Race row over Serena boos (article) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #1
country flag angele87

angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future
Race row over Serena boos (article)

I don't think this has been posted yet and I found it interesting ( to say the least) so here ya go

Race row over Serena boos
By Richard Yallop
27jan03
AUSTRALIAN Open tennis champion Serena Williams's mother Oracene Price believes a racial element contributed to the Melbourne crowd's occasionally hostile reaction to her daughter.

Ms Price, whose daughters Serena and Venus contested Saturday's women's final, has told The New York Times she believed a racial component was involved in the crowd's resistance to an all-Williams final. Her remarks were sparked by the boos given to Serena during her semi-final on Thursday against Belgium's Kim Clijsters, who is Lleyton Hewitt's girlfriend.

Small sections of the crowd in Rod Laver Arena booed in the final set when Serena took an injury break for a blistered foot, and again when she won.

Ms Price said: "I guess it's because the environment of tennis has mostly been white. Especially over here in a culture where you see that people have conquered other people who were indigenous to this country.

"And the same thing in the US. I think it's a bit of arrogance, more or less: who has to be on top and who has to be on the bottom."

Ms Price could not be contacted yesterday, flying home to Florida with her daughters.

Former Grand Slam winner Margaret Court said she thought the jeers resulted from the length of the injury break. "I don't think it had anything to do with colour," she said. "Australian crowds respect ability, and the problem in the final was they didn't know which sister to support."

Network Seven commentator and former Davis Cup player John Alexander said: "Growing up in tennis in Sydney with Evonne Cawley, I felt crowd behaviour was never based on race."

He recalled the autobiography of former black American tennis champion Althea Gibson, who wrote that Australia was one of the first places she had not felt discrimination.

"I can understand what Oracene says because of the prejudice the family may have suffered in the US, but the reception given to Clijsters was because of her association with Lleyton, and the fact that she's the closest thing we have to a women's champion."

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #2
country flag CC

CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute
*shrug*

(thanks angele)
CC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #3
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Price has got to be wrong because no Aussie would ever restrict or demean another individual because their skin color was not white.
TeeRexx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think they were racist, just ignorant idiots who dont have anyone else to support because aussie womens tennis is in shambles.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #5
Hulet

Hulet has disabled reputation
LOL b/c I first read the title as "race row over serena's boobs")

When your run biological experiments, you need a certain type of "control" to eliminate the effect of some of the factors you are not testing. The control and the subject you are testing react similarly to every agent except the one you are testing for. Without the control, it is impossible to determine what the cause of a reaction is b/c there are so many factors that might lead to the same reaction.

Similarly, why the crowd booed serena during and after the match is hard to determine. I am not even sure whether the people doing the booing know what inner motive forced them to act as that. So, we need to run another 'control' experiment for next year AO which would have the following scenario:

-kim and lleyton break up
-serena starts dating lleyton
-the australian media labels serena "almost ozzie"
-kim and serena reach the semi
-kim takes extended injury time during the match with serena
-Observe if the crowd booes kim.
Hulet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #6
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Race row over Serena boos (article)

Quote:
Originally posted by angele87
Ms Price said: "I guess it's because the environment of tennis has mostly been white. Especially over here in a culture where you see that people have conquered other people who were indigenous to this country.
I wasn't aware that Oracene was an expert on Australia and its people.

Well, you learn something new every day.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #7
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Kart - The issues of Australia and it's people is a matter of well documented fact, I do believe.
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #8
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you an expert on it as well then ?
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #9
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute
this is a bunch of BULL. the crowd wasbooing Serena not because of the color of her skin,but because of the fact that allof asudden she took a medical time out for blisters on her feet and she made it seem like it they hurt really bad,when in fact we people know that blisters don't hurt at all,aslong asyou don't rip off the skin. they booed her because she dug herself out of a hole there and saved herself from defeat

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #10
Hulet

Hulet has disabled reputation
Naldo, don't you think it is almost impossible for the crowd to see whether the blister was broken or not from that distant and angle? And, since when is "digging oneself out from defeat" a boo-able behavior?

I will say this again it is impossible to say why the crowd booed serena at that moment. Only few of the people who booed her would actually know. It was such a spontaneous act and, like all spontaneous acts, it's very hard for the person who booed to determine exactly why he did it. Even if they know, there is always rationalization and denial at work to muddy up the reason.
Hulet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #11
TeeRexx

kart - Maybe you need to do a little reading, my friend.

http://www.wilja.asn.au/

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpag...efid=761572789

http://www.culturelanguage.com.au/

Tee Rexx
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #12
country flag tennischick

tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all
wow! you expect this from Richard but Oracene? is this source credible?
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #13
country flag anton

anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light
yea i thought this was about her boobs too.
anton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #14
leslie

leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point
I was planning to take a trip there for vacation but now I change my mind. One could not pay me to go there. Also, no wonder Dokic would not play there again or go back there because the Australian people would boo her off the court.
leslie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #15
country flag Cam'ron Giles
Snitch

Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Race row over Serena boos (article)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kart
I wasn't aware that Oracene was an expert on Australia and its people.

Well, you learn something new every day.
You have to be an expert to know that Australia is ruled by people who much like Americans raped and stole from the lands indigenous people....??????????????????????????????

Will you be there?
Cam'ron Giles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote