very reason) Serena needs to be reminded that she has her own shit as well. And really who likes a haughty, judgmental asshole anyway? She's just lucky Paula Deen's racism came to light and James Gandolfini died this week otherwise the fallout over those comments would've been bigger.

So yeah go Maria. She's already received numerous beatdowns from Serena why bother being more afraid at this point?

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 03:52 AM   #306
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

All of the headlines are Maria "rips", "slams", "blasts" Serena. The media got exactly what they were looking for. They played Maria like a fiddle. Even ESPN's Sportscenter did a piece on this and they NEVER touch women's tennis with a 10-foot pole. This is the kind of story it takes to get their attention. Not actual tennis, just a manufactured catfight.

It was completely unncessary and avoidable and it falls on Maria's shoulders. She had the power to snuff it out for good with a simple "no comment" approach. And now this will be a story and distraction throughout Wimbledon, however long she lasts.

If I was to be ultra-cynical, I might say this move was a strategic one by Max and Maria to garner attention, which would help Sugarpova, increase Twitter followers, etc. But I won't go that far.

I'm just disappointed in Maria. I was absolutely convinced for the past few days that she was going to take the high road. I know that looking at the big tennis picture, this is a small thing. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We're supposed to be discussing the excitement of the start of the most prestigious tournament of the year. Instead, we get this from its two biggest stars.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 04:02 AM   #307
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

I see no reason why Maria had to take the high road. Serena threw some rather unprovoked shade, calling her (or some other player if you're naive enough to think that) boring and judged her relationship. This is from someone who never talks about her personal life. It was entirely disrespectful and hypocritical, and Maria was well within her right to fight back. There's only so many times you can say "no comment". If Sharapova had not called her out no one would have. It's unfortunate, and there's no turning back, but hey, people have been complaining about the lack of drama behind the scenes in this sport. So, here it is. If Maria and Serena meet in the final it'll probably be the most watched female tennis match in quite some time.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 04:03 AM   #308
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
All of the headlines are Maria "rips", "slams", "blasts" Serena. The media got exactly what they were looking for. They played Maria like a fiddle. Even ESPN's Sportscenter did a piece on this and they NEVER touch women's tennis with a 10-foot pole. This is the kind of story it takes to get their attention. Not actual tennis, just a manufactured catfight.

It was completely unncessary and avoidable and it falls on Maria's shoulders. She had the power to snuff it out for good with a simple "no comment" approach. And now this will be a story and distraction throughout Wimbledon, however long she lasts.

If I was to be ultra-cynical, I might say this move was a strategic one by Max and Maria to garner attention, which would help Sugarpova, increase Twitter followers, etc. But I won't go that far.

I'm just disappointed in Maria. I was absolutely convinced for the past few days that she was going to take the high road. I know that looking at the big tennis picture, this is a small thing. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We're supposed to be discussing the excitement of the start of the most prestigious tournament of the year. Instead, we get this from its two biggest stars.
Mexi, the only thing I agree with you is that for Martha to take the obvious bait after 1 or 2 days of Sarin's published comment is extremely careless for her standards. That was her tipping point, there're only that many times you can be the gracious loser and take the high road, especially when you are the purported target.

For the record, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Martha's comment, it's just the way she fell right into the journalists' trap that I'm rather pissed about, mostly at the media actually.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 04:52 AM   #309
country flag stegall

stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all

As far as it being a distraction for Maria at Wimbledon, I don't think so. She doesn't play well against Serena regardless. I would only be disappointed if she loses early again or before semis.
stegall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM   #310
country flag LoveMasha2008

LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I'm just disappointed in Maria. I was absolutely convinced for the past few days that she was going to take the high road.
If every player took the high road, a big mouth bitch like Serena would never get punished for her irresponsible comments on other people's personal life. What disappoints you more: A bitch getting punished or not?
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 06:59 AM   #311
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMasha2008 View Post
If every player took the high road, a big mouth bitch like Serena would never get punished for her irresponsible comments on other people's personal life. What disappoints you more: A bitch getting punished or not?
The thing about Serena, though, is her RS comments are everything I expect from her. I've always had little regard for her as a person. For the past 15 years, she's continued to be immature, inelegant, and inarticulate with interviews and public speaking. She's shown minimal growth since she was a teenager and she's one of the most fake people in sports I know.

I hold Maria to a much higher standard. We've seen the growth and maturity from her, particularly since coming back from her shoulder surgery. She's been much more thoughtful and insightful with press conferences and interviews in recent years and conducted herself on and off the court with grace and class. Those are big reasons why I've continued to admire her more and more.

She lowered herself yesterday to Serena's level and got in the mud with her. And she's actually now given Serena the opportunity to be the one ending up looking like the "adult" and putting a stop to this nonsense in her press conference coming up. She could be the one to score points and garner public sympathy and totally eliminate any heat that was left from her rape comments. Maria made a tactical mistake here and put the attention more on herself, instead of letting Serena stew alone with yet another PR blunder on her part. Serena was getting punished and feeling pressure from the press with her rape comments before Maria opened her mouth. I just think Maria made it a lot easier for her now to quickly get past this.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM   #312
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

All Serena can do is refuse to comment.

Any response stating it wasn't about Maria will bring back the rape thing as she all but denied saying it.
Getting further into it will only bring more mud.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 07:44 AM   #313
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
Mexi, the only thing I agree with you is that for Martha to take the obvious bait after 1 or 2 days of Sarin's published comment is extremely careless for her standards. That was her tipping point, there're only that many times you can be the gracious loser and take the high road, especially when you are the purported target.

For the record, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Martha's comment, it's just the way she fell right into the journalists' trap that I'm rather pissed about, mostly at the media actually.
I don't think she took the bate. Maria is very professional and PR prepared always, so I'm sure she discussed this with Max after the RS magazine and he gave her the green light to comment.
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #314
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

From most of the articles I read, the general commenters have no problem with Maria's comments. They take a dig at Serena's original comment (esp. the "cool parties" part)--but probably because there is still bitterness from the Steubenville comment. Anyway, my point is Maria is not getting backlash from the public. It's just TF.
Mrs. Dimitrova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #315
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Me and AnnieWillIKnow were discussing this podcast yesterday and you guys should hear it. They say why they are absolutely sure Serena was talking about Maria and you can hear some stuff we don't know about it.
http://nochallengesremaining.podbean...ledon-preview/
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote