Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4 - Page 51 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #751
debby
Senior Member
 
debby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 26,208
debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

debby is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #752
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 29,470
RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEFIST View Post
I think if Maria would add dimensions like this to her game, she would go to another level - not Serena level, but another just the same.



If "clay court tennis" doesn't win on clay than what good is playing a "clay court style."

But honestly you do Serena and Maria disservice. Neither player has had ideal results on clay over the last several years. Maria worked hard, developed more of the skills necessary to win on clay and then won last year.


Serena woked hard to develop better clay technique, and that hard work has paid off.


The major flaw in your argument is thinking that one has to be a "clay courter" to win on clay. Rather, your thinking should be "you have to have clay SKILLS to win on clay." And that 's nothing new, otherwise Nav' and others would have never won on clay.


Serena and Maria have worked hard to acquire/improve those skills. That's why they have the results and should be applauded for it.
As usual, your points are rock solid.
__________________
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #753
country flag sweetadri06
Senior Member
 
sweetadri06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,610
sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

People asking where are the clay courters? The clay courters are there-Kuznetsova, jankovic, errani, suarez navarro. They just aren't good enough to beat the top 2 in the world. Kuznetsova had her chance but Serena came up with the goods this year and delivered. It was the same way with Jankovic against Sharapova. Serena has improved her mental toughness, fitness, tactics, and sliding on this surface beating every traditional 'clay courter' on the way. She thoroughly deserves her success this year. Maria deserved to win last year too, no one could have beaten her except Serena. Anyone saying otherwise just looks foolish.
__________________
18
sweetadri06 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #754
Macomere
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,744
Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaniero View Post
Serena winning yet another slam title is better than the banshee winning one, I suppose. Banshee loses points too, so that's nice.

Still, orrible winner either way although it could've been worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaniero View Post
What else can she do? She hits hard. That's it.

They lost but they use their heads and don't just strike away as hard as they can. Kirilenko may be classed as a ballbasher (Roboson too perhaps) but I've always liked her for some reason and Roboson is the British hope, so I don't mind it from them. The others though use different shots: slices, topspin, moonballs when necessary, volley etc. and mix it up. They use their heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaniero View Post
I am correct. Serena winning was indeed the better scenario but it's still pretty horrible. Better than the banshee winning but still bad. Trash final.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaniero View Post
. Generating interest to tennis is all fine and dandy but winning on clay by just hitting a hard ball is not supposed to happen. This part of the year is for claycourters who use spin, slices etc. Both of these players just hit the ball as hard as they can, yet they win everything? Ridiculous.

You sound mad.
Macomere is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #755
country flag iWill
Senior Member
 
iWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,414
iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akil View Post

You sound mad.
__________________
******************


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #756
country flag Rena P
Senior Member
 
Rena P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West London
Posts: 543
Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of Rena P has much to be proud of
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
People asking where are the clay courters? The clay courters are there-Kuznetsova, jankovic, errani, suarez navarro. They just aren't good enough to beat the top 2 in the world. Kuznetsova had her chance but Serena came up with the goods this year and delivered. It was the same way with Jankovic against Sharapova. Serena has improved her mental toughness, fitness, tactics, and sliding on this surface beating every traditional 'clay courter' on the way. She thoroughly deserves her success this year. Maria deserved to win last year too, no one could have beaten her except Serena. Anyone saying otherwise just looks foolish.
Where are all the clay courters? Serena dismantled them all and sent them packing
Rena P is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #757
country flag sweetadri06
Senior Member
 
sweetadri06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,610
sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena P View Post
Where are all the clay courters? Serena dismantled them all and sent them packing
Exactly.
__________________
18
sweetadri06 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #758
country flag hablo
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 47,827
hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
She can be competing in a sport and near the top because her peers with the exception of Serena (and I'm omitting Venus cause of her illness) have no great skills and talent to beat her. Maria is a tennis player. Venus and Serena are ATHLETES who just happens to play tennis. There's a big difference in the two. Venus and Serena would be successful regardless if they played tennis or basket ball because they are athletes. Just like Deon Sanders and Bo Jackson was good at playing more than one professional sport because they were athletes. Before Michael Jordan devoted all of his time to basket ball, he too played baseball.

So much nonsense. in this post. Wow.
What makes you think Serena and Venus would be any good at basketball? Michael Jordan tried baseball and he failed miserably. Just because you're good in one sport and athletic doesn't mean you will be successfull in another one.
Very few athletes in one sport are able to convert to another (they do exist but it's not common. ex. Clara Hughes). I don't buy your Sharpie is not athletic nonsense. She is or she would not be able to compete period with the others. She just isn't as good as Serena.
__________________
GO HABS GO

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #759
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 29,470
RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Look at the bright side Willytards.
Now you have a reason to hate Maria forever
Well, I for one don't "hate" her.
In truth, I feel sorry (pity) towards her.

Look, she just lost to her main rival for the 13th time in just as many attempts.
That's gotta eat at anyone. Especially at an elite level athlete like Sharapova.
You and I both recognize the fact that she's a proud woman who works her ass off and hates to lose, just as much as Serena.
Problem though, is that no matter what she's done over the last 9 years, she just CAN NOT break Serena's victory shell.

I mean did you see her coach(es)?
I've never seen such raw intense desire for their player to win.
That kinda shocked me, tbh.
That worried, and then sullen face...
It was as if their very lives depended in this win.
__________________
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #760
country flag T-rex
Senior Member
 
T-rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,638
T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
T-rex...

This was a superb post on so many levels.

Serena has just hammered the last nail into the coffin of doubt.
There just isn't any surface left that she hasn't conquered.
Coupled with the fact that her game is as complete as she'll likely get it, and that she need not even make further tweeks to overcome any more major weaknesses.
There is no longer any valid reason for anyone to deny that she is GOAT.

But I'll wait another 5 seconds because I feel a general disturbance (Denial) in the Force.
I'll have to consult with Obiwan Kenobi on this threat.
Agreed. And from a business standpoint, that will be settled to when we get the TV rating for this match. And I can assure you, the audience for today's match is going to blow away last year's French Open TV rating. When Serena won on clay, that was it. There is absolutely nothing left to dispute.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #761
country flag M@chete
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 268
M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold M@chete is a splendid one to behold
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenga View Post
Are you mad?????
No, why should I? It is just a fact. It is not a compliment. They don't care about Serena.
M@chete is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #762
country flag Iblis
Senior Member
 
Iblis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rome
Posts: 2,487
Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaniero View Post
They lost but they use their heads and don't just strike away as hard as they can. Kirilenko may be classed as a ballbasher (Roboson too perhaps) but I've always liked her for some reason and Roboson is the British hope, so I don't mind it from them. The others though use different shots: slices, topspin, moonballs when necessary, volley etc. and mix it up. They use their heads.
Well, no reason to apologize, she definitely isn't a ballbasher.
__________________
- Мари́я Ю́рьевна Кириле́нко -
Iblis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #763
country flag Ryusuke Tenma
Senior Member
 
Ryusuke Tenma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wherever My Name Is Said
Posts: 2,096
Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light Ryusuke Tenma is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
By who?
I'm not saying anyone does. Rather, I'm saying I could understand if someone called her that. She's closer to being one than the other players in my sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akil View Post

You sound mad.
Not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iblis View Post
Well, no reason to apologize, she definitely isn't a ballbasher.
I didn't think she was.
__________________
AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA
FUTURE SLAM CHAMPION AND WORLD NO.1

Simona Halep...perhaps a bright spot in an otherwise dark tour?
Caroline Wozniacki...underrated former #1 with a hopeful return to form in the future.
Errani, Schiavone, Vinci...Talented tacticians who use variety and their heads.
Ryusuke Tenma is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #764
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 29,470
RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adal View Post
Serena Had no doubt she was going to win the FO this year. It's unbelievable what kind of a player she's become these days, unstoppable.

Maria played quite well, but she's just not as good Serena, it's as simple as that. The comment about Serena's build is a bit in a poor taste, but understandable she's so frustrated having lost so many important matches to Serena in the last couple of years.
Serena can best be described as ...

A force of nature...



or,

A weapon of mass destruction...




WTA style!

__________________
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer

Last edited by RVD : Jun 8th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
RVD is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #765
country flag Foxy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,620
Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 Final : Serena Williams (1) def Maria Sharapova (2) 6-4 ; 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
So much nonsense. in this post. Wow.
What makes you think Serena and Venus would be any good at basketball? Michael Jordan tried baseball and he failed miserably. Just because you're good in one sport and athletic doesn't mean you will be successfull in another one.
Very few athletes in one sport are able to convert to another (they do exist but it's not common. ex. Clara Hughes). I don't buy your Sharpie is not athletic nonsense. She is or she would not be able to compete period with the others. She just isn't as good as Serena.

I was using this analogy because I do believe that Venus and Serena would have been great at another sport. And I'll agree with you that Maria is an athlete, she's just SLOW and has LIMITED athletic abilities, and Maria is genetically inferior in that regard because no matter what she does she will never be an athlete to the caliber of Serena, Venus, Kimmy, Justine, Kutzy, Jen Cap, Seles, Amelie, Na, Francesca, and others.
Foxy is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios